KSP.exe stopped working after about 30 seconds in VAB or SPH

Windows will randomly ( well i say randomly ) will say " KSP.exe has stopped working " after spending about 30 secs in the SPH or VAB no matter what. Is there a work around or a fix for this?

Ok i also need to add:

Steam version

Clean windows

64 bit

And theres no crash report as it is windows that is saying " KSP.exe has stopped working ".

ksp version 1.0.5

Intel i5 quad core

1TB of storage

8GB of RAM

Intel 4th gen graphics card

It appears that i'm not the only one:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2201121/kerbal-space-program-exe-stopped-working.html )

Edited by Jaffa Cookie

Windows will randomly ( well i say randomly ) will say " KSP.exe has stopped working " after spending about 30 secs in the SPH or VAB no matter what. Is there a work around or a fix for this?

Hehehe. This is in the unmodded part of the forum!

Anyway these are my computer specks that i can remember from the top of my head... i'll look for the file:

Intel i5 quad core

1TB of storage

8GB of RAM

Intel® HD Graphics 4000.

And then the mics ex i don't think you need.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, what LGG said, please see this thread, as this shouldn't be happening and other players can leave KSP running for ages with no issue, so something is causing it on your install.

Well i can keep it running FOR EVER in the loading menu. It's only when in SPH or VAB that it does that though i think it might be more to do with me having a 64 bit computer...

Edited by Jaffa Cookie
Found ACTUAL specs

Hehehe. This is in the unmodded part of the forum!

Anyway these are my computer specks that i can remember from the top of my head... i'll look for the file:

Intel i5 quad core

1TB of storage

8GB of RAM

Intel 4th gen graphics card

And then the mics ex i don't think you need.

- - - Updated - - -

Well i can keep it running FOR EVER in the loading menu. It's only when in SPH or VAB that it does that though i think it might be more to do with me having a 64 bit computer...

People have been known to ask questions in this forum even if they have mods, so sorry for that question.

Re. the graphics card. That's probably where the issue is, unless you have other things running which are using up memory.

Try turning all the graphics settings down (or off, depending on the setting) and see if that worksl. If it does, then one at a time turn them back up/on.

also, what version of Windows are you running?

Windows 8

But my question is about when i'm in the SPH or VAB not flying a plane. It doesn't crash then ONLY in the SPH or VAB.

I'll have a go at turning stuff down see if it helps or not. But KSP runs fine and smoothly untill about 30 sec into building something in the VAB or SPH - which is when windows says " KSP.exe has stopped working " but i can still fly things.

Jaffa Cookie, this isn't a known issue with a simple fix, sorry, KSP should not be crashing in the VAB or SPH even after an hour of building so crashing after 30 seconds indicates that something is wrong either with your install or your computer.

We need your output_log.txt, it is in the KSP_Data folder and it is overwritten on each game start, so you need to reproduce this issue then grab the file.

We also need your dxdiag hardware report, you can run dxdiag from the start menu and save the info as a text file.

We may also need the list of processes running on your system, you can get this by screenshotting your task manager.

Images can go on imgur.com, files on dropbox or just text on hastebin.com

Without those we'd only be guessing.

Like I said, Dropbox.com, or another file site like Mediafire.com, or any number of others, such as Google drive.

You can also open these files and copy their contents to a paste site like Pastebin.com or Hastebin.com

Pictures of your taskmanager can go on an image host like Imgur.com

All these can be found via an internet search.

Once you have put the files on these sites you can copy their address and post them here.

All you have given us so far is a symptom and extremely basic hardware info, stuff like how much hard drive space you have really doesn't help, sorry.

The logs and dxdiag report can show what KSP was doing before the crash and what drivers you have for your hardware.

With those we have a chance to figure out what what is causing your issue and may be able to make a suggestion as to how you can prevent it.

But also, KSP is on 1.0.5 now, so you really should just update.

Like I said, Dropbox.com, or another file site like Mediafire.com, or any number of others, such as Google drive.

You can also open these files and copy their contents to a paste site like Pastebin.com or Hastebin.com

Pictures of your taskmanager can go on an image host like Imgur.com

All these can be found via an internet search.

Once you have put the files on these sites you can copy their address and post them here.

All you have given us so far is a symptom and extremely basic hardware info, stuff like how much hard drive space you have really doesn't help, sorry.

The logs and dxdiag report can show what KSP was doing before the crash and what drivers you have for your hardware.

With those we have a chance to figure out what what is causing your issue and may be able to make a suggestion as to how you can prevent it.

But also, KSP is on 1.0.5 now, so you really should just update.

I have and it's made no diffrence... So could it be todo with my computer? Or the files not effected by the update?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh! Also I PM you the link to the files ( Dxdaig e.x. )

Well, the link you provided via PM did not work, it just took me to the google drive login screen, I don't use google drive so can't teach you how to use it, but I'm sure it has some instructions on its own support pages.

