Clouds in stock KSP

I think that just porting to 5.3(5.4?) will be enough for 1.2, I`d prefer that they consolidated all the changes made recently and got rid of some of the bugs before moving on to adding new bugs...

Maybe clouds for 1.3 or 1.4.

I'd hope clouds will be added, that's a big neat part of all those space station pics of Earth.  So long as they (weather too) are on control sliders like in FSX/Prepar3d they would be a nice realism addition.

On 11/12/2015 at 10:46 PM, Motokid600 said:

I have no clue how Space Engineers does it. Is SE a Unity game? Can you even land on planets with a seamless transition? I know Squad has experimented with clouds in the past, but they were too demanding on hardware. Now with Unity5 they have a new, more efficient set of tools.

Clouds may very well be a thing in 1.2 or 3. Squad said themselves that they will be going over the games graphical fidelity.

SE has it's own engine developed by Keen.

Edited by Spartwo

13 hours ago, ag3nt108 said:

More important things to add in my opinion before Squad add fluff to the game.  I still desperately want dedicated station and ground base parts.

Having flown various flight simulator since before Bruce Artwick's Flight Simulator I can assure you clouds and weather are not fluff.  They add realism and new challanges. 

Edited by kBob

• 2 months later...

Weather would be another craft design challenge for the player to overcome (stability). Also the player would need to decide whether to launch today in the wind and rain or wait for clear skys. I'm all for decisions and challenges. 

Clouds (and atmospheric scattering or fog) add a navigation challenge with the added bonus of being visually pleasing and making the planets feel less sterile. So I'm all for that too.

also the sense of accomplishment after emergency landing a spaceplane during a storm is an exciting prospect.

Eye candy should not be underrated.

Apart from just looking pretty, which they do, clouds etc also add to the challenge just by beiing there.  It can be harder to find your landing site, and navigating through mountains whilst flying through cloud is also a bit more tense.

I have mixed feelings about weather effects, I like the idea, but I'm bit concerned they could feel too much like 'random failures' if it's not obvious that the conditions you are passing through are risky.  You can physically feel turbulence and sidewinds in a real aircraft, so you know what you are dealing with and that may not be as obvious on screen, but flight sims can do it somehow so it may be workable.

On 1/8/2016 at 8:57 AM, sal_vager said:

This comes up a lot and I need a decent thread for the common suggestions list, so I'll use this one.

Clouds would be nice, probably not enough on their own though (need wind, storms etc)

As long as they don't affect performance much that is.

Oooo! The Squa' knows about this now! Awesome!

• 1 year later...

Appreciate this is quite an old thread.

Just wondering if there's any news ? 

I reckon it's fairly safe to say that the vast majority of players end up adding some sort of graphics enhancements whether playing modded or stock. 

It'd be nice to see a slider implemented similar to the ground scatter but for clouds, atmosphere, storms, city lights etc

3 hours ago, Squeaky said:

Appreciate this is quite an old thread.

Just wondering if there's any news ? 

I reckon it's fairly safe to say that the vast majority of players end up adding some sort of graphics enhancements whether playing modded or stock. 

It'd be nice to see a slider implemented similar to the ground scatter but for clouds, atmosphere, storms, city lights etc

I do not believe there has been any news regarding a graphics update to the game in general. The good news is that graphics mods have gotten way better since 2015.

• 4 weeks later...

This game is nearly a decade behind in terms of graphics, which is ridiculous, given the amount of modmakers, working alone, who were able to add clouds.  They don't need to be 3-d, but not even having 2-d clouds on Eve makes the stock game horrible to look at.

Also, look at what Space Engine, a game made for free by one person, looks like:

maxresdefault.jpg

11 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

which is ridiculous,

It's really not.  One of the goals of this game is to be able to be run by people on a wide variety of hardware.  As soon as you beef up the graphics to where you're essentially requiring an external GPU, you reduce the amount of new users, and basically give a middle finger to the countless users who can no longer update.

It's not that they can't, it's that it wouldn't be smart to.  The game isn't about graphics.  Space Engine appears to be all about graphics.  You might as well complain that Halo doesn't let you construct your own vehicles, because KSP does.  They both take place in space, after all.

Just now, Geonovast said:

The game isn't about graphics.  Space Engine appears to be all about graphics.  You might as well complain that Halo doesn't let you construct your own vehicles, because KSP does.

Not all games need construction, because that is a gameplay mechanic.  Graphics are not a gameplay mechanic. Grahpics are something every non text based game needs, just like framerate and a good ui.  

Completely understand that these are 2 different things.

But I just find it strange that we got the ability to choose what outfits our kerbals wear before getting clouds in stock

(and the ability to disable them, same as ground scatter)

On 9/9/2018 at 4:45 PM, Geonovast said:

It's really not.  One of the goals of this game is to be able to be run by people on a wide variety of hardware.  As soon as you beef up the graphics to where you're essentially requiring an external GPU, you reduce the amount of new users, and basically give a middle finger to the countless users who can no longer update.

It's not that they can't, it's that it wouldn't be smart to.  The game isn't about graphics.  Space Engine appears to be all about graphics.  You might as well complain that Halo doesn't let you construct your own vehicles, because KSP does.  They both take place in space, after all.

On Off button 

5 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Guys just install SVE or EVE. Stock clouds aren't coming in the near future and probably won't past that either.

Have done, because i just felt it was something the game really needed, and the difference it made to my playing experience was huge.  Not just because it looks nicer, but it adds extra gameplay factors too jusy by being there and affecting visibility of the groubd below.

So, YES, I do think there should be clouds in stock.

I agree that KSP is not a game that neccesarily needs super shiny graphics, but how it looks does have an impact, especially when it comes to attracting new players.

1 minute ago, pandaman said:

Have done, because i just felt it was something the game really needed, and the difference it made to my playing experience was huge.  Not just because it looks nicer, but it adds extra gameplay factors too jusy by being there and affecting visibility of the groubd below.

So, YES, I do think there should be clouds in stock.

I agree that KSP is not a game that neccesarily needs super shiny graphics, but how it looks does have an impact, especially when it comes to attracting new players.

I think that clouds should be in stock, but I don't think they will be added. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.