to Squad, future development, money and releases; shut up and take my money ;)

thaflya

[quote name='Vanamonde']Squad has no intention of issuing DLCs, guys. There was a controversy a while back, so they've been clear about it since.[/QUOTE]

[URL]http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/47730955705/expansions-dlc-and-the-future-of-ksp[/URL]
Was this before or after the controversy?

To me reading the above article from 2 years ago Squad's attitude to expansion was spot on then and still should apply now.
Also think 2016 (after 1.1 and a couple of bug fixes rounds) would be the prefect time to change focus towards an expansion pack or two.

I'd love to see them make multi-player goodness as this would require in theory time based game mechanics to be explored.

Squad has a very great concept, I agree about paying for expansions, something on the order of 1 to 2 a years priced 5 to 10 $ , Kps has delivered a lot in a game with some zany bugs, odd content, and mostly not taking them selves too seriously.

I do believe they should be paid for their work, and something more than donations.

It would be an undertaking, but it might be interesting to see squad buying the rights to, and redistributing .craft files. Like paying $30 to a player who has a popular looking .craft, and then putting it up for d/l at $1 a pop.
Encourages creative builders to streamline their best crafts and spreads the "coolness" to less practiced or time-constrained players.

[quote name='Venusgate']It would be an undertaking, but it might be interesting to see squad buying the rights to, and redistributing .craft files. Like paying $30 to a player who has a popular looking .craft, and then putting it up for d/l at $1 a pop.
Encourages creative builders to streamline their best crafts and spreads the "coolness" to less practiced or time-constrained players.[/QUOTE]
Why if we already can do the same thing for free?

It begs the question about what I'd spend money on for a DLC.
So many free mods which are mostly bugless and that will work even better with 1.1 once it's out and fixed.
RSS ? Check (even 1/10th rss which is what I would use as I like the KSP scale)
Outer planets ? Check. Although I might buy an official version DLC as long as it's worth it (Ie: enough stuff visit on the new planets/moon).
Extra parts ? Check. I'm the type of guy that download a mod for the part looks and mod it to fit my needs. What would a DLC have to offer that mods do not? unsure.
If there was a QoL (Quality of Life) DLC, I might get that. Then again, mods already cover most of this (KAS, MechJeb, Procedural parts/fuels, part reducing items (such as ONE 2.5m nuke replacing 4 of the stock ones, and so on).

I think I'd buy the stock "expanded" Kerbol system if it continued to feature RL analogs (Halley's comet, Pluto and Moons, Uranus and Moon <-- my fav of our System) and maybe even some Oot Cloud objects to visit.

[quote name='ostrich']Why if we already can do the same thing for free?[/QUOTE]

Because Squad would essentially be providing the service of saving the uploaders from making showcases and dropbox space, as well as the knowledge associated to perform that, and providing the d/lering the minor hassle and knowledge associated with getting the .craft file into their game.

[QUOTE]I dont like to donate, I want to Invest[/QUOTE]

Thats what you did when you bought the pre-release. Your argument is invalid. If it wasn't for people doing this, they may never have produced 1.0 in the first place.

An investment usually involves getting your money back, and then some. For me at least, I find that has happened, since the game has become more valued since I bought it, yet I haven't had to pay any more.

Nevertheless, if Squad does need money they can charge more, and they very well might upon the 1.1 release. But because they didn't blow their entire budget on advertising, like typical AAA console games, they will likely get a steady stream of new customers for a good few years, as people hear about it slowly from word of mouth.

All of this is predicated on the assumption/perception that development is slowing down (for lack of money). IMO, it's not. It's just not fast enough for [i]you[/i].
I submit that people have been [s]making this argument[/s] complaining "why isn't it out yet" since we hit double-digit version numbers.
Throwing more money at the problem will not solve it. Y'all need to have some frakking patience and accept that "it's out when it's out."

[quote name='Commander Zoom']All of this is predicated on the assumption/perception that development is slowing down (for lack of money). IMO, it's not. It's just not fast enough for [i]you[/i].
I submit that people have been [s]making this argument[/s] complaining "why isn't it out yet" since we hit double-digit version numbers.
Throwing more money at the problem will not solve it. Y'all need to have some frakking patience and accept that "it's out when it's out."[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with the speed of releases. I never used the word "fast" in my initial post. Did you read my first post?
I also don't have the impression that the development is slowing down, its fine as it is. But how long further will Squad keep developing? There are still so many things to do, and so much potential in this game (although the game is allready great). I am just scared that this development dies before all (or just more) of the potential got implemented.

I think I spend something like ~20€ for the game, thats long ago, and I got much much much more fun out of it than you can expect from Investing 20€ in any other way. So if not Squad, wich developer deserves more, that you pay a bit more for their great work? I am completly fine if I don't have to pay for anything KSP related. It would be ok, too. But there are plenty of other things I waste my money on and don't get much back. The relationship of fun/money is more than justified in this game.

Well you guys mentioned that Squad is earning more than enough money. Ok, then all is fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.