Wet tankage in old stock airfoil sections

Hiya.

I liked seeing the BigS and FatS (airliner) wings come with internal tankage and would like to request the same for the old airfoil sections. Now now, I know the issue with game balance but don't you find the stock airfoils awfully thick compared to the nearly razor-sharp leading edges of high performance real world aircraft?

That 'fatness' makes them just ripe for a wet tankage conversion/upgrade. For the sake of balance, definitely don't cram 100 units of fuel into a Type D section but maybe a more modest amount like 100 for a big type A or B board and 25 for a Type C section.

This will make the ability to build with wet wings constant across all wing types instead of having this for the new wing parts only.

If you'd like to mod this in, you can do it as follows:

1. Make sure that you have ModuleManager installed (you almost certainly have it already, if you're running any mods)
  2. Go into your GameData folder anywhere, and create a new file called WetWings.cfg (or whatever you want to call it, as long as it ends with .cfg)
  3. Paste the following text into that file.

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface],!MODULE[ModuleCommand],!RESOURCE
[*]]
{
@description ^= .)$:$0 New and improved model now has liquid fuel.:
RESOURCE
{
name = LiquidFuel
amount = 0
maxAmount = #$../mass$
@maxAmount *= 500
}
}

This will add liquid fuel to all wing sections that don't already have it.

I've defined "wing" to be essentially "any lifting surface that's not a control surface, command module, or resource container." Therefore it won't add to tail fins, ailerons, Mk2 cockpit, or the wings that already have tankage.

The amount of fuel the wing has is tied to its mass, so smaller wings will have less fuel.

Enjoy!

Edited by Snark

[quote name='Snark']If you'd like to mod this in, you can do it as follows:

[LIST=1]
[*]Make sure that you have [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219"]ModuleManager[/URL] installed [SIZE=1](you almost certainly have it already, if you're running any mods)[/SIZE]
[*]Go into your GameData folder anywhere, and create a new file called WetWings.cfg [SIZE=1](or whatever you want to call it, as long as it ends with .cfg)[/SIZE]
[*]Paste the following text into that file.
[/LIST]

[CODE]
@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface],!MODULE[ModuleCommand],!RESOURCE
[*]]
{
@description ^= :(.)$:$0 New and improved model now has liquid fuel.:
RESOURCE
{
name = LiquidFuel
amount = 0
maxAmount = #$../mass$
@maxAmount *= 500
}
}
[/CODE]

This will add liquid fuel to all wing sections that don't already have it.

I've defined "wing" to be essentially "any lifting surface that's not a control surface, command module, or resource container." Therefore it won't add to tail fins, ailerons, Mk2 cockpit, or the wings that already have tankage.

The amount of fuel the wing has is tied to its mass, so smaller wings will have less fuel.

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

OMG! Many thanks, I was just thinking of MM patches. I wonder if you're able to redistribute it as a mini cfg mod?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.