The Grand KSP 1.0.5 Discussion Thread!

KasperVld

Pulled all mods out bug still repeatable in brand new save file either sandbox or career.

Was trying to post bug report this morning before work but home Wifi got slammed with traffic.

Noticed there is a solution on Linux in support already will see if it works on Mac OS tonight.

Hmm, well, I hope the solution works.

The new water model is better, but not good yet. the water has to much drag, so the planes land they stop too quickly.

The capsules are too resistant now. I've been managing to crash land a rocket at +500m/s. But let's say we believe the capsule can survive hitting the water at 1800Km/h because the craft has a shallow angle, since it stops in less than a second we are talking about 500G's! The kerbal should be dead. When I checked the flight results it showed the maximum gee forced endured: 12G.

I started a new career and I was expecting a lot less offered contracts on parts you dont own yet but I seem to have a lot of them. Maybe I misunderstood that part of the contract rework?

You can accept and complete contracts for parts you do not yet have unlocked. Once you accept the contract the game will temporarily unlock the part and give access to it in the VAB and SPH.

Happy landings!

So quick question to the devs:

While im not one to complain often about stuff, im wondering why the extreme nerf to spaceplane styled vessels in 1.0.5? With new heating, its is impossible to get anywhere near 1500m/s before you need to switch to rockets (in 1.0.4 you could get to ~1600m/s with a very sleek and low drag vessel). This is taking quite alot of dV away from spaceplanes, and actually ruins some of the very minimalistic just able to barely get into LKO variants. The other major thing is the apparent massive drag increases at medium altitudes. It doesnt affect lower level airplanes that stick to teh deck (actually drag to get to mach1 seems lower), and it doesnt affect rockets much either since those dont spend much time at medium altitude. But spaceplanes, that have their most critical moment being when switching from jets to rockets, have to hang around 20-40km and build alot of speed. Many previous vessels have lost from 1000-2000 dV after reaching orbit cause of these changes.

Also, while me (and im guessing many others) will adapt and just find some new way of making long range spaceplanes, was this change really necessary? Id like to know why it was made this way, cause all the new atmo/heating seems to do is screw over many 1.0.4 spaceplanes, and even though spaceplanes still work and are able to get to orbit, we get way less payload, less range, and any very low TWR model cant even get into orbit anymore.

Although the change from 0.90 to 1.0 was expected, why has teh aero been constantly changing ever since game went out of beta and ruining too many crafts? can we at least get it to a point where everyone is happy and LEAVE it there so that people wont have crafts breaking every single update?

Edited by panzer1b

Loving the update so far! I'm just having an issue with the fairings, they seem not to have any effect on keeping internal aerodynamics shielded during initial launch. It also seems that I'm not able to click directly on the fairing anymore to deploy it, only the base. I'm not sure if these are actual issues or not, or if I'm just an idiot, so, my apologies in advance! :sticktongue:

I love the new contract system that gives contracts for existing vessels.

A contract appeared to use a vessel in orbit around kerbin, expand it with a habitation module and land it on the mun! Great! However, upon close examination the vessel appeared to be a piece of debris... literally a decoupler, fuel tank and engine...

Perhaps I'm dumb, but I don't know how to transfer my save file from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5. I have both installs on my computer, in different folders, and when I copy my 1.0.4 save into my 1.0.5 save, I am unable to do anything with that save in 1.0.5. I can open up any building except tracking center, VAB, or SPH, but I can't leave a building since the exit button doesn't work. I can't do anything that goes between KSP and a ship, but I can directly load a ship (via named quicksaves I made while flying), but can't go from there to KSP, even though I have full controls of the ship like normal. I have no mods in 1.0.5 and I'm not sure what would cause me to not be able to do anything. I can't save the game, but I can load saves just fine.

Anyone have any tips, or did I copy it over wrong?

I'm having small issues with the decouplers since 1.0.5.

So far I used to set up decoupling and ignition of the next stage in the same stage sequence, which was working fine.

