[1.1.2]NSS/OctoSat-SOAR S3-A300 (Modular Satellites, Reusable launchers)[0.72- 11Jun16]

Nookos

On 5/20/2016 at 5:50 AM, Nookos said:

I've been thinking about splitting the fuselage. The problem is that I went for a close replica of the actual A300. So it's not perfectly horizontal, and the shape is not uniform all along..not ideal for interchangeable parts. Still I keep this idea in mind, and it would be great to offer some alternatives for this plane.

Here's my suggestion: you have one part for the cockpit, one part for the main fuselage, and one part for the tail. That would mean that the fuselage piece can have different versions: crew-less which weighs less, maybe a science lab, or one with more fuel. Even something like SOFIA. That way, you don't have to remodel the parts, and it still gives the player some options.

I also don't think I was very clear, sorry. What I was saying about the flaps and is that there's a lot of buttons in the right-click menu. It could be simplified to "toggle flaps" and "deploy airbrakes," and I threw out the idea that their animation could be made to show them as separate flaps, so it doesn't look like one big wall is coming up off of the wing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of things I've noticed with the octosat parts:

The side dish module texture for the case is darker than all the other parts.

With Remote Tech, the antennas don't obey the 'can control antennas without a connection' option in RT. With the option enabled, you can turn on antennas on a probe even without a signal, but the octosat antennas still say "no connection to send command on". Not sure if this is easily fixable, I'm surprised it doesn't automatically work...

The M900 survey scanner could do with a patch to add SCANsat support, as you can disable stock scanning with SCANsat, but when you do, the M900 still behaves like stock. I'll try making a patch for this soon anyway, I'll post it if it works out.

Otherwise loving these parts, all the animations are particularly awesome! :cool:

LOVE this mod. The Octosat components are beautifully designed. I fancied playing around with the A330 and S3, so downloaded them from Spacedock (The CKAN download doesn't include them) but not sure if they work in 1.1.2 yet. I can take off fine, but something goes wrong as you pick up speed and it auto-stages leaving you clamped to the A330, unable to control anything at all. (If they are compatible, any idea what I'm doing wrong? Haven't changed the craft file. (The A330 on it's own is fine)

The Octostat parts seem fine in 1.1.2 though - apart from comments already made on this forum. 

But it's a gorgeous mod. Definitely be watching keenly to see how it develops. Props to Nookos. This is quality stuff. 

Edited by BinaryBad

On 22/05/2016 at 5:46 AM, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Here's my suggestion: you have one part for the cockpit, one part for the main fuselage, and one part for the tail. That would mean that the fuselage piece can have different versions: crew-less which weighs less, maybe a science lab, or one with more fuel. Even something like SOFIA. That way, you don't have to remodel the parts, and it still gives the player some options.

I also don't think I was very clear, sorry. What I was saying about the flaps and is that there's a lot of buttons in the right-click menu. It could be simplified to "toggle flaps" and "deploy airbrakes," and I threw out the idea that their animation could be made to show them as separate flaps, so it doesn't look like one big wall is coming up off of the wing.

Splitting the fuselage might be a good option indeed. It goes on my list. I am not sure how to clean the right-click menu for the wings but I ll have a look.

On 01/06/2016 at 0:08 AM, pocok5 said:

Could you take a look at the part costs of OctoSat components? The parts seem rather overpriced, with a single fuel tank costing the same amount of money as my early game Minmus science probes.

I just did. Thanks for pointing it out, I kept on postponing reviewing those parameters. Some prices went down, some up. It is much more inline with stock now. Still open for review though.

On 02/06/2016 at 3:42 PM, Rodger said:

Just a couple of things I've noticed with the octosat parts:

The side dish module texture for the case is darker than all the other parts.

With Remote Tech, the antennas don't obey the 'can control antennas without a connection' option in RT. With the option enabled, you can turn on antennas on a probe even without a signal, but the octosat antennas still say "no connection to send command on". Not sure if this is easily fixable, I'm surprised it doesn't automatically work...

The M900 survey scanner could do with a patch to add SCANsat support, as you can disable stock scanning with SCANsat, but when you do, the M900 still behaves like stock. I'll try making a patch for this soon anyway, I'll post it if it works out.

Otherwise loving these parts, all the animations are particularly awesome! :cool:

Thanks for mentionning these. I have no clue how I missed the side dish shader problem. It's fixed now. 

The Remote Tech issue is more of a problem for me. It seems like it is linked to the signal processors included in the probe cores. The regular antennae are fine. I'm going to ask about a way to fix this in the Remote Tech thread. To be continued.

I included a patch for the M900 and ScanSat in the latest release. Just in case here it is on its own: ( this is the same patch used on the M700, I might modify it later as they are different)

Spoiler

@PART[OctoSat_Sc_M900]:FOR[SCANsat]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleSCANresourceScanner
		sensorType = 524288
		fov = 5
		min_alt = 15000
		max_alt = 1000000
		best_alt = 150000
		scanName = Resource Scan
		power = 0.5
	}
}

On 06/06/2016 at 1:06 PM, BinaryBad said:

LOVE this mod. The Octosat components are beautifully designed. I fancied playing around with the A330 and S3, so downloaded them from Spacedock (The CKAN download doesn't include them) but not sure if they work in 1.1.2 yet. I can take off fine, but something goes wrong as you pick up speed and it auto-stages leaving you clamped to the A330, unable to control anything at all. (If they are compatible, any idea what I'm doing wrong? Haven't changed the craft file. (The A330 on it's own is fine)

The Octostat parts seem fine in 1.1.2 though - apart from comments already made on this forum. 

But it's a gorgeous mod. Definitely be watching keenly to see how it develops. Props to Nookos. This is quality stuff. 

