(In development) Standardized Fuel Tanks

MAFman

It has always bugged me how the stock fuel tanks don't seem to follow any sort of convention as to comparative sizes. I'd like to standardize the fuel tanks to contain, say, 10 units of fuel/oxidizer mix for the smallest, then 50, then 100, then 250, then 500, then 1000, then 2500, then 3000, and so on, up to the largest Kerbomax tank. This would make designing rockets using math so much easier :). Can someone help me with the math?

I recently made a post asking about this but forgot to post my findings. I wanted to know the ratio of a tank's volume to its dry mass and how much fuel it holds.

We'll take the FLT-200 tank. It's 1.25m in diameter (don't care about the visual aspect, with how the actual diameter is smaller) and 1.25m tall.

pi*0.625^2 = 1.227

1.227*1.25 = 1.5339 litres

It contains 90 Liquid Fuel.

90 / 1.5339 = 58.67 units of Liquid Fuel / litre.

The ratio of liquid fuel and oxidizer is 11 units of ox for every 9 units of LF, so oxidizer is 71.71 units of Ox / litre.

Re: dry mass, the FLT-200 weighs 0.125 (tons?). That works out to 0.08 / litre.

Try again with the X200-16. It contains 9.2 litres. Unfortunately running the numbers gives it 78 units of liquid fuel / litre, and 0.1 ton per litre. So it's not consistent. Dern.

I know right? That's the whole point of me startng this thread lol. I want KSP's measurement units to be consistent! :P

I recently made a post asking about this but forgot to post my findings. I wanted to know the ratio of a tank's volume to its dry mass and how much fuel it holds.

We'll take the FLT-200 tank. It's 1.25m in diameter (don't care about the visual aspect, with how the actual diameter is smaller) and 1.25m tall.

pi*0.625^2 = 1.227

1.227*1.25 = 1.5339 litres

It contains 90 Liquid Fuel.

90 / 1.5339 = 58.67 units of Liquid Fuel / litre.

The ratio of liquid fuel and oxidizer is 11 units of ox for every 9 units of LF, so oxidizer is 71.71 units of Ox / litre.

Re: dry mass, the FLT-200 weighs 0.125 (tons?). That works out to 0.08 / litre.

Try again with the X200-16. It contains 9.2 litres. Unfortunately running the numbers gives it 78 units of liquid fuel / litre, and 0.1 ton per litre. So it's not consistent. Dern.

Is there someone who is better than me at math, who can help me standardize the fuel tanks?

How many liters are there in one "unit" of each resource (liquidFuel, Oxidizer, MonoPropellant, SolidFuel, XenonGas, etc.)? (for figuring out fuel amounts)

What is the density of each in kg per "unit"? (for figuring out tank mass)

What is the volume of each of the stock tanks? (again, for figuring out fuel amounts)

Edited by MAFman
Clarification of goals.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.