The Grand KSP 1.0.5 Discussion Thread!

KasperVld

Well, burning up the used stage is not that bad, but does it have to explode like an nuclear bomb when there is nothing to explode in the old stage?

This is an example sequence:

old stage only consists of empty structure and the decoupler, which is used when decoupling.

Next stage's engine is igniting immedieatly.

Result is a nice explosion, larger than the vessel itself - and such an explosion should destroy the vessel as well, but it is completly undamaged.

So something is odd - either the explosion damage is missing or the explosion is way too big.

I think this behavior is pretty bad/shocking and never was this way before ... this is too much and just wrong.

And seperating the decoupling and ignition is also not working, as soon as the engine fires and the old stage is to near the same giant explosion will happen - and you can't just wait in the ascent phase till the stages are far enough from each other, you must fire the next stage to keep ascending - always getting a nuclear bomb set up :P

http://tekener.com/KSP/decoupling_in_1.0.5.jpg

Try this, it might work for 1.0.5: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/103114-DEV-HALTED-0-90-Blast-Awesomeness-Modifier-%28BAM%29-v1-1-1-2015-01-01

Probably mentioned before for 1.0.5...

2) Landing in water my ship sinks to the bottom of the ocean.

This happened to me when I tried out the 1.0.4-compatible version of Kopernicus with 1.0.5, but it is fine in stock. (The craft could not be recovered while sinking, but one stationary on the seabed - in 1km of water - recovery was possible.)

Minor point, but I had to check the build.txt file to see whether I had the latest version of KSP or not, it wasn't showing on the menu screen. I'm running the Linux version of KSP.

Have only had one quick play with 1.05 (just about to have my second, now I've got the patched version installed), looks good, nice work!

Minor point, but I had to check the build.txt file to see whether I had the latest version of KSP or not, it wasn't showing on the menu screen. I'm running the Linux version of KSP.

Have only had one quick play with 1.05 (just about to have my second, now I've got the patched version installed), looks good, nice work!

Me too, someone already has a support request in for it.

Played for the first time yesterday. Used the dev version of MJ, and KJR. Only one crash exiting to desktop. Seems to run a bit slower, but also seems to be much more stable. Sad that Pol wasn't fixed and I need to add radiators to all my miners, but pretty well done so far.

[quote name='parameciumkid']Is there a way to view previously accomplished World First Milestones?[/QUOTE]

The only place the completed ones show is in the blue world icon that's part of the message center button. If you've dismissed them from there, then you won't be able to see them in game. (They aren't listed anywhere else.)

I mean this in no disrespectful way whatsoever to our many modders out there, and I do realize that they all have their own lives, but it seems like it is taking an especially long time for all my favorite mods to be updated for the 1.0.5 release this time around. Maybe it's just me?

Maybe modders wait 1.1. It will need much work and they may think that it is futile to update now because they expect 1.1 to be published soon.

I think that overall stability of KSP is now better than in many versions. I can play several hours without memory or other problems. However, there are some rare sudden and strange things, nearly impossible to repeat. They are not due the memory leaks (bugs can happen at 3 G allocated memory whereas memory problems begin after 3.5 G) but restart of the game helps. For example sometimes some part of the craft hits to invisible part of the launchpad according at height of about 20-40 m from surface and explodes. Once a spherical tank near the pad exploded without reason before I hit the space to ignite engines. Craft did not damage and made nominal ascent.

So uh, I've observed something suspicious.

- The Gigantor Solar Array and some of the smaller deployable panels claim in their descriptions that they include "passive radiators on the reverse side for better heat dissipation" - but wait! There's no radiator module in the part CFG. So is radiator functionality included (redundantly) in both the radiator module and the deployable solar panel module? Or, since the addition of dedicated radiators, do solar panels not do anything about heat dissipation, and thus is the description lying?

- Similarly, the Engine Pre-cooler claims that it cools engines to improve performance, but again, there's no module apparent that does this. So same question(s) here - is the description lying?

Does anybody remember the name of the mod that allows you to activate engines that are in fairings? I had a weird issue where I had a craft with engines pointing toward the top and bottom and one set is off while the other is on, and when I turned one off it wouldn't let me turn it on because it was apparently 'occluded' or whatever it said.

