Pls, add Mk3 cargo bays without doors.

Cargo ramp is good enough, but there is no Mk3 structural fuselage, only cargo bays. And cargo bays have doors, which prevent upper wingmount installation.

So i'm ask SQUAD to add another parts, same as Mk3 cargo bays family, but without doors.

Can you do that pls?

Sounds like this is a request for a hollow tube part, to utilize the inside for cargo work. In which case, tweaking out fuel from a tank doesn't help, because the part isn't hollow and doesn't shield parts inside.

Cheers,

-Claw

I wouldn't mind have structural fuselage for all part sizes that typically are used with planes. I like the new hollow ones in Mk1, it allows you to place components that do not need to be accessible by Kerbals but still shielded, like batteries.

I might be missing something, but I think you can do this already, with no need for new parts. Just use the standard cargo bay and configure the doors for zero opening with the new opening config thing?

If you need to attach something externally to them, it should be possible to use the editor's offsetting feature to attach a wing or whatever lower down and then move it up to the desired location.

Or have I missed a gotcha with that?

I wouldn't mind have structural fuselage for all part sizes that typically are used with planes. I like the new hollow ones in Mk1, it allows you to place components that do not need to be accessible by Kerbals but still shielded, like batteries.

^this, also for 2.5m parts would be great or we need procedural inter stages to emulate this ;)

^this, also for 2.5m parts would be great or we need procedural inter stages to emulate this ;)

You can already do that for 2.5m using stock fairings â€â€.they work as both interstage and top payload fairings.

I might be missing something, but I think you can do this already, with no need for new parts. Just use the standard cargo bay and configure the doors for zero opening with the new opening config thing?

If you need to attach something externally to them, it should be possible to use the editor's offsetting feature to attach a wing or whatever lower down and then move it up to the desired location.

Nope, do that & set the door range to zero & it's mostly there. You still can't attach things to the top though and you couldn't cfg it because the collider would need a tweak. Adding new colliders is not a terribly difficult modelling process though.

Nope, do that & set the door range to zero & it's mostly there. You still can't attach things to the top though and you couldn't cfg it because the collider would need a tweak. Adding new colliders is not a terribly difficult modelling process though.

Will parts not offset up there? (Haven't tried this.)

Sounds like this is a request for a hollow tube part, to utilize the inside for cargo work. In which case, tweaking out fuel from a tank doesn't help, because the part isn't hollow and doesn't shield parts inside.

Cheers,

-Claw

Yes, exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

You simply cant attach any part to the doors, so upper wingmount is impossible

Edited by Vegatoxi

Offsetting stuff attached to cargo bays is really weird.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

You simply cant attach any part to the doors, so upper wingmount is impossible

He is saying ATTACH the wings to the side and use ofset to move them up.

Or you could turn the bay upside-down, if you need parts attached to the top but don't need them on the bottom.

Well... i cant, at least exactly how i want.

There is some collision block.

You can look:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

On current cargo bay, i cant attach part lower than some limit. And if part taller than this limit it looks stupid.

And "upside-down" isn't solution, cuz cargo bay doors dont have flat floor.

Will parts not offset up there? (Haven't tried this.)

You can:

22585733427_b9e474e52e_c.jpg

I highlighted the parent cargo bay to show what's attached to it. What you can't do is say, strut the wing to the top of the cargobay ( just an example, I know you can just strut it to the bottom :P ). It seems you can strut stuff to the roof *inside* which is arguably more useful.

Full process - attach to here:

22978223916_a5c52e4b2d_c.jpg

Offset to here:

22585915857_892d8d6b4c_c.jpg

Edited by Van Disaster

You can:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/591/22585733427_b9e474e52e_c.jpg

I highlighted the parent cargo bay to show what's attached to it. What you can't do is say, strut the wing to the top of the cargobay ( just an example, I know you can just strut it to the bottom :P ). It seems you can strut stuff to the roof *inside* which is arguably more useful.

Full process - attach to here:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5655/22978223916_a5c52e4b2d_c.jpg

Offset to here:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/695/22585915857_892d8d6b4c_c.jpg

Try to repeat it with wing root thickness 1000

Or stock FAT-455.

It will stick out of the bay top.

Edited by Vegatoxi

Try to repeat it with wing root thickness 1000

Or stock FAT-455.

It will stick out of the bay top.

Right, I see what it's doing, it's getting stuck on the inside colliders - which might still be a problem even if it had a fixed roof.

Couple of mod suggestions for you:

• NoOffsetLimits ( this should cure it for sure )
  • Editor Extensions - why this isn't stock I have no idea. Probably won't help with the offset issue but adds a bunch of functionality that's very useful in it's own way.

Right, I see what it's doing, it's getting stuck on the inside colliders - which might still be a problem even if it had a fixed roof.

Well... for passanger module it's not a problem... and i think for Mk1 structural fuselage too.

And anyway, why not add cargobays with fixed roofs?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.