Deep Diver Challenge: 1.0.5 Edition!

I am currently on hiatus until school lets up. Feel free to keep submitting stuff, just know you won't be on the scoreboard till christmas. Happy sailing, folks!

Alright, submariners, let's get to work!

Snuz1AK.jpg

A while back I ran a challenge that tasked you to get as deep into the ocean as you could. Now that hydrodynamics is overhauled, I figured it was time to revive it! It's the same deal this time around, so have fun.

Rules

No mods besides information or beauty mods, no hyperedit, no debug menu (which means no infinite resources). Your submarine has to be entirely stock parts, and must perform under the constraints of stock physics. Take as many pictures or videos as you like, but a picture of your craft at its maximum depth/speed/distance is required. Participating earns you a shiny badge!

Scoring These points will be tallied separately in different scoreboards, and then any bonus points are applied.

Down into the depths: 1 point per meter (i.e. 100 meters down, 100 points scored)

20,000 Leagues: Travel laterally underwater, score +1 point per meter traveled (this is hard to quantify, so that's on honor system, I guess)

Catch that sailfish: Travel the fastest underwater, score +1 point per m/s

Bonus points!

Mothership: Launch your submarine from a boat (sea planes also accepted), score x 1.5

Touched the bottom of the pool: Craft hits the bottom, score x 1.5

Swimming in fuel reserves: Perform challenge on Eve, score x 2.0

Sneaking into Carl Sagan's backyard pool: Perform challenge on Laythe, score x 5.0

Sleeping with the fishes: Bring an asteroid with you! Score x 5.0

Deepest dives

ydQ1omx.jpg

1. Neistridlar, with a depth of -2731 meters! Sailed the Sagan Sea, and reached a point that possibly nobody else has reached before. Final score: 20482.5!

2. Pds314, with a depth of -1226 meters! Beautiful submarine, and a fantastic undersea voyage. Final score: 1226!

3. Xiej, with a depth of -1161 meters! He deployed from a plane, and exploded at the bottom. Final score: 2612.25!

4. Fluburtur, with a depth of -1041 meters! He managed to hit the bottom, too. Final score: 1561!

5. Rudi1291, with a depth of -1036 meters! He launched from an enormous sea plane, and touched the bottom. Final score: 2331!

6. CatastrophicFailure, with a depth of -1005 meters! He was dragged to the bottom by an asteroid, our first on Kerbin! Final score: 7537.5! Well done!

7. Treldon, with a depth of -983 meters! He deployed from a cool seaplane, and hit the bottom. Final score: 2211.75!

8. WH40krules, with a depth of -942 meters! I'm not exactly how his design works, but it's certainly effective. Air-dropped from a plane, and touched (exploded on) the bottom. Final score: 2119.5!

9. Algwat, with a depth of -911 meters! Touched the bottom, and a sleek little design. Final score: 1366.5!

10. AeroArchonite_, with a depth of -903 meters! Managed to touch the bottom with a tiny jet plane that was never meant to sink. Final score: 1354.5!

11. FlipNascar, with a depth of -872 meters! Touched the bottom, and launched from a beautiful mothership. Final score: 1962!

12. Kokanee, with a depth of -864 meters! Launched from a mothership (which was tweak-scaled, for shame. The sub itself was stock, so no it's fine). Final score: 1296!

13. epicfacecanada, with a depth of -860 meters! Also, looks like he blew up his wheels, so had to have hit the bottom. Final score: 1290!

14. Stormdot5, with a depth of -856 meters! This guy gets style points for crashing into the sea floor and blowing up the planet. Final score: 1284!

15. Lego8_bit, with a depth of -824 meters... I think. I haven't had time to carefully watch his video yet. Final score: 824!

16. Jr6150x, with a depth of -601 meters! Love the design on this one. Final score: 601!

17. Findthepin1, with a depth of -223 meters! Touched the bottom, and a good use of the cupola. Final score: 334.5!

Furthest voyages

kc6Ire9.jpg

1. Neistridlar, with an undersea distance of 165.5 km! That sleek submarine design has really been serving him well. Final score: 165500! I'm beginning to think I should revise how scoring works in this category...

