Gimbal suggestion for quality of life

Hello guys, I thought about something simple to implement, yet quite nice.

We now have 2 engines with large gimbal angles that allow for ridiculous contraptions to stay on course. Thing is, this only works decently with SAS permanently on, because the engine re-centers itself. It also has the problem of going from 0 to 100% throttle making your craft jerk around while the gimbal adjusts itself to the new acceleration state.

My idea: Those engines (or maybe all) could have a toggle for keeping aligned with CoM. Almost like an auto-trim feature, that would allow you to maybe even steer shuttles without SAS :cool:

Tell me what you think.

The funny thing is there's already a stock module to limit gimbal speed, both Ven's Stock Revamp and Claw's StockPlus enable it. It's not clear to me why it's not used in the core game by default, it really helps with the SAS overcorrection issue.

As for aligning with CoM, that would be very handy with Shuttle-style designs.

Also: Moved this over to Suggestions and Development Discussion.

The funny thing is there's already a stock module to limit gimbal speed, both Ven's Stock Revamp and Claw's StockPlus enable it. It's not clear to me why it's not used in the core game by default, it really helps with the SAS overcorrection issue.

As for aligning with CoM, that would be very handy with Shuttle-style designs.

Also: Moved this over to Suggestions and Development Discussion.

Correct me if I'm wrong somehow, but the Vector engine does have the slow gimbal rate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.