What happened to the SPACE in KSP?

Foxster

Lots of new stuff in the last release from people like Porkjet for the aircraft, seaplane and submarine enthusiasts but space doesn't seem to be much of a priority to any of the devs.

Getting to and from space doesn't seem to even have been tested much going by the heat bugs that have appeared for Kerbin and Eve.

So, what is this game now? Some kind of airplane & submarine sim?

What do you make of the Vector then? Anyway most "spacey" things are bound for 1.1 right now, and the increased part count thing will certainly benefit spacecraft the most so just hang tight.

I don't know. When I'm reading the devnotes I see all this stuff about "real" wheels and not that much about rockets and such. We've had "air & sea" in 1.04, I think we get "land" in 1.1

I wouldn't mind seeing Porkjet's Habitat pack getting an update and making it into stock.

I don't know. When I'm reading the devnotes I see all this stuff about "real" wheels and not that much about rockets and such. We've had "air & sea" in 1.04, I think we get "land" in 1.1

I wouldn't mind seeing Porkjet's Habitat pack getting an update and making it into stock.

Better wheels would be an important step forward, rovers are currently the highlight of space exploration.

Squad received data that indicated that most of players time is spent on Kerbin. So they've decided to make a plane and water simulator.

Personally, I think they should have taken that data as a hint that they needed to enable easier spaceflight options (such as Manuever and DV planning) and provide more gameplay on other planets.

What do you make of the Vector then?
I make it one part.

Where are the new space challenges? The newly discovered planets, the weird things on other planets, the next solar system, the new technologies, the space aliens?

You can fly airplanes and sea planes around but what's the point of them really in KSP? Lets get out to the final frontier!

Is there is an imagination deficit at Squad?

Edited by Foxster

Lots of new stuff in the last release from people like Porkjet for the aircraft, seaplane and submarine enthusiasts but space doesn't seem to be much of a priority to any of the devs.

Getting to and from space doesn't seem to even have been tested much going by the heat bugs that have appeared for Kerbin and Eve.

The water changes are really a space tool in disguise. While all the fishies are playing around on kerbin, lets look skyward.

What planet has water and is one of the more popular destinations for colonization? Laythe. Notice its lack of landmass. Flat land there is a valuable commodity and needing it for a runway is wasteful. Now, all we need is flat land with coast access and we have a runway that covers the planet! Being able to touch down at speed also means we dont need giant wingspans and VTOL engines like this old monstrosity. We can now bring much smaller planes that land much faster and are a lot easier to stick onto rockets. It means we can build SSTOs capable of water landing and takeoff.

It also means landing on Eve's oceans is not guaranteed death. Don't let the current submarine craze fool you. This opens a lot of doors beyond Kerbin. Most people though are too busy sinking things to realize this though. Give them some time, they'll come around.

Does doing stuff extrakerbinarily count as "space"? because there's other surfaces & atmospheres which benefit from the new stuff. Going to tell NASA that they should hand over their Mars rovers because they're not in space?

&

The water changes are really a space tool in disguise. While all the fishies are playing around on kerbin, lets look skyward.

yup or tell them they don't like water also ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ & xDr

https://www.google.fr/search?q=astronaut+training+pool i love the img result for that query.

this also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_Buoyancy_Laboratory

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Better water makes for better surfaces of Lathe and Eve!
Whoopee do!

We need this game to progress beyond building a pointless base somewhere and making little tweaks to the game to achieve that.

I want attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion and to watch C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate!

Edited by Foxster

Some people go to space and some people like to stay on Kerbin. Its about having a choice and doing what you want. Airplanes are a huge part of the game.

Subs and boats are icing on the cake.

I don't go any further than the Mun because that's my choice.

People don't venture out as much anymore because once you get to a planet there is very little to do. And designing a ship that is interesting and gives you things to do on the surface is very hard. So most people just hang out on their own doorstep. Plus, it's instant gratification, and easy.

People don't venture out as much anymore because once you get to a planet there is very little to do. And designing a ship that is interesting and gives you things to do on the surface is very hard. So most people just hang out on their own doorstep. Plus, it's instant gratification, and easy.

Yes and why does squad not tackle that - make outer space more unique and fun.

yup may be this or that Jim, for example, when discovering ksp i went full rocket and planet exploring stuff an totally not played with plane stuff, so now doing it on the late, but overall i have spent much much more time playing with rocket thing than plane thing. Also the update introduced lot of fresh cool stuff and changes, so let's play with it too after all ; ) when everyone will be at ease with the last introduced things we will see lot of ssto/boat/submarine thing i guess

Yes and why does squad not tackle that - make outer space more unique and fun.