2. Pds314, with an estimated undersea distance of 110 km! You're a more patient sailor than I. Final score: 110000!

3. Treldon, with an undersea distance of 35 km! Deployed from a mothership, visited the bottom. Final score: 78750!

4. Jr6150x, with an undersea distance of 20.5 km! Final score: 20500!

5. FlipNascar, with an undersea distance of 13 km! Deployed from a really cool seaplane, touched the bottom. Final score: 29250!

6. Rudi1291, with an undersea distance of 4.7 km! Deployed from a mothership, and touched the bottom. Final score: 10575!

7. Kokanee, with an undersea distance of 4.2 km! Deployed from a mothership. Final score: 6300!

8. Stormdot5, with an undersea jaunt of 3.6 km! Final score: 3600!

Highest speeds

ZGik36g.jpg

1. Pending review: WH40krules, with a top speed of 400 m/s! He had to drop it from a plane to do it, but whatever works, I guess. The air-drop counts as a mothership, and he stayed at the bottom long enough to do an EVA, so final score: 900! Well done!

2: Neistridlar, with a top speed of 68 m/s! Final score: 102!

3. epicfacecanada, with a top speed of 45 m/s! He also probably touched the bottom at some point. Final score: 67.5!

4. Pds314, with a max speed of 41 m/s! If I was giving out style points, I would do so here. Final score: 41!

5. Lego8_bit, with a max speed of 30 m/s! Again, I'm going to look at this one more carefully, as I haven't had time to watch the whole video. Final score: 30!

6. Jr6150x, with a top speed of 24.1 m/s! Final score: 24.1!

7. Rudi1291, with a top speed of 20 m/s! Deployed from a sea plane, and touched the bottom. Final score: 45!

Hall of fame

This section is for entries that deserve special mention, and for entries that can't be put on the main scoreboard due to unfair advantage. For example, our first entry:

Pds314, who found a crack in the ocean floor and took a trip to the center of Kerbin. After several days of falling under steadily increasing g-forces, his submarine was destroyed by the Kraken just 25 km from the core, setting an depth record of 594,383 meters below sea level.

Neistridlar, who is our first contestant to perform this challenge on Laythe, and achieving the deepest oceanic depth so far. Well done!

Flurburtur, who is currently attempting an undersea circumnavigation of Kerbin. He's made it 700 km so far, and by my rough estimation he has another 3000 km to go. I wish him the best of luck!

Catastrophic Failure, who was the first to attempt several of our Bonus Points categories. He's our first competitor to attempt the challenge on Eve, with an asteroid no less, which unfortunately failed to sink. He's also the first competitor to bring an asteroid to Kerbin's chilly depths. Well done!

Edited by Red Dwarf

This is my First successful submarine in version 1.0.5

it is very basic and only uses one Weesley engine but is capable of goin up to ~45 m/s underwater.:)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm Planning on making a submarine that capable of launching a rocket from it while underwater and possibly using the Klaw(aka Advanced Grabber Unit) to make an under water base.

Unfortunately, you can't klaw planets (trust me, I tried). Any underwater bases are going to have to be kept there either by continuous thrust from upward-facing engines, or by having a negative net buoyancy, which is really hard. It might be possible if you attached it to an asteroid, but I don't think anyone's tested how they were effected by the new water physics.

Also, how deep can your sub go? I wanna put ya on the scoreboard, but you hid your UI :P

I was so hopeful about under water bases;.; My Sub went to about 870 meters below sea level before it hit the ocean floor.

It could've probably gone further If i can find a deeper spot out in the ocean but I haven't tested it further than that.

Again, that idea isn't necessarily dead. The large ore tanks seem to be negatively buoyant with a full load of ore, so you could probably build a design around a crapton of those. Also, really do test out the asteroids. Those suckers are heavy.

How do 1.05 subs work?

