What do you feel is missing from the STOCK game as far as parts goes ?

•1.25m cockpit w 1.25 adapter on both ends. lander can doesn't count. I want something designed as a cockpit. like MK1 inline but for the space faring people. Alcor is probably better than what we'd get, and its out already.
•1.25m cupola, for days where i want a good view without a 2.5m ship.
•LF only tanks (even if the mass ratio has to be nerfed, its much more attractive then hacked half empty tanks.)
•Larger ion propulsion engine
•Larger 2.5m ore tank
•Smaller than 1.25m nodal parachute
•Larger landing gear (maybe something that can hold a nerv off the ground)
•retractable landing gear with offset wheel (retractable wheels appropriate for a rover/lander)
•larger radial mount monoprop tanks (probably just a bugfix on the existing tanks)
•A small rhino-like engine, so that small SSTO atmospheric rockets are more viable - all similar engines have well over 50%+ losses in atmosphere
•A larger RTG
•EVA attachable fuel lines (sometimes i don't want to dock, esp on the ground, just want to send some fuel over - mods can do it all day long)
•MK3 cockpit balanced for spaceflight
•3 person lander (2.5 or otherwise), which is even remotely competitive to jeb-rigging an MK1 & 2 Lander cans.
(Lightest 3 person cockpit - 3.9 t  -  MK1 & 2 Lander cans = 2.16 t - eg, dv tight missions necessitate ugly looking craft)

Just off the top of my head.

IMO, I would rather see an art pass for the rocket parts and structural pieces before we get new parts.

I'll +1 this too.

Edited by Violent Jeb
added some stuff

On 16/11/2015 at 6:49 AM, Corw said:

A meaningful campaign progression.

That and:

A 2 man capsule;

Different shapes of power electric battery;

Different shapes of solar panels;

More different types of landing legs (not landing gears for planes) ;

More parts to science and different science with time relevancy;

Exclusive station parts;

More rover parts to make exploration mean something and give me a excuse to haul rovers around;

About rovers: specific missions or contracts (with several objectives that include making different kind of experiments on a Mun or planet;

More probes parts to make useful satellites with coherent contracts and missions. (more then RemoteTech) ;

More adapters;

Not a part but.... making all the parts the have movement, move on the SPH and VAB; This is very useful for designing to test if things really move the way I want it. Just to the launch pad and then go back is a bit boring.

_____

I know the question was for parts and some things I listed is more then that, but we need a reason for some.

Edited by Kar

On 1/19/2016 at 2:43 PM, Kar said:

That and:

A 2 man capsule;

Different shapes of power electric battery;

Different shapes of solar panels;

More different types of landing legs (not landing gears for planes) ;

More parts to science and different science with time relevancy;

Exclusive station parts;

More rover parts to make exploration mean something and give me a excuse to haul rovers around;

About rovers: specific missions or contracts (with several objectives that include making different kind of experiments on a Mun or planet;

More probes parts to make useful satellites with coherent contracts and missions. (more then RemoteTech) ;

More adapters;

Not a part but.... making all the parts the have movement, move on the SPH and VAB; This is very useful for designing to test if things really move the way I want it. Just to the launch pad and then go back is a bit boring.

_____

I know the question was for parts and some things I listed is more then that, but we need a reason for some.

Also more communication equipment  (I like the look of lots of antennas and dishes clustered together), kerbal inventory system with a function to craft parts with ore useing special assembly part so you can make permanent bases on celestial body's. more reasons to eva, a nuclear reactor, and rotors.

Edited by Tez613

• To bring back the Intake Air resource

• An ISRU support for Xenon farming

• Fuel filler necks and fuel pipes (no ground docking for fuel transfers)

• Resource exhaust valves. Cannot burn any extra oxydizer with NERVAs or YARDs. Or an ability to burn nuclear engines on pure oxydizer. With a corresponding thermal debuff, of course

• Medium solar panels between 1x6 and Gigantor

• Larger and heavier rechargeables, no more battery spamming for a ION engine

• Better RTGs, no more RTG spamming too

• Jumbo-sized space engines. No engine spamming =)

•  Small parts for a "Juno" engine. Small planes definitely need small parts, there's no tail fin, no small wings and no tiny canards made for Juno at present time

5 hours ago, MatttheCzar said:

So how would a LF+O prop work in real life?  I was thinking of a small rocket engine inside which turns a piston system.

