1.05 Texture Quality for Some Parts has been Downgraded

Landge

1.05 introduced lower quality graphics for some of the parts.

Compare the text on the probes and chevrons on the Mk-2 in the following images:

(Click on the pics and use Imgur's magnifying glass to enlarge images).

IitM42kl.png

eZs5ymWl.png

The text on the Probes, Mk-2 Capsule, and ASAS is definitely blurrier.

"Avionics Access", printed above the chevron between the two forward view ports, is no longer legible.

Same goes for the chevrons and hazard diamond on the Mk-2.

Take a close look at the Mk-2 Control Panel in IVA on the next two pics.

fDBuW80l.png

oV9GVQCl.png

The 1.05 version's Nav Ball text, angle and degree marks is also blurrier than before. The text on other instruments is to a lesser extent.

These are just some of the first parts I've noticed and not all parts suffered this fate though there maybe more. Sound out if anyone else finds some too.

I hope this is just an error for this release and not a sign of things to come. I like reading the fine print :)

Both texture quality and terrain detail are always set to half when you do a completely fresh install. It has been this way for as many versions as I can remember.

This was never a problem for me because fresh installs launch in such a tiny window, the first thing I do after installation anyway is to go into the graphics options to change everything :P

Looking at the full scale original .dds texture in the game files it looks like this:

lTDTNhI.jpgEyxGaE8.jpg

Basically, the texture file ingame has barely legible text already. The reason you can read it is that smoothing and your brain turn this mess of pixels into letters for you. :cool:

I assume that at some point the texture size was decreased and a couple of parts where this lead to bad quality slipped through QA. A solution would be to increase the texture size by 2x and rearrange the textures in the UV map so they won't get stretched quite as much:

wr2xWv8.jpg

However, that's not something you can do in 5 minutes, even if the old files in high resolution are (hopefully) still kicking around.

Would be nice to have though. :cool:

Are you sure that "Texture Quality" in the settings is at full res and not something less?

Graphics Settings was the first thing I check. I set the Terrain Slider to "High". Render Quality to "Fantastic". Texture Quality was set to...

"Half Res"...

DOH! How stupid of me to have missed that. My apologies. Mods please close or delete this post.

I assume that at some point the texture size was decreased and a couple of parts where this lead to bad quality slipped through QA.

It happened when dds was made native. Was either 0.90 or 1.0.

Quite a few parts were made even smudgier than usual. The 3-man capsule is probably worst offender. I've often wondered why there hasn't been more discussion of it, but I assume a lot of people don't remember the change.

Well, we got all these new toys like contracts and so on to distract us. The real problem however is that some parts, especially the new plane parts look very crisp and some of the old parts really stand out now. Some of the biggest eye-sores are the old 1.25 and 2.5m tanks. They look pretty out of place with most other parts like the science lab, cupola...

One of these is not like the others....

i6zJPOK.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It's even worse if you need some 2,5m fuel tanks for planes. They stand out like a sore thumb imo:

LcqiXqN.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.