Mechanical Mouse Industries

Dani-Sang

Notice: All my parts will have a folder prefix of MMI (Mechanical Mouse Industries) so you can easily locate them if you want to remove them or take a look in them.

advertjg.png

I call it the Ion engine, doesn't matter if it is an Ion engine it all, I just liked the sound of it.

Engine is extremely weak compared to the rest of the engines but it can run for ages with the ion fuel tank.

Some people might find it a useless module, other might like it to get perfect orbits with it.

Also it is carbon emission free!!!! To keep Kerbal & Space clean!!!!

(remember, only really use it when you are in orbit)

PS: Please tell me if it needs tweaking, I got a feeling many of you will find it tooooo weak. If so, I will increase it's strenght

Known Issues:

- No Sound: Trying to add custom sound but currently not working

- No FX: Current FX doesn't fit in the design.

(in other words, you need to watch your stage area, to see if it is active)

- Probably spelling mistakes (dyslexia ftl) - would appreciate if somebody could check them out.

Download v0.1(?) Here:

http://www.dani-sang.com/Content/Kerbal/MMI%20Ion%20Propulsion%20Pack.zip

-------------------------------------------

MMI Lite Satellite Service WIP (for v0.9)

wipkg.jpg

Basicly this will let you able to deploy a satallite in v0.9 without seeying it during launch because it will be within a hold.

In v0.9 you will be able to send this satellite into deep space (maybe escape velocity?) without having to reach that speed yourself.

Progress: Texturing is almost done - only cfg files and converting 3d files to .dae.

Satellites are kinda sucky atm because we don't have animation available yet. It doesn't quite look right launching a satellite with deployed solar panels.

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

I'm working on that ;) - Have a solution for it.

EDIT: Updated my main post with the solution which is comming along with v0.9

EDIT2: I went to Unity development page and I read somewhere that animation wasn't supported and I expect it will take a long time (not really sure, but I plan for the stuff I know)

I believe it was stated by Harv that the next major version of the engine will support animation.

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

Well, then I only need to replace the satellite itself within that pack and I'm done :) (+ I can start planning more with animation! :D)

• 2 weeks later...

Your Ions engine is fun, for now i succesfull to use it (after a 4th try ;P ) reach 15,000 m/s out of fuel whit 1 engine. idea you should try is maybe we can stack fuel tank, bc only 1 fuel tank is not enough. Today gonna re-try a 3 ions engine flight, has my first 2 try was no good...

P.S. for use them you need be Vesc or gravity will pull you back, but after they are lovely

HOwson makes a good point, you might change the names to 'Fuel Slug' (engine) and 'Generator' (tank)

(for more info, look up some of the various types of actual Ion drives, but the principle of a mass-reaction drive remains, though the mechanism is different than a chemical rocket - you need to accelerate some material out the back, and one system vapes a thin layer off the back end of a semi-inert block of something, and then charge-accelerates that vapor)

I'm looking forward to having a capsule specially designed to contain a satellite! My current work-around is using the 1-2m hollow couplers from Novasilisko's pack (see the Bejeezus and Courier I on my rocket post http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=1479.msg12987#msg12987 )

The down-side is you have to add some extra couplers and an SAS module in order to fit the smaller satellites inside properly.

Nice work!

I believe it was stated by Harv that the next major version of the engine will support animation.

Unity does support animation, for the models you import and bake into the project... those are very non-moddable. In fact, Unity has no native support at all for runtime loaded models. KSP uses a library that parses obj and dae files, but that library is very early in development, and has no animation support yet.

For now, all animations on the parts are being done through code (I think only the parachute has any animation, in fact)

Cheers

Real Ions Engine use fuel know has propelant, mostly a neutral gas, who pass a generator who ionize the gas, giving him more energy, who increase the thrust of the propelant.

Latest technology no more ionize the gas, but make it plasma. They gonna try it on ISS, if i remember correctly will be 1Mega-watt power, and will save 20% fuel cost of ISS orbit correction.

Dani-Sang a other suggestion make a Plasma Engine, more thrust but more heavy. Like 10 of thrust but 2x heavy.

There is too a other engine like those 2 said above, there is one too using radiactive element who very long half-life for use the radiaction emit for propultion.

Hey People, thank you for all the feedback.

Will start tomorrow working on the description of the parts and maybe I'll release the first WIP of the Lite Satellite Service.

Also I will be putting the mod back online.

Hello

(for me) which I just downloaded the lastest version of the ion pack. The engine doesn't actually go anywhere. Is this my error or an error in the files?

I am attaching it to the fuel tank right below my command module. It doesn't work on the launch pad or in space at any level of throttle.

The engine doesn't yet have exhaust or sound effects, but it does work. However, like a real ion engine, it has virtually no thrust, but also virtually no fuel consumption. Using a booster to take it vertically to 100,000 meters, I then turned it horizontal and started thrusting with the ion engine. I had gotten down to zero vertical velocity about the time I hit orbital velocity, and was up to 3900m/s and climbing like a dingbat by the time I reached burnout... two hours later.

Ion drives are not for use in the atmosphere, just like nuclear rockets. They're for use when you're already in space, and can run them for an extremely long time.

Nice parts!

Just a little tip: If you change the angle of the normals on the mesh to something like 30 degrees, the edges will appear a lot smoother in-game.

4DCVz.png

To:

YO9IB.png

Let me know if you need a hand doing that :)

HEY! HOW DID YOU DO THAT?

For some reason I tried everything to fix that but noting was working! HELP MEZ

I use Cinema 4D and then Use Blender to convert it... would be awesome if you could help me out with this!

Any chance we could get a smaller version of the engine and thruster? Real ion engines are extremely compact and tiny, and the large size of it is making it difficult for me to fit it properly inside more advanced staging, most notably with the detachable shrouds... I'm electing to use certain small liquid engines and fueltanks I picked up somewhere simply because they're half the size. In all honesty the full engine shouldn't really be any larger than the command module itself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.