One possibility would be a rocket-turbine system; you burn the liquid fuel and oxidizer together to turn a turbine which turns the propeller through a gearbox, essentially a turboprop but without needing air. This was actually proposed in the 1950s for high-altitude hydrogen-burning aircraft. Another would be to have a conventional piston engine where oxidizer is added to the piston in place of or in addition to external air, but the system otherwise functions as usual. "Cutting" with external air (in either case) would probably be favored from an engineering perspective because it would reduce combustion temperature and therefore thermal stress on the engine components, and since this is a propeller aircraft it obviously won't work without an atmosphere (it might be interestingly adaptable for high-altitude flight, as mentioned above, but it would still have to be in atmosphere).

I'm sure others have stated these ideas long before me, and some of these bear repeating.  For the most part, I'm pretty satisfied with the parts we have, but some things would make life more fun.
1) larger LF-only tanks
2) Heavy duty landing gear with short legs, a la C-130, where the wheels are tucked up under the fuselage.  It would make Mk3 planes a bit easier to use.
3) Larger LV-Ns
4) Fuel vents, for dumping unneeded Oxidizer (or other resources)
5) Steerable larger landing gear
6) Longer landing legs.  Maybe put an extension limiter on the LT-1's, with a maximum extension roughly 2x the current length, and a default limit that results in the current length.
7) Larger structural wings and wing connectors.
8) A 1.25m passenger cabin with a door out the side (so you can EVA from it when it's in a stack)
9) A longer 1.25m service bay (the size of a FL-T200)
10) Mk2 tanks that actually have a capacity to match their physical size.  I can fit a FL-T800, several radial monoprop tanks, batteries, and who knows what else inside a Mk2 cargo bay, yet the same-length (but larger physical size) Mk2 tank can only hold the equivalent of the FL-T800, while weighing more.  Given the dimensions, I'd expect the Mk2 tank to hold at least twice as much fuel.  As an alternative, if we assume that the Mk2 tanks are "FL-T's wrapped in a fancy package," it would be nice if we could mount other parts in the unused space between the cylindrical inner tank and the shell.
11) Smaller airbrakes for smaller craft.  Yes, I know I can deploy control surfaces, but that requires an action group (or a lot of clicking).

I'm sure I'll come up with more later.  It's hard to complain too loudly, really :)

EDIT:...Well, that didn't take long.  Here's something else for my wish list:
12) *Shorter* LV-N, for mounting on the back of space planes
13) Mk2-to-3x-1.25 adapter, so you can mount 2x rapiers + 1 rocket engine to the back of a Mk2 plane

Edited by zolotiyeruki

Everything you'd need to peerform IVA-only missions. Which would'nt increase part count (well maybe one or two). From a purist (which I'm not) point of view that would be the only thing left in stock to make it much more immersive since you cannot have acces to all necessary information IVA as opposed to external view it would make the game much more immersive. As I just mentioned this game earlier today, I remember back in Silent Hunter III where you could disable all external views and event cameras.

You could disable them at your carreer settings at start or in between - cheater! ;) or just leave on the event camera that just pops up like a bit bigger Kerbal-portrait showing you that one of your boosters has just gone rougue, because your MK1 cockpit only has two monitors and you didn't watch select temperature gauges for either one of them (no, not because of internet streaming - you don't have that tech yet too).

On 19.1.2016 at 3:45 PM, Laythe Dweller said:

IMO, I would rather see an art pass for the rocket parts and structural pieces before we get new parts.

What would that be ? An aesthetic evaluation ?

