WW2 Warships 0.5.1 - Is there actually something happening? Stay tuned!

Azimech

There seem to be some issues with my KerbPaint but the template cruiser is fully capable of carrying 4 heavy cruiser turrets and firing a salvo, which do their job much nicer than 152 mm shells

333wu0R.png

Ok, one more question, how you can paint your ships? I "installed" Kerbpaint and push P and then the window with colors pop up, but then when I click on any part with left or right click, even with P+click it just picked up the part and didn't paint. How you do it? Please I really need it. :D

26 minutes ago, Toonu said:

Ok, one more question, how you can paint your ships? I "installed" Kerbpaint and push P and then the window with colors pop up, but then when I click on any part with left or right click, even with P+click it just picked up the part and didn't paint. How you do it? Please I really need it. :D

Don't click the part. Just hover over it and push P.

46 minutes ago, loki130 said:

Don't click the part. Just hover over it and push P.

And pick a colour. Want to change a colour from standard? Choose advanced and use the sliders. Want to copy your new, special colour: hold mouse on the part, press P, choose "copy". On the next part: press P, choose "paste".

First tryout for my steam driven electrical generator. It ain't much, but it's mine.

oAJ4LdR.png

23 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Then it sounds very much like a thrust vs power problem: recall that ship propellers, like air propellers, develop *way* more thrust when you're moving slowly (and this is why SHP required for a top speed is roughly proportional to speed cubed, IIRC). Happily, in 1.0.5 you can do that fairly easily. :)

Thanks for the info! I'll have the specs updated for the next version.

Tada! Here it is, the Admiralty M Class Destroyer replica! I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to build it so well without this mod!

DOWNLOAD

Also, some suggestions: Custom Torpedoes don't seem to do much against these armored ships, so it would be cool is individual parts would suffer from "flooding damage" that could slowly sink ships, since the explosives generally won't be enough to blow up a part? It would also be nice if some of the parts got individual configs (like for Destroyer, Cruiser, Battleship...), which could change weight and strength, and while there is the deck plating I could resort to for destroyers, I don't know if that would work with keels,

11 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Tada! Here it is, the Admiralty M Class Destroyer replica! I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to build it so well without this mod

Also, some suggestions: Custom Torpedoes don't seem to do much against these armored ships, so it would be cool is individual parts would suffer from "flooding damage" that could slowly sink ships, since the explosives generally won't be enough to blow up a part? It would also be nice if some of the parts got individual configs (like for Destroyer, Cruiser, Battleship...), which could change weight and strength, and while there is the deck plating I could resort to for destroyers, I don't know if that would work with keels,

In the future I might change the mechanic how ships receive damage. I agree the destruction of a hull panel the way it is now isn't ideal but probably the best option until KKS can be used. Individual configs for hull parts isn't something I'm fond of, the choice in parts is already huge. In case of building heavier armor, using more plates is the way to go i.e. double or triple amount of hull plating type B ... yes I know part count is a problem, we'll see what KSP 1.1 will bring us.

I might write and include a configuration for a torpedo warhead better suited for the task, this should solve the problem. I'm not planning on changing parameters for the keels unless the community really asks for it. While it is true some ships broke in two or more parts during battle, it would compromise general structural integrity in multiple areas.

Theoretically I could use a configuration switcher like B9 and Firespitter have but I don't want the mod to become too complex and dependent on too many third party plugins.

Awesome build! I'm going to test it for sure!

Something different: here's a very interesting video about Iowa turret operation.

Anyone who's built a sea ship and used it by now has had the same experience: the water sounds are a thousand times too loud, erratic, illogical and it wrecks ambience. It doesn't scale well with distance too, with the screeching being louder than large explosions even with the camera at a few km away.  Now that shipbuilding and using really is a thing, Can we find a way to get rid of it completely, get it overhauled or at least make it a toggle?

Please support this and reply here and here.

Update on 0.5 progress, overview on the new parts and changelog. No, it's not ready yet. I've had some delays due to a power outage and a Unity crash, had to do a lot of work from start and now I'm fighting some bugs.

The colours are just random, everything is still KerbPaint compatible:

The changelog is huge. I'm still bugfixing because most ships built before 0.5 refuse to load completely.

