[Released] Strategia

nightingale

23 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Probably did without realizing it.

Also, I've been noticing some odd strategy availabilities and then non-availabilities that aren't making sense, mainly the one where I land on Kerbin and suddenly the planetary ones are available, but when I go back to KSC, they aren't. Maybe it's strategia not knowing whether the crew actually returned from Mun or Minmus before recovery.

Edit: It also triggers when moving around with the vessel on the ground.

Edit2: I've also been getting notifications that strategies are available which aren't actually available because I only have level 2 admin.

I did notice some issues in my testing, there's a couple places were the availability stuff seems to get messed up.  I think I know where the issue is, but I need to know exactly which strategies it's saying are available incorrectly (and whether the vessel is manned or unmanned).

I've flipped a couple times on the admin building thing.  On the one hand, saying it's available before the building is upgraded gives an incentive for the player to upgrade.  On the other, it's misleading.  Maybe I should note in the message that it's available with an upgrade of the building?  Thoughts?

2 hours ago, nightingale said:

I did notice some issues in my testing, there's a couple places were the availability stuff seems to get messed up.  I think I know where the issue is, but I need to know exactly which strategies it's saying are available incorrectly (and whether the vessel is manned or unmanned).

I've flipped a couple times on the admin building thing.  On the one hand, saying it's available before the building is upgraded gives an incentive for the player to upgrade.  On the other, it's misleading.  Maybe I should note in the message that it's available with an upgrade of the building?  Thoughts?

The only one that seems to be truly bugged (and the most consistently triggering) are the manned planetary missions, the rest of them seem to just be triggering and untriggering on 'resource availability', ie. you have or don't have the required funds, science or reputation.For the ones other than the planetary missions, the main reason why they are incorrectly available is because the tier 3 ones are saying that they're available when I only have a tier 2 admin building.

For the planetary missions (Duna, Moho, Eeloo, Eve, Dres) which are the most common message I'm getting: The message doesn't say what type of planetary program, but since I'm only getting it with a crewed ship and not probes, I'm assuming that they are the crewed ones. Theres actually two ways to trigger, one is to simply land and the other is to move around on the pad/runway, which I guess changes the state to landed from 'on pad/runway' or something. Then when I go back to KSC, it doesn't change immediately, it either takes a couple secs or you need to mouseover buildings for the state to change.

edit: Also, Media Circus III, Stagnated Research III, and Contract Slot Machine III went unavailable after I declined a whole bunch of contracts. However, aside from the level 3 building requirement, only Media Circus III and CSM III went unavailable correctly, Stagnated Research III would have been unavailable anyway because I don't have 1,000 science points.

edit2: Those same planetary mission strategies became available when I launched a second crewed vessel to meet one already in orbit to do the 'dock two craft in space' contract. I have no idea what triggered it that time.

Edited by smjjames

6 hours ago, smjjames said:

The only one that seems to be truly bugged (and the most consistently triggering) are the manned planetary missions, the rest of them seem to just be triggering and untriggering on 'resource availability', ie. you have or don't have the required funds, science or reputation.For the ones other than the planetary missions, the main reason why they are incorrectly available is because the tier 3 ones are saying that they're available when I only have a tier 2 admin building.

For the planetary missions (Duna, Moho, Eeloo, Eve, Dres) which are the most common message I'm getting: The message doesn't say what type of planetary program, but since I'm only getting it with a crewed ship and not probes, I'm assuming that they are the crewed ones. Theres actually two ways to trigger, one is to simply land and the other is to move around on the pad/runway, which I guess changes the state to landed from 'on pad/runway' or something. Then when I go back to KSC, it doesn't change immediately, it either takes a couple secs or you need to mouseover buildings for the state to change.

edit2: Those same planetary mission strategies became available when I launched a second crewed vessel to meet one already in orbit to do the 'dock two craft in space' contract. I have no idea what triggered it that time.

It's seems to be problem where they flip on momentarily if you hit any progress item (such as docking).  I think I've got it fixed for the next release.  And for performance reasons, it doesn't check constantly, which is why you might see a delay in it getting fixed when you go back to KSC.

edit: Also, Media Circus III, Stagnated Research III, and Contract Slot Machine III went unavailable after I declined a whole bunch of contracts. However, aside from the level 3 building requirement, only Media Circus III and CSM III went unavailable correctly, Stagnated Research III would have been unavailable anyway because I don't have 1,000 science points.

Declining contracts will decrease your rep - I assume they became unavailable because you went below the rep threshold?  It also ignores the science and funds requirements - as I didn't want the notifications to keep flipping back and forth as science and funds tend to go up and down.

21 minutes ago, nightingale said:

It's seems to be problem where they flip on momentarily if you hit any progress item (such as docking).  I think I've got it fixed for the next release.  And for performance reasons, it doesn't check constantly, which is why you might see a delay in it getting fixed when you go back to KSC.

