[1.0.5][Dec 15, 2015] Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP) 0.3: Air Flights, Tours, Coast Guard, STS

inigma

What should I name this pack? I need help deciding before 1.0 release.  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What should I name this contract pack?

• Aerospace Exploration and Rescue Operations
    • Giving Aircraft a Purpose
    • SSI Aerospace

SSI Aerospace 0.1 released. 3 new contracts: Shoreline Tour, KSC Islands Survey, and a Helicopter/VTOL prototype test mission. 0.1 since the code base was updated to be ready for expansion now that all basic concepts have been tested and proven with these total now 7 contracts. All future contracts will be variants of these principles. Requires Contract Configurator 1.8.2 (you can download the current development version here: [url]https://github.com/jrossignol/ContractConfigurator/archive/master.zip[/url])

Updated OP with some pics.

With SETI being put on hold, I was wondering if I should go ahead and allow this mod to unlock basic aircraft parts upon contract acceptance, even at tier 0 research. Make them experimental, and if the player is successful, they get to keep the parts, if not, they have to wait to grind it using whatever tech tree they may happen to use. Thoughts?

Much progress has been made on the road to 0.2. Testing the bleeding edge of Contract Configurator, and nightingale has been furiously attempting to accommodate my support requests. I owe him a lot. This mod would not exist without him. At all.

So quick update before the forums go down:

I've developed a helicopter/vtol test, landings, flag planting, and have found the perfect spot for an island resort that you can deliver tourists to either by boat or seaplane:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SnOu7V7.png[/IMG]

just working out a few kinks to figure out the best way to spawn the dock. if i can't get the dock to spawn, I'll just use bungalows on the shore as a destination. Or both if I can get the dock to spawn too without exploding.

Ok, I'm not sure how to modify polls, or even remove the current one. Thinking over and over again, I think the name for this pack actually is quite obvious:

Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose

Why GAP? because it fills a current GAP in stock contracts to give aircraft a real purpose in the game.  Also the name has "aircraft" in it, which is the focus of the Contract Pack anyways. Anyone else agree?

2 hours ago, TheSpaceManiac said:

Perhaps you could integrate the maritime element with Fengist's maritime parts pack...

Not entirely certain. I really want to focus on aircraft at the moment, although this pack will provide a few basic boat and submarine missions, the purpose is to provide a context for using aircraft to rescue or resupply them, or transfer crew.

I don't mind considering expanding into a Giving Boats a Purpose contract set in the future. You are of course welcome to join this project yourself and help develop boat contracts if you'd like. My source is MIT in the hopes others will hop on, or Squad takes it over. It would be awesome if this project were to evolve into a General All Purpose (GAP) contract pack covering contracts that just seem to be missing in stock KSP.  This is why I think calling it Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP) now is best since it can then evolve into a larger GAP pack.

What I'm currently debating is on whether or not to unlock for the player the Command Seat and a few other small parts to allow players to begin making simple boats and aircraft right from the start, regardless of which tech tree they are using.  I'm thinking about making it a general option contract, declinable if the player wants to grind out the parts separately.

Edited by inigma

I am formally renaming this project to Giving Aircraft a Purpose. It is, after all, my original intent.  Sea or Land contracts only exist to serve the context of using aircraft in this pack. Expansions in those areas may come, but not until 3.0 of this pack (STS missions) is released.

I am still open to a name change though, but its a toss up now between the 3 remaining poll options.  If people REALLY like the other two names, I'll change it to what is more popular, before I release 1.0.

Edited by inigma

7 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Now you need a "Mind the GAP" reference of some kind in your contract pack. :cool:

Haha. Will do.

Speaking of...Nightingale Cay dock... ive lost many a kerbal to the cold waters through the gap between dock and ship/seaplane while testing.  I'll see what I can do to warn intrepid adventurers to Valentina's Island about that gap for sure.

Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose 0.2

Requires Contract Configurator 1.9.0 from https://github.com/jrossignol/ContractConfigurator/releases

• Added KSC Island Tours: Flight 38 - Nightingale's Cay - Tourists: 2-6 (a fully spawned beach dock and tiki hut getaway)
  • Added Kerbal Space Program: KSC Island Airfield Preparation (land two Kerbals, put one in the hangar, the other in the control tower room)
  • Added Kerbal Space Program: KSC Island Landing (plant flag by Tower)
  • Added KSC Island Tours: Flight A (fly 2-4 tourists over islands and back)
  • Added KSC Coast Guard: Rescue Certification (navigate to near shoreline surface waypoint and pickup Kerbal in water)
  • Added Wright Aeronautical: Airplane Ride - Tourists: 1-2
  • Added SSI: A Visit to Shuttlecraft Systems Inc. (giving players a default set of tech to start enjoying this mod, primarily Command Seat)
  • Renamed Coast Guard Rescue Fishermen to KSC Coast Guard: S.O.S. Distress Call (Speedboat)
  • balanced rewards for various missions. SSI science, Island Tours funds, Coast Guard reputation, Airlines focus funds and small science and rep, KSP same as Airlines.
  • added random number of passengers to all contracts with passengers
  • KSC Island Tours now pays out on a per passenger basis. More passengers means more money.
  • added contract dependencies
  • added new logos and made all logos transparent
  • reformatted all contracts to follow code order: requirements, description, behaviors, parameters
  • requires Contract Configurator 1.9.0
  • renamed project from SSI Aerospace to Giving Aircraft a Purpose
  • Total Contracts: 14

