Parachute Problem

Pawelk198604

Noticed the red parachute icon in staging bar, means its unsafe to open the chute.

Secondly you acent is to steep, you never slow down enough now in that angle before you reach save parachute deployment, or maybe you will cut it close here with a fraction later deployment, cut the movie was for me to low res to be able to read, but my judgement tells me you never will make it safe back in that acent now.

Use next time a shallower angle, and wait before deployment beeing not red. Red means in this case Dead ..

I started running into the same issue when I tried to do suborbital contracts by strapping tourists to my largest solid booster and then firing straight up. By coming in (almost) straight down, you don't slow down enough to deploy chutes before you hit the ground. Same thing happens on Duna where the atmosphere is super thin. The solution is to either come in more on an angle (putting you through much more air before the ground), or adding drogue chutes to deploy earlier than your mains (though you may not have those unlocked yet).

Watching your launch, it looks like you have far too much vertical velocity as you come out of the atmosphere. You've got the right idea with the gravity turn, you just have to be more aggressive. My rule of thumb is 45 degrees by 10k meters, and 75-80 degrees by 20k meters. If you use the same rocket and adjust your profile, you'll have the more gradual re-entry that you need to survive.

In case you're interested: This isn't a Kerbal-specific problem. NASA is developing a balloon like device to deploy around the capsule to slow it down enough for 'chutes. Here's a video of their latest test, check out 1:20 to watch their chute get destroyed.

Edited by SgtSomeone
add video

I started running into the same issue when I tried to do suborbital contracts by strapping tourists to my largest solid booster and then firing straight up. By coming in (almost) straight down, you don't slow down enough to deploy chutes before you hit the ground. Same thing happens on Duna where the atmosphere is super thin. The solution is to either come in more on an angle (putting you through much more air before the ground), or adding drogue chutes to deploy earlier than your mains (though you may not have those unlocked yet).

Alternatively you can increase the surface area by rotating your craft so that instead of falling top/bottom first it falls 'sideways'. It won't just slow you down faster but after a while, when you can't keep the craft horizontal anymore but at an angle you'll gain 'sideway' acceleration due to assymetric forces, which will increase the distance you cover and thus slow you down even more.

I usually do my suborbital tours with a top stage of 3 Mk1 command pods on top of each other + 3 chutes (Mk16+2*Mk2R). With an uncontrolled fall I'm lucky to slow down to safe speed around 700m above sea level. With turning it sideways I reach same speed at around 2500 meters (plus I can actually get closer to KSC).

Could this problem be related to the "missing body lift" bug? Slowing down was very difficult right after 1.0.5 was released. Haven't tried after the hotfix yet ..

Thanks now is much better :)

does i can redesign my rocket to make it orbital capability?

Download and install Kerbal Engineer Redux. There you'll see your Delta-V, and if the total is around 4.500 m/s or more, you'll make it.

Thanks, now i just need to unlock the "Terrier" engine to switch "flee" SRB to "terreir" with liquid fuel. I need to de-orbit it later on :)

- - - Updated - - -

Kerbal Engineer Redux is incompatible with new update :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.