What do you feel is missing from the STOCK game as far as parts goes ?

With Making History, I'd like to see a few more aviation parts in the same size category as the rest, so:

A 1,875m cockpit (preferably with Airbus-style snubby nose for subsonic aircraft), 1,875m turbofan or prop engine, and a new intermediate-size set of wings.

And a scaled-up version of the Kickback would be a good idea since the 5 meter tank size finally matches the STS external tank with the Kickback filling the role of the shuttle's SRBs.

Guys, I've seen the two-kerbal command pod suggestion a LOT now, and surely it's occured to you that there is both a Gemini-style 2-kerbal pod in the 1.875 meter size and a Russian Vostok style pod in the 1.25 size, so no need to worry, actually, quite a few of these suggestions have been added in Making History. I totally agree that we need stock hinges on the base game. Infernal robotics is OK, but my game crashed when I tried to install it, so maybe not. I'd also like to see a Canadarm-style part and possibly an inflatable habitat, like the BEAM on the ISS, and a spinning habitat ring too. If we added stock bearings, stock-props could be made much more easily, and maybe we wouldn't need an electric propeller. 

3 hours ago, Human Person said:

Are you kidding? These parts have been introduced in versions 0.18 and 1.0.

I think they mean 2.5m plane fuselages rather than MK3. LF tanks at this size would be nice too. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

3 hours ago, Human Person said:

Are you kidding? These parts have been introduced in versions 0.18 and 1.0.

Passenger cabin, yes.  Cargo bay, no.  There aren't any cylindrical cargo bays at all, just the spaceplane form-factor ones (Mk2 and Mk3).

There are the service bays, but those are for a very different purpose-- they're a handy place to stash permanently-attached components that you want to not be exposed on the outside of the craft, but they're so short that they're not really suitable for hauling cargo a la the space shuttle.

Just now, Pthigrivi said:

LF tanks at this size would be nice too.

The lack of any rocket-friendly (i.e. cylindrical) LF-only fuel tanks at all (other than the one lonely 2-ton 1.25m tank) is a glaring omission in the game, and that hole has been there since KSP 1.0.  I really wish they'd fix that, it's incredibly aggravating.

Personally, what I'd like to see them add is not a whole new family of tanks (which would bloat the part tab quite a bit), but rather provide resource switching as a stock feature (perhaps leveraging the variant system).  Imagine if every fuel tank in the game could easily be switched in the vehicle editor to be either LFO or LF.  Simple, easy, no new modeling required, doesn't bloat the parts tab.  And by making it a stock feature, it would open the doors to make resource-switching in general a super accessible thing for modders, which would be wonderful.

I'd really, really like to see them do that.

49 minutes ago, Spacenerd Kerman said:

Guys, I've seen the two-kerbal command pod suggestion a LOT now, and surely it's occured to you that there is both a Gemini-style 2-kerbal pod in the 1.875 meter size and a Russian Vostok style pod in the 1.25 size, so no need to worry, actually, quite a few of these suggestions have been added in Making History. 

That's because all but the last half-dozen posts on the previous page were made before Making History released. :wink:

On 1/4/2019 at 7:42 AM, Snark said:

Personally, what I'd like to see them add is not a whole new family of tanks (which would bloat the part tab quite a bit), but rather provide resource switching as a stock feature (perhaps leveraging the variant system).  Imagine if every fuel tank in the game could easily be switched in the vehicle editor to be either LFO or LF.  Simple, easy, no new modeling required, doesn't bloat the parts tab.  And by making it a stock feature, it would open the doors to make resource-switching in general a super accessible thing for modders, which would be wonderful.

I'd really, really like to see them do that.

