The Kerbin submarine circumnavigation challenge

Welcome to the Kerbin submarine circumnavigation challenge!

1447187632-2015-11-10-00020.jpg

What is this? Well like the title says you have to sail around Kerbin in a submarine (or optionally a boat) following the map below

1447186508-bordel.png

There is a little bit of everything here, open sea sailing, deep dive in the crater and a lot of coast following.

Rules:

Well, you just have to do it. No hyperedit or such of course expept for getting in the water directly at the end of the runway.

You must play as stock as possible for the challenge.

Don't touch land (you can still touch the bottom of the ocean)

You must tell me the name of your glorious submarine, what category you are entered for and how many passengers you have on board.

Mods allowed:

Any esthetics mods

Mechjeb as long as it doesn't pilot for you

Parts mod as long as it's fair (no OP props or balast)

I would encourage you to use Peristent Trails

Surprisingly enough you can use KerbinSide, if you don't wanna have a flight around the planet just to drop some fuel.

What you must not have: Pretty much everything that changes hydrodynamics

What you should absolutely do:

Have a map or something like that so we can follow your path (ex: screenshots in map mode linked together)

Have refuel mission (like dropping a fuel tank from a plane near your surfaced submarine, and please do a screen to show your epicness) you may do this the way you want, but again no cheats.

Have fun, do nice reports like those

Categories:

Heavier than water:

Lighter than water:

-Fluburtur underway with KS60 Seal. Crew: 1

-Lego8_bit with Gargantua refuel-er. Crew: 16

Boat:

I dont' know how to do the scoreboard, it could be based on mission time and distance with maybe a multiplier for epic refuelling or stuff like that, tell me how I should do it.

You can submit mods that add ore under the oceans but everyone shoud use the same if you do, you can also submit a path for Laythe or alternate paths for Kerbin (which will be noted "alt path n" in the scoreboard)

That is about everything, this is the first challenge I make so it's maybe not perfect and I might change stuff along the way but hopefully we can have fun with this because I will be doing it with you. Feel free to suggest stuff :cool:

EDIT: Here is the promised badge, I used this image as a base

1447190199-challenge-badge-small.png

Edited by Fluburtur

Hi, I'm new here, I would like really to enjoy this challenge, but two things.

1. Can I use waypoint manager to make easier follow the trail?

2. I think put a buoy every 10km is impossible, to short distance, for a very very long distance. The refuel is OK, but the buoy every 10km isn't possible.

And I think it's better do a video for this thing.

I am going to attempt this challenge now :D Awesome idea i will post everything on imgur and post a link here ;)

Good decision, the more peoples will attempt this challenge, the more peoples will get interested and also try it

(does that make sense?)

Im also uploading a video of my refuel mission.

Refuel video is up in my mission log

Edited by Fluburtur

Well, since you can't actually go around Kerbin in a circle because a continent is in the way you have to go back and take a different route to go back to the starting point. That's a good occasion to see some stuff, I never expected this to be this interesting but I really love driving my sub. Only last time I saw an eclipse and what looked like regular land but a few meters underwater.

We never know what adventure awaits.

Well since it's easy to have a vertical speed of less than a meter per second and I would still suggest watching what your sub is doing (you know, coasts exists as well as area that are not deep)

You can easily let your sub going by himself for more than 70km, he will eventually start to go up again because of the curvatuer of the planet and you sometime have to turn.

I could modify the MechJeb rule but it would take a bit off the challenge, plus it's far less boring that it seems.

In the SPH ready to part on its journey (i don't know if it floats or sinks.)

By the way is it ok if i take screenshots in map view each 10 km?, or could a master preach to me the knowledge of planting flags underwaterTHz7YjX.png

This would float for me, also there is no ore underwater so you should put those drills and converter aside and do refuelings like me. My experience with cargo bays also shows that they like to float a lot and I would use wheesleys instead of pathers, better fuel efficiency. But do whatever you want. (maybe check my mission log to see what my sub looks like, so far my experince says "simpler is better")

And yes you can take as much screenshot as you want, I would also encourage you to make a mission report in the appropriate forum.

Good luck and have fun :sticktongue:

+SpaceplaneAddict, I allow you to teach wizardry to the young submariners but I would like to see do the challenge too. BTW good luck on Tylo.

Edited by Fluburtur

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.