[1.1] Stock jet Turbines resurrected

Bloody_looser

Stock jet Turbines resurrected

JAK9Njf.jpg?1

Basically, MM config to bring back stock jet engine turbines.

Recommended for: Turbine lovers

Not recommended for: VTOL builders :wink:

Requires Module Manager.

Initial release.

Added missing line for the RAPIER engine.

Download from SpaceDock

Edited by Bloody_looser
Reupload

Ooops, overlooked the RAPIER, it was supposed to get a turbine too. Fix incoming.

Very cool. This will be one of the first mods I install when I get around to installing 1.0.5.

Well, that's the first thing I looked into, since I really like the turbine idea. Enjoy :wink:

Already? Few hours after 1.0.5, a mod is released. Looks good

It's all about timezone. Ah, who am I kidding, haven't slept anyway. :D

Edited by Bloody_looser

Why weren't they included in 1.0.5? They made such a big hype about them in one of the recent devnotes!

VTOL's don't have stock VTOL engines, and the turbines stick out. That might be more technically accurate, but until we get things like Harrier-style thrust vectoring this kinda kills VTOLs, at least visually.

Why weren't they included in 1.0.5? They made such a big hype about them in one of the recent devnotes!

Officially - this. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/138338?p=2281298&viewfull=1#post2281298

Unofficially - pretty much that:

VTOL's don't have stock VTOL engines, and the turbines stick out. That might be more technically accurate, but until we get things like Harrier-style thrust vectoring this kinda kills VTOLs, at least visually.

May I ask.. How did you get the models?

Indeed, like pizzaoverhead said, they were in the release, just turned off by default. If you go into each engine's config there is an option to turn them on. :) (They really should made this more well known)

And to answer the CoM question, the CoM is already outside of the engine when the turbine is turned off. With the turbine on, the CoM falls where you would expect with a giant turbine there. :)

Indeed, like pizzaoverhead said, they were in the release, just turned off by default. If you go into each engine's config there is an option to turn them on. :) (They really should made this more well known)

And to answer the CoM question, the CoM is already outside of the engine when the turbine is turned off. With the turbine on, the CoM falls where you would expect with a giant turbine there. :)

Restating: The COM *doesn't* move -- it just becomes more obvious where it sits because of the visual model? Rad.

Meaningless justification really. It's kerbal space program, not kerbal F-35B program. I don't see how VTOL jets will get you to space.

Meaningless justification really. It's kerbal space program, not kerbal F-35B program. I don't see how VTOL jets will get you to space.

Would you be so kind not to start that bs ITT? Please.

Turbine discussion is there http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/138338-The-new-longer-jet-engine-models

And it's pretty much discussed all over. :)

Possible bug report: On the Wheezly, the electric charge meter in the right click menu doesn't work with this mod enabled. The engine still produces EC, but it doesn't register on the meter. Not sure if this is a problem with the other engines.

Once I removed this mod, the EC meter worked again on a new craft, but still didn't work on the old one, even after launching a new flight. :confused:

O2dHANq.png

Possible bug report: On the Wheezly, the electric charge meter in the right click menu doesn't work with this mod enabled. The engine still produces EC, but it doesn't register on the meter. Not sure if this is a problem with the other engines.

Once I removed this mod, the EC meter worked again on a new craft, but still didn't work on the old one, even after launching a new flight. :confused:

http://i.imgur.com/O2dHANq.png

Will you post .craft files for both affected and not-affected planes?

It could be possible to obtain both feature, using Firespitter plugin to switch meshes (with turbine, and without)...

... I'm looking to this option, at the moment, for personal use, but I'm not so great with the option of that plugin (even if I have it already for other mods).

I just tried it again and I can't get it to replicate, so it may not be your mod, just some weirdness on the part of KSP.

Well, in my install these display thingies do not work on all the engines (both jets and chemicals), though electricity flows. From .craft files it looks like it has something to do with the new enable/disable staging feature.

It could be possible to obtain both feature, using Firespitter plugin to switch meshes (with turbine, and without)...

... I'm looking to this option, at the moment, for personal use, but I'm not so great with the option of that plugin (even if I have it already for other mods).

Tried to do that via stock ModuleJettison and failed miserably, since for some reasons I could not unpack the turbine model. Firespitter is an option indeed, though I'd like not to grow mod dependencies. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.