Deep Diver Challenge: 1.0.5 Edition!

Alright... I have journeyed to the core of Kerbin and every Kerbal was rescued/recovered alive after their craft broke up just 25 kilometers from the core at 244 m/s.

576 Gees was what it took to rip parts off the Submersabus. It got within 12 kilometers of Kerbin's core before it fully disintegrated. Fortunately, none of the passenger-containing parts are denser than water, so THIS: didn't happen to them.

DDCGMZo.png

That's the result of three of those ore containers reaching within 6 kilometers of the core. They move so quickly that they overheat and explode Had the ship been set to unbreakable, the cockpit would've likely suffered the same fate. What you don't see here is that these things were moving FAST. Over 4.5 kilometers per second upon detonation.

Obviously, this isn't a regular, viable entry, but I would say I touched the bottom, reached a depth of 575 kilometers fully intact, had a top speed of 244 m/s fully intact, and traveled just over 600 kilometers under water. :D

The core is definitely not solid, despite turning bluer when something explodes in it. Turning off max temperatures results in parts going through the core, bouncing around inside Kerbin getting ludicrously fast and hot, and then flying off into deep space at ludicrous speeds and temperatures.

Edited by Pds314

I tried to make a shuttle out of a Vector engine and a Mammoth engine, though the thrust was too much and the thing exploded. The challenge here is being able to get a craft that goes quickly underwater. I don't care if it's downloaded or not.

That brings me to my point. Since I don't have the expertise to do a plane-drop, I'll ask for the second-quickest craft, which is Neistridlar's submersible. If I could have the download, that would be cool. I want to discover the depths of Kerbin's oceans.

Might find some rare bugs down there too.

Here you go.

Submarine craft only:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucjvtoj399e3fn8/Sub1.craft?dl=0

Submarine with interplanetary rocket:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nc6slbovw4aj44r/Sub1R2.craft?dl=0

Here's my depth record:

http://i.imgur.com/Xel4Sed.jpg

And yes, that is on the ocean floor. Silly Jebadiah, your face would be crushed by the immense pressure. EDIT:​ You can also see the huge crack in this photo, though I didn't see that until I posted this.

How did you manage to make Jeb stand on the cabin like that? In all of my underwater EVA adventures, my Kerbals went belly-down in the water the moment they let go of their hatches.

How did you manage to make Jeb stand on the cabin like that? In all of my underwater EVA adventures, my Kerbals went belly-down in the water the moment they let go of their hatches.

Looks like he's sitting in a seat.

I think I beat the depth record...

I must've fallen through a crack in the seabed. The Submersa-bus is now inexorably falling toward Kerbin's watery core at 8 meters per second.

http://i.imgur.com/QIhc2O7.png

http://i.imgur.com/KAO06CB.png

I have no idea what happened, as I was AFK and asleep.

See you in about 24 hours when I figure out what happens to a Submersa-bus upon encountering a black hole.

Actually, since the G force should increase considerably, it could be significantly sooner.

I saw The Core once. This and following reports about this is almost as good. :D

You may be the first person ever to reach a planet's core through a hole in the ground. If it's water the whole way through, that's a major breakthrough for Kerbinology. :D

Edited by Findthepin1

To confirm what Geher said, yes, this is a seat that Jeb was sitting on. I tried to EVA him and he flew up out of the water.

Thanks Neistridlar! I'll post my results soon.

Eeeh, I dunno. Light parts probably don't have much of an effect on the performance of your craft, so I guess that's fine. Just so long as those are the only mod parts. This is supposed to be a test of your engineering prowess, part of which is working with a limited selection of building materials. If the stock lights are too big for your craft, then I'll allow for smaller mod lights, but the spirit of the challenge is working with what you have.

Also, side note: Sorry I haven't updated the scoreboard in a few days. I've seen all your entries, and they're great, but I've just been super busy with school. I'll get to it soon, I swear!

Also, side side note: If you see your name on the scoreboard, feel free to rip the appropriate badge from the OP. You've earned it!

I know it might be a little out of contest because that's part of another challenge but what if I entered my submarine for the furthest voyage? So far it went 693km :cool:

(I think I would get 1040574 if I calculated right 639km, 1040 meters deep and average speed of 34m/s plus I touched the bottom. It would be a bit unfair to get in the scoreboard but damn that's a lot)

Edited by Fluburtur

I know it might be a little out of contest because that's part of another challenge but what if I entered my submarine for the furthest voyage? So far it went 693km :cool:

(I think I would get 1040574 if I calculated right 639km, 1040 meters deep and average speed of 34m/s plus I touched the bottom. It would be a bit unfair to get in the scoreboard but damn that's a lot)

That is a lot. I agree with you that it would be kinda bananas to put that on the main scoreboard, since it's leagues further than anybody has tried thus far. I could probably put it in the Hall of Fame, because it's a seriously impressive feat.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i.imgur.com/HN4PbmL.jpg

First go at Laythe, and in my chosen spot the glitch capped out at -2705. Hmm.

Wait, so is your depth the result of a glitch? If so, I can't put you on the main scoreboard. You'd be the first person to try that glitch on Laythe, so there's at least a hall of fame entry here, but I need to know what you did first.

Wait, so is your depth the result of a glitch? If so, I can't put you on the main scoreboard. You'd be the first person to try that glitch on Laythe, so there's at least a hall of fame entry here, but I need to know what you did first.

If you go to http://www.kerbalmaps.com/ you will find that the oceans of Lathe is actually this deep in a lot of places. The ground seem to stop rendering when you pass 1km depth (on all bodies). The hit box is still fine for the most part though (some people might disagree).

Not a stellar entry, she's a pig to handle. Too buoyant at that rear. But, it works. And it fits in a cargo bay. So we have the DSV IA brought to water by the frankly ugly Sea Hippo.