If you try the address yourself in a new browser you should see it open your own google drive account screen, the correct address will be for the file itself, which will open a screen allowing you do download that file individually.

Okay, checking your output_log.txt reveals this.

========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================

(0x59E01FDF) (igdumdim32): (filename not available): OpenAdapter + 0x40fdf

(0x59DCD7B8) (igdumdim32): (filename not available): OpenAdapter + 0xc7b8

(0x59E680AD) (igdumdim32): (filename not available): OpenAdapter + 0xa70ad

(0x59E667BC) (igdumdim32): (filename not available): OpenAdapter + 0xa57bc

(0x69D9974E) (d3d9): (filename not available): DebugSetMute + 0x697

(0x69D8CD6B) (d3d9): (filename not available): Direct3DCreate9Ex + 0x1106a

(0x69D8F3A7) (d3d9): (filename not available): Direct3DCreate9Ex + 0x136a6

(0x751186E3) (KERNEL32): (filename not available): BaseThreadInitThunk + 0xe

(0x76FABCE9) (ntdll): (filename not available): RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 0x85

(0x76FABCBC) (ntdll): (filename not available): RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 0x58

igdumdim32 is the Intel driver for their HD graphics cards on Windows, so the issue is with the driver itself, the question now is why.

Checking the dxdiag shows that the Intel HD 4000 in your laptop only has 32 megabytes of memory.

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel® HD Graphics Family

DAC type: Internal

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_196F103C&REV_09

Display Memory: 1792 MB

Dedicated Memory: 32 MB

Shared Memory: 1760 MB

The rest of the memory available to the card is shared with the system memory, this is common on low-end laptops as it's cheaper and the manufacturer can still claim that the card has (rounded up) 2gigs of RAM, though this is bending the truth quite a lot.

The problem with shared graphics memory is that it will lower performance, and the increased overhead can cause problems for memory intensive applications.

Unfortunately it's the only graphics card on this laptop, many gaming laptops will have a built-in Nvidia or AMD card with dedicated memory, and the Intel built into the CPU is only used for powersave mode, it's fine for word processing or browsing the web but it's not good enough for most games.

Kerbal Space Program requires at a minimum a graphics card with 512 megabytes of RAM, and while it can start and run with less it's not guaranteed.

You may be able to reduce the load on the graphics card enough for KSP to be stable for longer periods by lowering the texture quality, this has the biggest effect on KSP's RAM use, but again there's no guarantee it will work, and you'd have to save your progress in the VAB and SPH often.

You should also uninstall the current driver as it is out of date, and then install the latest driver for the Intel HD 400 here, you will need to reboot afterwards to ensure the driver activates properly, it may only help a bit, but it's always a good idea to keep your drivers up to date anyway.

Sorry, but your hardware does not meet KSP's minimum requirements and this is why you are having this issue.

Okay, checking your output_log.txt reveals this.

igdumdim32 is the Intel driver for their HD graphics cards on Windows, so the issue is with the driver itself, the question now is why.

Checking the dxdiag shows that the Intel HD 4000 in your laptop only has 32 megabytes of memory.

The rest of the memory available to the card is shared with the system memory, this is common on low-end laptops as it's cheaper and the manufacturer can still claim that the card has (rounded up) 2gigs of RAM, though this is bending the truth quite a lot.

The problem with shared graphics memory is that it will lower performance, and the increased overhead can cause problems for memory intensive applications.

Unfortunately it's the only graphics card on this laptop, many gaming laptops will have a built-in Nvidia or AMD card with dedicated memory, and the Intel built into the CPU is only used for powersave mode, it's fine for word processing or browsing the web but it's not good enough for most games.

Kerbal Space Program requires at a minimum a graphics card with 512 megabytes of RAM, and while it can start and run with less it's not guaranteed.

You may be able to reduce the load on the graphics card enough for KSP to be stable for longer periods by lowering the texture quality, this has the biggest effect on KSP's RAM use, but again there's no guarantee it will work, and you'd have to save your progress in the VAB and SPH often.

You should also uninstall the current driver as it is out of date, and then install the latest driver for the Intel HD 400 here, you will need to reboot afterwards to ensure the driver activates properly, it may only help a bit, but it's always a good idea to keep your drivers up to date anyway.

Sorry, but your hardware does not meet KSP's minimum requirements and this is why you are having this issue.

Ah! thank you but why did it work fine for pre 1.0 and 1.0 it's self? Also how can I solve this issue ( ie do i plug in a Nivida Graphics card or not? ) or do i replace it like you would in a PC? But that's not possible in a Laptop though? So apart from getting a new PC/laptop what can I do?

Though why can Companys such as Intel say that the driver has so much Memory yet Actually only has very few?

Also thankyou for you help!

You were lucky up till now? I really don't know, also unfortunately it's not really possible to upgrade a laptop graphics card.

It says it has a lot of memory but it's shared, the memory on the gpu itself is very small.

Please try the driver update and lowering the texture quality, the default setting is half resolution, that should help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.