Edited by Nightshift83
bad syntax

On January 25, 2016 at 7:33 AM, BloodDusk said:

Cargo bays. I mean, you get all fancy on the space plane/shuttle parts and...you didn't add any cargo bays?

I am confused. The last time I checked (which was this morning), there were cargo bays (in multiple sizes, even) for Mk 2 and Mk 3 spaceplanes. There aren't any for Mk 1 spaceplanes, which is an oversight, but you're implying that there aren't any for larger spaceplanes, which isn't true.

3 hours ago, Workable Goblin said:

I am confused. The last time I checked (which was this morning), there were cargo bays (in multiple sizes, even) for Mk 2 and Mk 3 spaceplanes. There aren't any for Mk 1 spaceplanes, which is an oversight, but you're implying that there aren't any for larger spaceplanes, which isn't true.

Couldn't find a single cargo bay in my stock game.

I would like an cockpit module with an 2.5 meter front node, main use is cockpit on large ships and planes. Think upside down landing can with an larger window as an idea or the shuttle cockpit with an 2.5 meter front. 2.5 and 1.25 meter cargo bays. The equipment bays has issues. larger RTG or an reactor.

And the general request for 2.5 meter fuel tanks and larger landing legs, someone with wide span, think Falcon 9 first stage would be nice. 

For a start, any larger versions of parts I see players needing to spam (assuming Tweakscale isn't used) such as the aerospike engine, ion engine, NERVA, air intakes, RTG's, etc. Just to keep part numbers down. 

I personally would like a part like a hinge or collar that lets me rotate a part 90 degrees (or more), so I can turn aft-facing engines into VTOL engines and back again as I land gravity-designed craft on certain bodies.

I'd like the inclusion of a fission reactor, of whatever size, for deep-space/planetary base operations. As long as the mechanics are simple; i.e. using the sample heat dissipation requirements as the NERVA (no complicated heat management system), no uranium to mine or reprocess (depletion would be ok), basically, an expensive, heavy RTG that puts out power.

I'd also like a stock part or two that acts as a hose and port, so fuel and other resources can be easily transferred to other space craft (or ground-based stuff) by EVA. Again, keep the mechanics simple

Some 5m parts, especially a cargo bay so that landers built with the big ISRU (for example) can be bigger without seeing some clipping by wheels, etc. (In this instance, I'm sure this is up to each player's ability and preferences about building craft to fit in other craft, I just find that a lot of my mining landers use big wheels that don't quite fit right in the airframe cargo holds...)

A larger sepatron, and if possible, one that is stackable (like the stack separators), but fires either perpendicular to the stack direction, or angled away. Or a hydraulic detachment manifold that really pushes something away.

A few new capsules or cockpits would be nice. Nertea's mods come to mind...

A torodial ring part for a spacestation, a generic inflatable hab structure, larger beams, those aren't necessary but would be great for a little customization and roleplay.

And, for myself, one thing I wish KSP had (as a possible DLC or expansion later?) would be a few end-end game parts, something to enjoy playing with after the tech tree has long been completed and you've lifted off from Eve a dozen times using nothing but a Terrier, a command chair, and some real good whiskey for fuel. I'm thinking along the lines of those capstone skills in RPG's that are very powerful, (even too powerful for regular gameplay) but are provided to make you feel like a god after you've demonstrated you've mastered the game's mechanics, something to let you play freely. My suggestions here would be a more advanced electric engine (VASMIR?), a rotating hab part (for artificial gravity), and a fusion reactor and fusion engine. In the latter case, the fusion reactor is largely thematic, but would provide for some ridiculous experimentation with power consumption parts like ion engines; and a high ISP, high thrust engine would let you experiment with easier SSTO's and month-long trips to Duna... something we're going to need to figure out as a species anyway IRL if we're ever to leave this rock and go somewhere in a reasonable amount of time.) 

Really though, as long as new parts don't limit the space-LEGO gameplay mechanics currently in play (by forcing stricter, more "realistic" designs), anything is appreciated!

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.