With 1.0.5 it still is working, however I always get a huge explosion which does luckily no harm but destroying the previous stage when decoupling and instantly ignite the next stage's engine.

Is this an intended behavior now?

I read something about thrust damage - could that be connected to this issue?

I am using KSP on Steam, so I assume I have the latest version including silent patch?

Edited by Tekener

I'm having small issues with the decouplers since 1.0.5.

So far I used to set up decoupling and ignition of the next stage in the same stage sequence, which was working fine.

With 1.0.5 it still is working, however I always get a huge explosion which does luckily no harm but destroying the previous stage when decoupling and ignite the next engine.

Is this an intended behavior now?

Yes, rocket exhaust does much more damage than before. You can either separate the decoupler and engine start into different stages or just live with burning up the spent stage.

Yes, rocket exhaust does much more damage than before. You can either separate the decoupler and engine start into different stages or just live with burning up the spent stage.

Well, burning up the used stage is not that bad, but does it have to explode like an nuclear bomb when there is nothing to explode in the old stage?

This is an example sequence:

old stage only consists of empty structure and the decoupler, which is used when decoupling.

Next stage's engine is igniting immedieatly.

Result is a nice explosion, larger than the vessel itself - and such an explosion should destroy the vessel as well, but it is completly undamaged.

So something is odd - either the explosion damage is missing or the explosion is way too big.

I think this behavior is pretty bad/shocking and never was this way before ... this is too much and just wrong.

And seperating the decoupling and ignition is also not working, as soon as the engine fires and the old stage is to near the same giant explosion will happen - and you can't just wait in the ascent phase till the stages are far enough from each other, you must fire the next stage to keep ascending - always getting a nuclear bomb set up :P

decoupling_in_1.0.5.jpg

Edited by Tekener

If it is just a visiual effect with no damage the explosion is useless and not necessary at all.

This should get removed. If there is an explosion visiual/sound, that there should also be an explosion effect/damage. If this is not the case the wrong visual is used ...

I tried around more and it just feels wrong and exaggerated - the more I test the more it feels like an unintended bug.

Yes, but they are a little over the top. :) Afaik KSP has a system of explosion spectacularity levels, so it might just need to be dialed in to be less, well, impressive. ;) EDIT: that said, I must admit that the giant blast on staging my beastly escape trajectory lifter was ridiculously satisfying.

Btw I love the space tourist missions, it got me to build a complete monster of a rocket so I could do them early in the game. :)

Edited by S1gmoid

Try this in the ascend phase and your craft won't get away from the old stage far enough to ignite the engine without explosion :P

If this is really meant to be this way by Squad they must update the decoupers to stronger push the craft away - otherwise this explosion thing has to get removed.

Maybe you like it or think it is correct, but is feels just wrong.

I think the explosions just add to the Kerbal aesthetic. It seems somehow appropriate that even perfectly working Kerbal rockets may have large explosions as part of the normal ascent process.

And it would be tragic if we did not have adequately large explosions for when thins *DO* go horribly wrong...

Just remember: Kerbal rocket components are generally much heavier and less performant than real life rocket systems, this lets them have the robustness needed to escape peripheral explosions unscathed.

Please leave the explosions be. I used to (back in all versions up to 1.0.5) use the dual side decouplers to decouple missiles since they exploded on launch for some reason, leaving an epic explosion that made it look like the ship was firing a cannon or something. Now i have a cubic strut placed in just the right spot to explode (and send my missile flying at the target), looks like the front of my ship is firing some massive cannons, and well, who doesnt like massive overdone cinematic explosions?

"All Batteries Fire! Fire!"

rMYCzdF.png

uwYMhmr.png

DrygeuK.png

1) Antennas don't transmit.

Antennae will now cut a transmission if you run out of power. The reason for this is because power interruptions significantly degrade the amount of science you actually get from a transmission. This is a toggled option though, if you right click the antenna you can allow partial transmissions, that will allow the transmission to complete over time as you generate power (as before) and degrade the science returns.

There was also a few issues with various addons that were causing antennae to misbehave after release. Do you have Science Alert installed?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.