I travelled about 12km before I got bored... Went down to 847m, but got stopped by the ocean floor and got up to a rounded down 13m/s. 872*1.5 = 1,308.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I have DONE IT! I got into the water in a functional vehicle I built, the Sea Car 4B. It's a derivative of the Sea Car 4, which I just did a Mission Report on, and that's based on the Sea Car 3, which itself is a heavily modified Sea Car 2, the larger version of Sea Car 1. Somehow transferring Bob to the cupola makes the craft shatter. Thankfully, Bob got to the cupola before the pilot compartment shot off like a rocket towards the surface, peaking at 38 meters above sea level before falling again. Along with all the wheels. By the way, RTGs sink.

Here's your pictures.

7OftB9c.png

2YZarMy.png

uOE9zl5.png

rAEvzXZ.png

The rules say we need a picture in the VAB, a picture in the sea, and a picture at the deepest depth. I didn't build it in the VAB, so I took a picture of it in the SPH. Also, the picture in the sea and the picture at the deepest depth are the same individual picture. I only took one underwater. However I video'd the descent so I can get another picture underwater but I don't feel like it because this should be enough to qualify me to have done the challenge.

Also, I had built two other things to try this contest (a rocket submarine and the regular Sea Car 4), but both of them used the debug menu, and I didn't know that that wasn't allowed because I hadn't yet read the rules, so I had to delete their pictures. This submarine didn't use the debug menu or HyperEdit or the other thing or anything resulting from them. I can get more pictures on request, as I said I video'd the event beginning at ocean entry. Also I did EVA from the cupola afterwards and swam Bob up to the pilot compartment on the surface.

Do I qualify? Can I get the signature banner now? XD

Edited by Findthepin1

I have DONE IT! I got into the water in a functional vehicle I built, the Sea Car 4B. It's a derivative of the Sea Car 4, which I just did a Mission Report on, and that's based on the Sea Car 3, which itself is a heavily modified Sea Car 2, the larger version of Sea Car 1. Somehow transferring Bob to the cupola makes the craft shatter. Thankfully, Bob got to the cupola before the pilot compartment shot off like a rocket towards the surface, peaking at 38 meters above sea level before falling again. Along with all the wheels. By the way, RTGs sink.

Here's your pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/7OftB9c.png

http://i.imgur.com/2YZarMy.png

http://i.imgur.com/uOE9zl5.png

http://i.imgur.com/rAEvzXZ.png

The rules say we need a picture in the VAB, a picture in the sea, and a picture at the deepest depth. I didn't build it in the VAB, so I took a picture of it in the SPH. Also, the picture in the sea and the picture at the deepest depth are the same individual picture. I only took one underwater. However I video'd the descent so I can get another picture underwater but I don't feel like it because this should be enough to qualify me to have done the challenge.

Also, I had built two other things to try this contest (a rocket submarine and the regular Sea Car 4), but both of them used the debug menu, and I didn't know that that wasn't allowed because I hadn't yet read the rules, so I had to delete their pictures. This submarine didn't use the debug menu or HyperEdit or the other thing or anything resulting from them. I can get more pictures on request, as I said I video'd the event beginning at ocean entry. Also I did EVA from the cupola afterwards and swam Bob up to the pilot compartment on the surface.

Do I qualify? Can I get the signature banner now? XD

Everybody that participates in the challenge gets the banner! You can go ahead and rip it from the OP.

My Entry:

I launched my plane, and piloted it to the Ocean south of the KSC.

Then, I decoupled my 'Lead Weight' Submarine(Forgot to actually put crew in it), and

used 7 parachutes to land around 4-7 m/s.

It sunk to the bottom, and I used the other 2 parachutes on it to slow it down before impacting the bottom. The 2 parachutes failed,

and the small ore tank exploded, leaving 8 radial ore tanks on the ocean floor.

The Kraken attacked, and sent a few parachutes below the surface, and I got to around 1240 before I accidently went back to the space center...

I went to the Tracking Station, and found out that they got shot out of Kerbin orbit:huh:.

I got to 1161 m below sea level, launched from a plane, and touched the bottom, so I think it's 2612.25 points?

Pretty large picture album.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="e1tn4"><a href="//imgur.com/e1tn4">Deep Diver Challenge</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

e1tn4

e1tn4

Also, how do I post an album?

Edited by xiej

Isn't it easy to do this challenge? Just drop a pod into the ocean form the stock craft Mallard with parachutes. Very easy.

I mean... I guess? If that's as much effort as you want to put into it, then yeah, it's pretty easy. However, you might find it more challenging if you actually put some energy and thought into it.

Challenges like this aren't for beating. There's no win condition. Challenges like this are for trying things you might not normally try. They're about testing out your skills as a pilot and an engineer. They're about showing off unique ideas and impressive achievements. They're about having fun. If your gonna look at it on a surface level, and not really engage, that's your prerogative.

I mean... I guess? If that's as much effort as you want to put into it, then yeah, it's pretty easy. However, you might find it more challenging if you actually put some energy and thought into it.

Challenges like this aren't for beating. There's no win condition. Challenges like this are for trying things you might not normally try. They're about testing out your skills as a pilot and an engineer. They're about showing off unique ideas and impressive achievements. They're about having fun. If your gonna look at it on a surface level, and not really engage, that's your prerogative.

Well this challenge definitely did challenge my... memory. I kept forgetting the ore in the pods.

But that is exactly what I did.

There were a couple of aspects, such as my first landing with a Mallard on the island runway, finding a landing location for the pod and actually remembering the chutes (don't ask) challenged me.

Don't count this if you want. Just wanted to do something for a change.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.