Did 1.0.5 make enclosure fairings useless?

EdFred

Before the update I had some very simple Mun landers enclosed in an Airstream Shell- one built with 2.5m lifter rockets and a 2.5m Airstream Shell, and one made with all 1.25m parts - and 1.25m shell.

Now when I launch these, the rocket flips over every time - even if I attempt to launch completely vertical with no turn, change turn altitude, go slow, go fast, keeping acceleration to under 12m/s/s, with MJ, without MJ, doesn't matter. So, I turned on the aero-forces (F12) and there is some RIDICULOUS drag forces - and it's all coming from inside the Shells. What's the point of the Shells if they don't actually eliminate drag from what you put inside them?

Drag was decreased at lower speeds, and vastly increased at high speeds around teh altitudes of 20-40km. Ive found it best to do a somewhat less shallow gravity turn, where you get above 40km before you really start to gain alot of horizontal speed. At least thats what ive learned over the last few days with 1.0.5.

That, or there is some bug with your craft or with farings, but ive yet to notice it as my rockets work ok.

My experience has been that fairings do help a lot with getting aerodynamic forces under control, but they don't totally eliminate them--they themselves are lifting parts. The result is that you tend to get a center of lift to the side of the rocket and great instability if you don't add additional aerodynamic control surfaces to the first or second stage. But once you do that everything is just fine again.

Unfortunately, I'm not at my main machine so I can't post pictures, but I'll try to do that when I can.

This is what is happening:

Lift and drag from invisible places.

http://webpages.charter.net/edfred/kerbal/

Screen shots and craft file at that link.

I completely remade the craft in 1.0.5 - in fact started a whole new sandbox so nothing was left over from 1.0.x - and it's still happening.

Doesn't matter if the rocket is short, or long, I made it longer hoping the winglets would counteract the lift that's well out beyond the nose, and it doesn't matter.

Please note, as Edfred's pictures clearly show, the aerodynamic forces (drag and body lift) are from the fairings, misplaced, but none shows about enclosed parts. There was a recent report about this very issue in Support, detailed enough to allow verification; following that, the issue has already been reported by me and acknowledged by developers, I'd hope it will get fixed for KSP 1.1 if not earlier.

Unfortunately this discussion should have been conducted in Support, this isn't the place and I invite any further relevant posts be done in that thread to keep consistency. Thread closed.