Declining contracts will decrease your rep - I assume they became unavailable because you went below the rep threshold?  It also ignores the science and funds requirements - as I didn't want the notifications to keep flipping back and forth as science and funds tend to go up and down.

Oh I see, didn't know it ignored the funds and science requirements, which would explain why it seems odd sometimes. I do know declining contracts decreases the rep.

Is it possible for it to take into account the funds and science without announcing for those whenever the funds and science go below the threshold?

Uh, I don't think the crewed Mun program strategy should be deducting from the milestone for starting the first Mun flyby..... Edit: The strategy works fine otherwise, I just don't think it should deduct for that particular situation.

StrategiaCareer_screenshot_2016-01-10--0

I have that and To Boldly Go II. Also, I haven't checked what it does for other milestones yet, I'm currently looking at what the normal reward is for those milestones.

Oh yeah. while typing, I had an idea for the 'to boldly go' icons, maybe the Enterprise from TOS for I, the TNG Enterprise for II, and I don't know for III, Voyager?. A more serious idea though could maybe be various landers?

edit2: Also, these two really shouldn't be deducted by that strategy, just doesn't make sense to me because of the goal. Decided to alt+F12 those ~40k funds because it doesn't seem fair to me.

StrategiaCareer_screenshot_2016-01-10--1

Edited by smjjames

Found another one, this is after I had returned from the Mun landing. For some reason, the Mun and Minmus programs are still available despite me having just done the Mun program one. Yes, I do have the mouse over the accept button there, but I decided to go with scientist focus III instead.

edit: Maybe lump this into issue 13 on the tracker?

Edited by smjjames

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

Found another one, this is after I had returned from the Mun landing. For some reason, the Mun and Minmus programs are still available despite me having just done the Mun program one. Yes, I do have the mouse over the accept button there, but I decided to go with scientist focus III instead.

edit: Maybe lump this into issue 13 on the tracker?

Looks to be a different issue - if you're able to raise it, that would be appreciated. 

2 hours ago, nightingale said:

Looks to be a different issue - if you're able to raise it, that would be appreciated. 

Yeah I can.

Also, after I upgraded the admin building to 3, the probe planetary missions, impact missions, and flybys joined with the planetary missions in flipping to unavailable when I launch a ship. Either that or the command pod I'm using which has the MJ module built into it (basically, it's manned, but has probe core capacity, I think) is causing it.

Edit: Hm, after I returned from a minmus trip, those mun and minmus programs are now correctly unavailable. I've updated the github issue with that find.

Edited by smjjames

New BETA release, Strategia 0.2.0 is now available.

• Reduced setup cost when upgrading from one strategy to another within the same family.
  • Added check and pop-up message for when Custom Barn Kit isn't installed.
  • Fixed issue with invalid notifications for some of the crewed mission strategies (thanks smjjames).
  • Fixed detection of celestial body when modifying progression milestone rewards (thanks smjjames).
  • Fixed check for Mun/Minmus strategy availability (thanks smjjames).

The planetary programs and probe missions along with the flybys and impact mission strategies keep flipping to unavailable when I go to a ship in flight mode (still in the Kerbin SoI) and then flipping back to available when I go to KSC, so, the notification pops up every time.

I have absolutely no idea why they are doing that.

12 minutes ago, smjjames said:

The planetary programs and probe missions along with the flybys and impact mission strategies keep flipping to unavailable when I go to a ship in flight mode (still in the Kerbin SoI) and then flipping back to available when I go to KSC, so, the notification pops up every time.

I have absolutely no idea why they are doing that.

Raised #15.  The Progression Nodes in the game have two states - Reached and Completed, and they don't seem to get set in a consistent and logical way.  At least that was the problem I was noticing when it would flip on landing.  This may be something different.  Either way, I'll have to look into this and nail it down.

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

Oh yeah, I'm just noting that the craft that all of those were triggering with has both a kerballed pod (with crew) and a probe core on top of it.

Hmm....  that shouldn't be relevant, but it's mostly controlled by stock functionality - so who knows, maybe it is.  I'll keep it in mind, either way!

50 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Hmm....  that shouldn't be relevant, but it's mostly controlled by stock functionality - so who knows, maybe it is.  I'll keep it in mind, either way!

I'm not saying that's the cause, just the reason why I was getting both manned and probe missions in the notification. I don't think I've been getting the notifications with just a probe core, but I'll double check.

Nope, when it's just a probe core in flight, I don't get those.

Hm, wierd, with the exact same type of vessel in orbit of Kerbin and with a pilot onboard, I don't get those messages, while the one with a scientist and landed on Minmus does. edit: Now the one on minmus is only making the manned programs flip, along with the impactor and flybys (which weren't triggering to off, somehow)

Edited by smjjames

7 minutes ago, smjjames said:

I'm not saying that's the cause, just the reason why I was getting both manned and probe missions in the notification. I don't think I've been getting the notifications with just a probe core, but I'll double check.