Basically, it's like flying, just when you don't get enough lift you fall up.

If you get enough speed, a few winglets can allow you to "fly" underwater. A few winglets is all it takes to keep you submerged, but as soon as you stop, you rise again.

So far, my prototype has reached a depth past 1 kilometer, but I've encountered a problem: you can't see the ground when you go that deep, so you have to navigate by maps... which is hazardous at 41 m/s.

I should probably redesign to give it unlimited range via ISRU.

Okay, apparently you can SOMETIMES see below 1 kilometer depth. SOMETIMES.

Edited by Pds314

Here's my atempt:

http://imgur.com/a/Abo0n

Not sure if exploding at the bottom counts, but the last one made it partially intact at 919 m.

This is a great entry, but I'm really confused about how you're sticking to the bottom in that last photo. Why didn't the cockpit start rising to the surface as soon as your sub exploded?

This is a great entry, but I'm really confused about how you're sticking to the bottom in that last photo. Why didn't the cockpit start rising to the surface as soon as your sub exploded?

I think that the cockpit has negative buoyancy, I don't know how it would work otherwise.

My submition for this challenge.

Depth: 890m, touching.

Speed: Level: 67.8m/s. Vertical: 81.8m/s

Distance: 11.5km

The journey:

http://imgur.com/gallery/yTZN0/new

If I can find a deeper spot I could easily reach deeper. If I did not use 4x time warp, I could also go much further. Do all the scores need to be from one single trip? If not I might better my scores. Especially the distance traveled.

I have reached 1226 meters BSL! In a craft I deem the KSS Salacia.

I could have perched on the bottom there, had I not jettisoned the ore from one of the tanks earlier, changing the craft from heavier-than-water to lighter-than-water.

As for distance.. just... no. I will not spend 2 hours gunning it full power, or 8 hours at 25% power, trying to set that record. It would be about 275 kilometers on full power, or 550 on 25%. The gauge lies though, so it would say more like 400 and 800 km.

Top level speed seems to be around 39 m/s, although it can go faster if it is diving or pulling up.

As is necessary for a craft of this size, this thing is mucking massive. 221 tonnes on the runway, 216 after jettisoning the land wheels.

Racing toward the shore:

vObwHOi.png

It's quite noticeably heavier than water:

CvLJo8W.png

We don't need wheels anymore:

u4OpkLs.png

I'm sure someone will find a use for them:

9nJR8yf.png

Cruising along:

Puh7cti.png

High-speed pass meters from the seafloor:

nMBEBxB.png

Depth record: 1226 meters!

fZ2wL3Z.png

And.... we are not going to space today.

n6wT9zM.png

But we are going a thousand feet into the sky! Thanks to the power of bouyancy!

RhGXDJB.png

Edited by Pds314

For folks looking for deeper points to perform this challenge, this website may prove helpful. The deepest part of the ocean looks to be south of the KSC. Also, Laythe's oceans are mad deep.

Thanks for the link. I found a place in the crater oposite to KSC that is over 1300 meters deep. Now to get a submarine there....

if you mean size just look at the size of the ones in my signature, it's the standard size for badges. As for design I don't know, maybe something simple like the K-Prize one but with a submarine. Maybe different badges for different levels like "deep dive" or "fast sub" if you feel very good about it.

I coudl help you design them if you want.

Clarification. You marked mine as 970 meters when it was 1226. The 970 was a teaser and not a depth run.

And I didn't bother taking a photo, but seeing as I consumed 1453 units of fuel using an engine that, at max power, consumes 0.515 per second, and I travel at 39 m/s, I moved at least 110 km. Probably more, since I throttled back to 25% thrust and 50% speed for part of the journey to save fuel, doubling my fuel economy. I'm pretty sure I went a solid 10 times further than the current record holder.

Edited by Pds314

Hold yer horses, bucko :P I saw your followup entry, but I haven't had time to add you to the leaderboard yet. I'm working on a badge for you guys right now, so gimme a little time to get things sorted :)

Edited by Red Dwarf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.