...Okay, I couldn't stand it any longer so I wrote a little mod to do exactly this. :)

(Sorry, not meant to be a plug for the mod-- just thought it was germane to the discussion here, as it offers a way to see one possibility of what this might look like if it were a stock feature, in case anyone's interested.  Would be absolutely delighted if they provided this kind of functionality in stock, thus rendering the mod obsolete.)  ;)

18 hours ago, Snark said:

(Sorry, not meant to be a plug for the mod-- just thought it was germane to the discussion here, as it offers a way to see one possibility of what this might look like if it were a stock feature, in case anyone's interested.  Would be absolutely delighted if they provided this kind of functionality in stock, thus rendering the mod obsolete.)  ;)

Wow @Snark you get double bonus points! 1 for a great mod and a 2nd for using "germane" in a sentence!  :D 

• 3 weeks later...

A gizmo that produces EC if sufficiently heated up.

The EC output should be insufficient for operating ore converters and radiators and/or should only start producing any EC if heated beyond ore converter maximum operational temperature. Instead, its primary purpose would be for keeping the reaction wheels at least partially running during reentry. Just a small quality-of-life improvement, y'know.

Also, a pre-Tier 4 battery. Small (30-40) capacity and quite heavy, to give the player a mite bigger margin of error for reaction wheeling in space but still keep it reasonably limited.

Edited by Fraktal

Just now, Tyko said:

I know you're asking about Stock, but FYI Missing History mod has one of those now if you don't want to wait for stock

Missing history (on my client anyway)  just plain deletes the parts it replaces. So I wouldn’t have any 1.875 parts to begin with except for the engine :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Fraston said:

Missing history (on my client anyway)  just plain deletes the parts it replaces. So I wouldn’t have any 1.875 parts to begin with except for the engine :rolleyes:

That's an issue to raise on the Missing History forum page...Hope you get it figured out

Edited by Tyko

20 hours ago, putnamto said:

a cargo bay for MK1 pod size

Details that came to my mind for that in the meantime:

• Doors take up a full half of the bay's circumference.
  • Instead of internal attachment nodes at either end, the cargo bay has a radial mounting rack in the internal surface, exactly opposite of the door's center line. Aside from carrying stuff, the rack can be used as a radial decoupler to detach and push out the cargo, since the bay is so small that the cargo might not have room for RCS. Decoupling functionality can be used as-is or can be staged; the choice would be a VAB tweakable, similar to fairings.

3 hours ago, Fraktal said:

Details that came to my mind for that in the meantime:

• Doors take up a full half of the bay's circumference.
  • Instead of internal attachment nodes at either end, the cargo bay has a radial mounting rack in the internal surface, exactly opposite of the door's center line. Aside from carrying stuff, the rack can be used as a radial decoupler to detach and push out the cargo, since the bay is so small that the cargo might not have room for RCS. Decoupling functionality can be used as-is or can be staged; the choice would be a VAB tweakable, similar to fairings.

while they are at it add the radial mount and staging thing to all of hte cargo bays

Maybe.

Also, I suddenly remembered what I've been missing for a long time now: inline parachute. Because it's ridiculous that you have to choose between the chute or the docking ring when your payload is light enough to need only one chute and you don't want to make the craft asymmetric due to drag and mass distribution.

14 minutes ago, Fraktal said:

Maybe.

Also, I suddenly remembered what I've been missing for a long time now: inline parachute. Because it's ridiculous that you have to choose between the chute or the docking ring when your payload is light enough to need only one chute and you don't want to make the craft asymmetric due to drag and mass distribution.

Actually I tend to put a radial one on top of the pod, inside a decoupler, with whatever I'm using in space on the decoupler. Then as I'm coming down, toss the detritus and pop the chute.

Not that an inline one wouldn't be cleaner, but it's not that much trouble and I feel like I solved a puzzle.

I've been running into needing an engine with performance between a Skipper and Mainsail at around the same tech level (5-6) in a 1.875m diameter. Both the Vector and Mastodon fall in this gap a couple tech levels later (8). I could make due with a Skipper variant in 1.875m diameter, but would prefer around 800 ASL Thrust. A double Bobcat (4 Nozzles) would be about right as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.