[quote name='NathanKell']The mod is called "stock." :)
Engines now support adding
shieldedCanActivate = True
to the MODULE.[/QUOTE]

Been doing this stock for years. The things we have had to invent to circumvent! Edited by Majorjim

[quote name='parameciumkid']- The Gigantor Solar Array and some of the smaller deployable panels claim in their descriptions that they include "passive radiators on the reverse side for better heat dissipation" - but wait! There's no radiator module in the part CFG. So is radiator functionality included (redundantly) in both the radiator module and the deployable solar panel module? Or, since the addition of dedicated radiators, do solar panels not do anything about heat dissipation, and thus is the description lying?[/QUOTE]

The way I understand this is, that very part conducts and emits heat, but the radiator module is able to suck heat from two parts away?

[quote name='KerbMav']The way I understand this is, that very part conducts and emits heat, but the radiator module is able to suck heat from two parts away?[/QUOTE]

Before 1.0.5 radiators could pull heat from any part attached to the ship, heating up to the same temperature(and often heating any adjacent pieces from conduction)
Starting with 1.0.5 radiators not only pull from any attached part, but can also actively cool other parts, letting the radiator get much hotter than the part generating the heat, allowing better heat dissipation.

I have not noticed radiators heating up attached components, but I also have not done any interplanetary burns, so I may not have taxed them enough as of yet.

I can verify that deployable radiators can pull from quite a long chain of connections, as I have used them to cool twin boar boosters why they were over-heating during orbital insertion, even though they were on the bottom of the launcher and the radiators were up along the mid-section of the payload.

Have not tried fixed radiators that were not attached to the part to be cooled.

Today I had a nasty little bug on a modded install (Mech Jeb, AVP V2, EVE, Protractor, Docking port Indicator, Enhanced Navball, Asteroid Day, Hyper Edit, Alarm Clock). Have not encountered it before. After decoupling a stage on my ship in solar orbit, after 10-20 seconds, the ship starts to shake violently and tears itself appart. It doesn't matter if SAS is on or not. Warping time does not fix it. Going back to space center does not fix it. I have to mention that I have clipped fuel tanks in the design, but if this was the problem, I should have encountered the bug before staging and on other ships that have a similar design.

Here are the files, if anyone wants to take a look, and hopefully offer a solution (hope I have included all): http://www.4shared.com/get/tfWvf-Viba/KSP_Bug_files.html

Just load the quicksave on the ship "Icarus" in solar orbit and wait 10-20sec for the shaking to start.

I'm running the Steam version of KSP, so everything is up-to-date.

Edited by Sheppard

8 hours ago, Sheppard said:

Today I had a nasty little bug on a modded install (Mech Jeb, AVP V2, EVE, Protractor, Docking port Indicator, Enhanced Navball, Asteroid Day, Hyper Edit, Alarm Clock). Have not encountered it before. After decoupling a stage on my ship in solar orbit, after 10-20 seconds, the ship starts to shake violently and tears itself appart. It doesn't matter if SAS is on or not. Warping time does not fix it. Going back to space center does not fix it. I have to mention that I have clipped fuel tanks in the design, but if this was the problem, I should have encountered the bug before staging and on other ships that have a similar design.

Here are the files, if anyone wants to take a look, and hopefully offer a solution (hope I have included all): http://www.4shared.com/get/tfWvf-Viba/KSP_Bug_files.html

Just load the quicksave on the ship "Icarus" in solar orbit and wait 10-20sec for the shaking to start.

I'm running the Steam version of KSP, so everything is up-to-date.

I had that before in 0.25 I think.  Never could fix it and It was freaking annoying. 
I was not using any of the Mods you are using tho.  Very curious to what the Devs will reply on that issue.

17 hours ago, Francois424 said:

I had that before in 0.25 I think.  Never could fix it and It was freaking annoying. 
I was not using any of the Mods you are using tho.  Very curious to what the Devs will reply on that issue.

Posted this in the modded support section. I think it's more fitting there: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/126889-ship-shaking-violently-itself-apart-ksp-105/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.