Whew that was a lot of work. Thanks to @nightingale who spent dozens and dozens of hours readying Contract Configurator 1.9.0 after my constant stream of enhancement ideas, bug reports, and general support questions. Thanks to @seanmcdougall for fixing Take Command to work with Contract Configurator. Also thanks to @severedsolo for helping me out with a few support queries. You guys are awesome! With the above ground work, all concepts for this pack have been tested and fleshed out. I expect updates to be easier and more frequent now!

Now all I  need is for someone to play the contract pack as it stands now and give me feedback. :)  Have at it! Let me know what you think of it so far! 

What I need most of all is your thoughts on what starter technologies to offer with the initial contract. Surely Command Seat is one of them. I figured adding rover wheels to get boats to the shore would help too (along with batteries to power them, a chassis to set them on, and a decoupler for those not using the Take Command mod but want to build Command Seat craft).

After you read my DEVNOTES in the second post, I am also interested in hearing what you think I should include in this pack.  I was thinking of maybe merging KAB's contracts with this pack since the mod author appears to be away.

Edited by inigma

Nice inigma! I was just working on my custom career to get planes into the game a little early and that screenshot in the OP and that you threw into the Contract Configurator screams exactly what I was looking for! Checking it out right away!

One minor niggle to report: The zip contains the path 'GameData/ContractPack/GAP', whereas all the other contract packs are in 'GameData/ContractPacks'.

Ed. And one small suggestion: Do you suppose the coast guard rescue certification contract could err, gift you a ladder? I'm guessing it's meant to be an early-ish contract, and they can be pretty far up the tree depending on which branch you take first... I sure got it when I had no ladders. :(

Edited by steve_v

10 hours ago, steve_v said:

One minor niggle to report: The zip contains the path 'GameData/ContractPack/GAP', whereas all the other contract packs are in 'GameData/ContractPacks'.

Ed. And one small suggestion: Do you suppose the coast guard rescue certification contract could err, gift you a ladder? I'm guessing it's meant to be an early-ish contract, and they can be pretty far up the tree depending on which branch you take first... I sure got it when I had no ladders. :(

That's some niggle. Thanks for reporting it! Fixed.

Ladder? Yes you bet. Ill gift the cheap rungs in 0.3.  If CC adds negative funds processing, I'll be requiring funds from the player to accept the goods - maybe 60% of their current funds just to "join" SSI and benefit from the program.

Edited by inigma

I'm happy to see that this mod makes to the surface :)
One of things that I added on personal "to do in KSP" list as soon as my limited free time allows it.

It will certainly brings some joy in creating planes trough career playtrough, thanks for creating this.

This looks like a very nice pack. Just started testing 0.2 and I've found a small snag with the "Beach your boat..." parameter. It requires a state of LANDED (which I've got) and a speed of 0.0 which my boat never quite achieves even with the engines off. Maybe changed to less than 1 m/s instead?

QEvhMig

Edit: image embed didn't seem to work see: http://imgur.com/QEvhMig 

Edited by Aelfhe1m
broken image

8 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

This looks like a very nice pack. Just started testing 0.2 and I've found a small snag with the "Beach your boat..." parameter. It requires a state of LANDED (which I've got) and a speed of 0.0 which my boat never quite achieves even with the engines off. Maybe changed to less than 1 m/s instead?

QEvhMig

Edit: image embed didn't seem to work see: http://imgur.com/QEvhMig 

Weird. Looks like a floating point error in KSP or something with the boat not somehow coming to a complete stop.  The floating point issue was fixed in CC 1.9.0. Do you have CC 1.9.0 installed?

If so, I'll put this on the to-do for 0.3 and change it to require a 0.1 landed speed. If you don't want to troubleshoot this, you can do this now by editing the  IslandTours-Shoreline.cfg file with the ReachState set to maxSpeed = 1.0, and then reload KSP. You will need to probably cancel the current mission and do the mission over though.

Edited by inigma

6 minutes ago, inigma said:

Weird. Looks like a floating point error in KSP or something with the boat not somehow coming to a complete stop.  The floating point issue was fixed in CC 1.9.0. Do you have CC 1.9.0 installed?

If so, I'll put this on the to-do for 0.3 and change it to require a 0.1 landed speed. If you don't want to troubleshoot this, you can do this now by editing the  IslandTours-Shoreline.cfg file with the ReachState set to maxSpeed = 1.0, and then reload KSP. You will need to probably cancel the current mission and do the mission over though.

I have it rouding to the nearest 0.1, so anything less than 0.05 would be considered stopped.  That seemed to be good enough in my testing, but I'll change it to be even more aggressive for a zero speed and look for anything less than 0.5.