I don't know. I do know that Squad want to improve the planets though. What the 'improvements' will be i don't know.

I prefered the way Duna looked before it was 'improved' so I wouldn't hold your breath.

- - - Updated - - -

yup may be this or that Jim' date=' for example, when discovering ksp i went full rocket and planet exploring stuff an totally not played with plane stuff, so now doing it on the late, but overall i have spent much much more time playing with rocket thing than plane thing. Also the update introduced lot of fresh cool stuff and changes, so let's play with it too after all ; ) when everyone will be at ease with the last introduced things we will see lot of ssto/boat/submarine thing i guess[/quote']

Yeah me too. My first days where spent trying to land on the Mun in the demo. Personally I play for the space exploration. I do however enjoy making a kerbin craft from time to time.

Completely agree with Foxter. For me, KSP is currently sadly lacking in the actual space exploration department. Or rather, space exploration has been allowed to fall behind fripperies like planes and boats. No - I don't really care about either. My choice - I understand it's not everyone's choice.

Forget about icing - I'd like some cake please. I don't need c-beams glittering in the dark (in fact I actively dislike going military in KSP), I don't even need much to look at once I get to another world (although that would be nice). But I would really, really like to have some new stock parts for space stations. Some stock options for building things in orbit. Some stock options for building bases that aren't a motley collection of Hitchhiker modules and landing rockets.

Heck lets push the boat out (har) and go for some actual moving parts, so that I can build a nice little rover, launch it in halfway sensible payload fairing and then unfold and deploy it after landing. If we can build Space Shuttle replicas in KSP, then I want to build decent Apollo 15-17 replicas too!

Edited by KSK

No - I don't really care about either. My choice - I understand it's not everyone's choice.

not only a matter of choice , what i mean is how many square meters is kerbin, the mun, minmus etc ... "populating" all that an "interesting way" is a lot of work and headaches probably

also has anyone found yet some original monocelluar life form records in the deepest eve and laythe (jool) ocean location ,'') ?

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

I don't need c-beams glittering in the dark (in fact I actively dislike going military in KSP)
Me neither. Was just a fun quote from Bladerunner about how exciting stuff happens in space. Edited by Foxster

Me neither. Was just a fun quote about how exciting stuff happens in space.

that because you not met yet the tyranausaurus rex or space traveling ants troopers from outer space on a far far away planet a long time ago ; ) aside that dunno may be Neil DT and his pals has some theories.

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Completely agree with Foxter. For me, KSP is currently sadly lacking in the actual space exploration department. Or rather, space exploration has been allowed to fall behind fripperies like planes and boats. No - I don't really care about either. My choice - I understand it's not everyone's choice.

Forget about icing - I'd like some cake please. I don't need c-beams glittering in the dark (in fact I actively dislike going military in KSP), I don't even need much to look at once I get to another world (although that would be nice). But I would really, really like to have some new stock parts for space stations. Some stock options for building things in orbit. Some stock options for building bases that aren't a motley collection of Hitchhiker modules and landing rockets.

Heck lets push the boat out (har) and go for some actual moving parts, so that I can build a nice little rover, launch it in halfway sensible payload fairing and then unfold and deploy it after landing. If we can build Space Shuttle replicas in KSP, then I want to build decent Apollo 15-17 replicas too!

Agreed, especially about the moving parts & base parts (yes yes I know there are mods). Personally I have spent very little time with the aircraft etc., I have nothing against it but the reason I play the game is for SPAAAAACE! (I did actually get a plane to fly the other night, but it was the first one I did anything more than slap a few parts together and give up as soon as it crashed immediately after take off!) I see the attraction of building planes and especially SSTOs but it does feel like the SPAAACE part is being neglected somewhat.

I agree that now that we have somewhat working atmo and reentry heat we need much more versatile station/space building.

But that said atmo update was imo even more needed because souposphere and no reentry heating. Now that those are taken care of we can again start focusing on outer space stuff :)

I hope that next big thing will be more station/base parts, more interesting planets and possibly new (in some way very extreme) planets

Me neither. Was just a fun quote from Bladerunner about how exciting stuff happens in space.

Aye. :) Sorry - that wasn't intended to be a snark at you but just a way of pointing out that I'd be happy with relatively modest updates to the space program part of KSP.

The way I see it, being on Kerbin, flying planes and stuff, can be a lot more fun for many players. Squad is appealing to different crowds. In this update, they added more realistic jet engines and added some long-needed bouyancy fixes, and in future updates, I'm sure they'll return to space. They can't do everything at once.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.