* Replaced Squad models for ship turbine, boiler and electrical generator with my own. They're not very refined yet and the textures are lacking, but I've only just started in the world of 3D modeling. Textures will not be updated before KSP 1.1 arrives because I then want to use the material based shaders of Unity 5.
* Boiler: added a second type (called Boiler Alternative) with internal mechanic using ModuleEngineFX so they can be throttled. This gives the ability to lower fuel consumption based on power requirement. These boilers produce smoke and sound. Their throttle response is slow. See the note about individual throttles.  
* Boiler: original boiler still uses ModuleResourceConverter for anyone not interested in the ability to throttle them. Fuel consumption is high, they don't produce smoke nor sound.
* Electrical Generator: added a larger one, increased power requirement but not entirely at the level I want them. The sound is more like a real generator.
* Ship turbine: nice three bladed animated propeller using stock FXModuleAnimateThrottle. Small bug: they rotate even when I don't want them to.
* Ship turbine: added a velocity curve. This means a lot of torque for accelerating from zero speed to overcome the stock mechanic to slow ships down if their speed is lower than 1 knot. I capped it on the other end so sadly no more ships reaching fantasy speeds. They are able to work on land so people who want to drive their ships to the sea are still able to do it without extra engine parts.
* Small bridge, the windows should be transparent though, need to fix that. No IVA and probably never will. Orientation fixer is not needed anymore.
* New Hull Plating Ae, I'll keep the old ones for people who like them better. Still struggling with the orientation.
* New smoke funnels in three sizes.
* New turret hardpoints.
* BDA and NAS have reworked their way of doing damage so I had to adjust a lot of part parameters.
* Lowered mass on most parts, don't be surprised your ship will have half the mass of what it used to ... it's a bit closer to real life. Take care with heavy turrets and your CoM, in some cases it's needed to widen the ship or place more buoyant parts on the inside of the outer hull. Capsizing is a real danger!
* Increased thermalMassModifier for most parts, especially crucial parts like boilers and electrical generators. BDA/NAS weapons work with heat and this heat can easily go right through a ship, so increasing thermalMassModifier can be translated as "increasing armor rating".
* Modified buoyancy rating for most parts because of decreased mass. Check your existing ships, most of them will need to be re-balanced.
* Modified rudder max deflection to be more in line with the decreased mass. If you feel your ship becomes to sluggish, add another one.
* Changed LiquidFuel to HeavyFuelOil. This was needed because of a certain flow rule of the original and it wouldn't let it be bypassed. All hull types A and Ae have this new fuel. Resource data is written in the .craft file so with existing ships you'll need to empty the tanks in the editor, edit the .craft file in a text editor or send it to me.
* Command center now has the Davon Trottle Control Systems module embedded in. If you want to have individual control of boilers, electrical generators and turbines, install this mod. It's not needed but I really recommend it.

That's it for now.

Edited by Azimech

Hey @Azimech ,

I'd just like to ask, does your mod change the physics of KSP Water? The recent water update makes massive B9 HX Ships that I built float without sinking, which is really bizarre. I wish to use your mod to have my ships sink into the water realistically with adjustable buoyancy. However I'm concerned that, as it's stated in the OP, that ships sink without a certain part. I'm confused if it's all parts or just the mod. Not trying to offend, but I prefer my ships built using a multitude of ways, especially HX parts for massive ships. Still an amazing mod though, especially with many of the old mods like infinitedice are now gone.

Edited by victor tan

I've just run into some weird issues, and got a few questions (likely regarding the A and B type hull plates). I've attached them as instructed - keel, then A, then B; and I'm pumping water like a superhero at first. However, after getting water down a whole lot, the bar starts filling up again. The B-types are all either inactive due to missing water, or FLOATING IT at 100% load; meanwhile I could find one A-type plate on either side filled up with water. I tried to manually get those pieces to PUMP IT, with little apparent effect. The ship itself, meanwhile, has the upper bit of the stern end sticking barely out of the water, while the entire bow end is deeply submerged.

What exactly is going on in this scenario? I've got a bunch of structural plates on top and inside of the B-type plates, and the ship's superstructure is more or less waterproof (though I don't know if that even matters, as the interior is flooded the moment I land in water).

12 hours ago, Veskenapper said:

I've just run into some weird issues, and got a few questions (likely regarding the A and B type hull plates). I've attached them as instructed - keel, then A, then B; and I'm pumping water like a superhero at first. However, after getting water down a whole lot, the bar starts filling up again. The B-types are all either inactive due to missing water, or FLOATING IT at 100% load; meanwhile I could find one A-type plate on either side filled up with water. I tried to manually get those pieces to PUMP IT, with little apparent effect. The ship itself, meanwhile, has the upper bit of the stern end sticking barely out of the water, while the entire bow end is deeply submerged.

What exactly is going on in this scenario? I've got a bunch of structural plates on top and inside of the B-type plates, and the ship's superstructure is more or less waterproof (though I don't know if that even matters, as the interior is flooded the moment I land in water).

can you take some pictures of the ship so we could see what it looks like? will be easier to say what is wrong if we can see it :D because it simply sounds like your ship is too heavy right now, but it might be other things :D