Nope, when it's just a probe core in flight, I don't get those.

Cool, then it is significant - thanks!  If you're able to, can you tell me what happens for a crewed vessel without a probe core?

22 hours ago, nightingale said:

Cool, then it is significant - thanks!  If you're able to, can you tell me what happens for a crewed vessel without a probe core?

I'll give it a look, also check my further edits to the previous post, it seems like having another manned craft confuses things. Currently, I already have two probes active, one in orbit of the sun and the other in Kerbin orbit waiting for Eve transfer.

Going to land the manned+probe one I just put in orbit first though. Also, I am using the MM config that applies MJ to all command pods, but I'll use the MK1 pod, which doesn't have an integrated probe core.

Actually, I think I'll try it without the MJ MM config, to make it truly crewed only. Edit: Hm, going to check it out on my stripped down branchoff KSP to eliminate as many factors as possible.

Hm, this is in the branchoff KSP and the only mods are Strategia+dependencies (plus the contract packs), GCmonitor, hyperedit, and exception detector. The notificiation came up a few seconds after launching from VAB.

screenshot1_zpsk8z2cing.png

Nothing happens while in orbit of Kerbin, but when I'm in orbit of the Mun and I go back to KSC and then back to the craft, I get the same notification. Edit: When I'm landed on the Mun, the planetary ones flp on and off.

Would be nice to be able to know just WHAT parameter is flipping.

Damn, wow, look at this contract, that is hella lucrative. This is with contract slot machine II and scientist focus III. Some balancing may be in order, I dunno. I declined a bunch of those contracts and looked at them and this one seems to be something of an outlier.

StrategiaCareer_screenshot_2016-01-17--0

Edited by smjjames

23 hours ago, smjjames said:

Would be nice to be able to know just WHAT parameter is flipping.

I'm going to get you a build today that outputs that to the log to help stomp this down (I won't be able to look at the actual problem until sometime during the work week though).

23 hours ago, smjjames said:

Damn, wow, look at this contract, that is hella lucrative. This is with contract slot machine II and scientist focus III. Some balancing may be in order, I dunno. I declined a bunch of those contracts and looked at them and this one seems to be something of an outlier.

Hmm....  That partially seems to be a Field research problem too - the base rewards (250k Funds, ~50 Rep) seem a bit on the high side.  At the same time, that's sort of the point of contract slot machine - you've hit the jackpot! :)

I'm thinking about changing the random function from uniform to normal - that way you will get fewer outliers (and they will be that much of a treat).

Okay, I checked it out on the stripped down branchoff KSP and findings are:

On launch from VAB: Strategies unavailable due to current level 0 (Jeb is actually level 2)

back to KSC: Doesn't say why the strategies are available again.

relaunch from KSC: doesn't trigger.

back to KSC and back to ship: Doesn't trigger for either.

back to KSC and back to ship after hyperediting to Mun orbit: Same reason given.

Same branchoff KSP, same save and same jeb, I put an RC-0015 probecore on top:

on launch: No change.

KSC and back after hyperediting to Mun orbit: no change

interim: After hyperediting back to kerbin and back to KSC, it said that the Moho and Eve programs are available, I don't recall them ever going unavailable.

This time using the flat okto core and Bob (level 2, though I do have the scientist focus III on):

On launch: Moho and Eve programs go unavailable, same reason given as before, it thinks something is level 0.

edit: Going to see if theres any difference with no active strategies.

Edit2: I think you're going to need to put in a debug saying why they become available because after deactivating the two current strategies, it said the planetary missions (manned and probe) became available when they were already available.

edit3: Still reproducing the same way and same reason given.

Edited by smjjames

Okay, I checked it out on the stripped down branchoff KSP and findings are:

On launch from VAB: Strategies unavailable due to current level 0 (Jeb is actually level 2)

back to KSC: Doesn't say why the strategies are available again.

relaunch from KSC: doesn't trigger.

back to KSC and back to ship: Doesn't trigger for either.

back to KSC and back to ship after hyperediting to Mun orbit: Same reason given.

Same branchoff KSP, same save and same jeb, I put an RC-0015 probecore on top:

on launch: No change.

KSC and back after hyperediting to Mun orbit: no change

interim: After hyperediting back to kerbin and back to KSC, it said that the Moho and Eve programs are available, I don't recall them ever going unavailable.

This time using the flat okto core and Bob (level 2, though I do have the scientist focus III on):

On launch: Moho and Eve programs go unavailable, same reason given as before, it thinks something is level 0.

edit: Going to see if theres any difference with no active strategies.

Edit2: I think you're going to need to put in a debug saying why they become available because after deactivating the two current strategies, it said the planetary missions (manned and probe) became available when they were already available.

edit3: Still reproducing the same way and same reason given.

Most likely it's complaining about the level of the admin building - that has given me trouble in the past.  My guess is that it's checking the level before things have been initialized (so it flips off/on on scene load).  I'll double check that and get a fix out.