Glad you like it. The A300 and SOAR are very much work in progress. So they are not easy to use for now. I am not sure what is going wrong for you. I double checked though, and the craft file works. One thing to keep in mind is what part is the control part. It's important to control it from the nested part ( satellite probe core or thirdstage). However I have no clue why it would stay clamped to the airliner. If you have more info on the way it happened I could try to reproduce the problem.

23 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

@Nookos Is there a bug in the Octosats? I can't change the colors. There isn't even a choice to change them, it's just yellowish.

The only problem I know with texture switch, is with the big top dish. It works in VAB/SPH but it goes back to gold ingame. Apart from that it should be fine. Make sure you didn't delete folders or files. Make sure you are not trying ingame but rather in SPH or VAB.

So here is a tiny update. Sorry for the long delay. Not much happening on this for a while but still planning to finish it, eventually, as real life settles down a bit.

⦁    Values tweaked for all OctoSat parts. Most apparent changes made to prices and masses. Much changes to heat management.
⦁    Added octosat tag to all OctoSat parts.
⦁    Fuel cell consumption fixed for liquid fuel + oxidizer.
⦁    Fuel cell can convert monopropellant too.
⦁    Fixed Side Dish module's shader.
⦁    Attempt at heat management tweaking. ( quite a failure so far, but there shouldn't be any differences for the user)
⦁    AntennaRangeRelay contract pack compatibility. 
⦁    Scansat Patch for M900.

Edited by Nookos

1 minute ago, Nookos said:

The only problem I know with texture switch, is with the big top dish. It works in VAB/SPH but not anymore when ingame. Apart from that it should be fine. Make sure you didn't delete folders or files. Make sure you are not trying ingame but rather in SPH or VAB.

It doesn't work, I right clicked on them in the VAB, but there weren't any texture switches available.

1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

It doesn't work, I right clicked on them in the VAB, but there weren't any texture switches available.

Make sure the folders are still in your GameData. If you are unsure, delete your previous version and install a new one. 

1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

To make sure i don't delete anything important, which files do I need to delete?

LLSmXTV.png

Ok you might not need to delete anything. Just put back module manager in your GameData folder. Seems like you accidentally deleted that one and it is the problem. And the source of many other problems you have.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2016 at 9:10 AM, Kadrush said:

Is it working on 1.1.3?

a general rule of thumb, atleast in my experience, is that if it works for 1.1.2 then it probably works for 1.1.3 with little, if any, issues. 

also, @Nookos, there is a small problem with how you set up the hotrockets config/patch that is causing issues with all the plumes ingame : 

On 7/16/2016 at 8:13 PM, Jso said:

The OctoSat and WarpPlugin mods have incorrect configs for their plumes. The mod authors need to change the lines that read @PART[XYZ]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen] to read @PART[XYZ]:NEEDS[RealPlume,SmokeScreen] instead.

Remove those two mods and see how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the S3 launch system with a300, i love the concept.

Your A300 is beautiful.

It gives me memories of the space shuttle Hermes.

Picture of Hermes on the A300 (just for the transport not for the launch... but.. but... is great !)

UEzPAgwfcxowdJ6b9WPorjnIlB9ALdEbEPJlo_Ew

On 27/07/2016 at 2:04 PM, 123nick said:

a general rule of thumb, atleast in my experience, is that if it works for 1.1.2 then it probably works for 1.1.3 with little, if any, issues. 

also, @Nookos, there is a small problem with how you set up the hotrockets config/patch that is causing issues with all the plumes ingame : 

Thanks for the aswer 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Nookos It looks like you haven't been active for awhile on the forums, but, should you resume this, I'm still super hyped about seeing the A300 finished.

@linuxgurugamer, saviour of mods, here's tagging to see if you're interested (I mainly want to see this beautiful A330 work finally).

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2016 at 4:58 PM, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

@Nookos It looks like you haven't been active for awhile on the forums, but, should you resume this, I'm still super hyped about seeing the A300 finished.

@linuxgurugamer, saviour of mods, here's tagging to see if you're interested (I mainly want to see this beautiful A330 work finally).

Looks interesting, I'll add it to my backlog

Just curious, have you tried it in 1.2, and if so, what were the problems?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

53 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Looks interesting, I'll add it to my backlog

Just curious, have you tried it in 1.2, and if so, what were the problems?

I've tested the Airbus at least, and there doesn't seem to be any bugs.

However, the main issue is that the landing gear/wheel code wasn't working, so the original creator removed them a few updates ago, but you can still find the models and all on the backlog on Spacedock. Unfortunately, I haven't found his github, but hopefully the wheels can be fixed in the config. So there's holes in the fuselage where the wheels would go.

Other things are that the wings' right-click menu is a mess, and the tail fin should have the flag module. 

12 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I've tested the Airbus at least, and there doesn't seem to be any bugs.

However, the main issue is that the landing gear/wheel code wasn't working, so the original creator removed them a few updates ago, but you can still find the models and all on the backlog on Spacedock. Unfortunately, I haven't found his github, but hopefully the wheels can be fixed in the config. So there's holes in the fuselage where the wheels would go.

Other things are that the wings' right-click menu is a mess, and the tail fin should have the flag module. 

I'm not sure I'll do the Airbus, probably just what's shown on the OP

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not sure I'll do the Airbus, probably just what's shown on the OP

Honestly that's the main part that I'm interested in, but it's your choice ultimately. I haven't tested the rest of the mod for 1.2, but I imagine it only needs some updates to be consistent with KerbNet, etc.

10 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Honestly that's the main part that I'm interested in, but it's your choice ultimately. I haven't tested the rest of the mod for 1.2, but I imagine it only needs some updates to be consistent with KerbNet, etc.

Well, it's going to be a little while before I can do anything, I'll post once I get started

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.