What do you feel is missing from the STOCK game as far as parts goes ?

A variant of the stock ksp wheels with all the tweakable properties EXCEPT spring rate and damper. Customizing vehicle suspension using the new robotics parts will be insanely fun with such a wheel. Also removing the wheel mounts when choosing these variants.

Something I just remembered, was probably asked before.

Hovercraft engine. Not VTOL, hover. Fairly low thrust to limit the hovercraft's weight and only produces any thrust at all within a few meters of the ground. Two versions:

1. Monoprop-fueled, high vacuum Isp.
  2. Electric, thrust depends on atmospheric pressure.

Both should be very late in the tech tree, somewhere after the most advanced rover wheels. Seeing how people don't like rovers due to how speed-limited they are due to crash damage, why not give them an option for building something that can semi-safely skim across level ground at high speed to cross large distances?

I'm not sure which parts have been added already, but one thing I've always wanted is a way to make swept back wing. Not ones that are swept but a way to sweep them in flight to change the wing characteristics for low-high altitude changes. And preferably with multiple settings or even auto settings so it can adjust in flight to optimize flight somehow... Maybe based on setable criteria changing the outcome.

Or just enough to set them in flight and have preset positions or something. But that would then start requiring more keybinds.

So, that goes to adding the ability to have Shift+1-0, CTRL+1-0, Shift+CTRL 1-0, and possibly alt with all combos.

And the wings or parts should make it so you can add parts and many any size wing. Which goes back to another concept. Allowing parts to be welded into one physics modeled part. Then I can add parts as one wing reducing parts count for more complex/compound parts. For example a wing have some parts that are fuel filled and others plane and even multi layered. Then weld them and maybe customize how it deals with the physics so it works correctly. And maybe some tools to help it work right and show or if wanted auto set to work correctly based on exposed surfaces. You could have a simple designator to show this. I would do it in a new building specialized for making items to save and then import from the existing custom item saves. But it could be saved changing more fundamental aspects of the parts like removing/modifying physics from a face so you can make new parts from existing ones and make more realistic parts multifaceted parts.

The game coudl already turn off physics. Why not modify the individual facets of a part when joined together so there is no excess physics involved and have conjoined parts act as one where desired. You could even customize the welding to real world like strengths etc. Then it's more like real construction on a vehicle and not a simplified cheat. But I would think changing it so internals aren't hit by physics in an incorrect manner is key. then we can fully utilize the concept of putting parts together and saving them for import into builds.

Does this already exist on parts or would it need the parts overhauled again to add the appropriate qualities to modify?

Either way, being able to make a massive customized wing and saving it as a custom part in the existing save thing would be great if it could turn it into a single part with proper physics and bypass the parts limitations. It could also skyrocket parts potential and design through the roof with much greater control and customization. And give ideas for new base parts to use if needed. Maybe with that eventually better physics for in atmosphere flight to go with it also.

Would it be hard to add flex to parts also?

Edited by Arugela

- larger .625m tanks

- larger spherical tanks

- electric propellers / got em :)

- .625, 1.875 and 2.5m SRBs

- 5-way and 3-way RCS thrusters

- proper IVA instrumentation (not a part, but seriously missing from the stock game)

Edit:

- separate LF and O tanks

Edited by Frank_G
Propellers announced :)

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:10 PM, Fraktal said:

Something I just remembered, was probably asked before.

Hovercraft engine. Not VTOL, hover. Fairly low thrust to limit the hovercraft's weight and only produces any thrust at all within a few meters of the ground. Two versions:

1. Monoprop-fueled, high vacuum Isp.
  2. Electric, thrust depends on atmospheric pressure.

Both should be very late in the tech tree, somewhere after the most advanced rover wheels. Seeing how people don't like rovers due to how speed-limited they are due to crash damage, why not give them an option for building something that can semi-safely skim across level ground at high speed to cross large distances?

Cant we already do this with thrust limiters?

16 hours ago, Ratwerke_Actual said:

They're called fuel cells. You have them. 

Or, if you wanted less efficiency, you could mount opposing nuke engines to each end of a tank and use the alternator.

Alternator?

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, Arugela said:

I'm not sure which parts have been added already, but one thing I've always wanted is a way to make swept back wing. Not ones that are swept but a way to sweep them in flight to change the wing characteristics for low-high altitude changes. And preferably with multiple settings or even auto settings so it can adjust in flight to optimize flight somehow... Maybe based on setable criteria changing the outcome.

Or just enough to set them in flight and have preset positions or something. But that would then start requiring more keybinds.

So, that goes to adding the ability to have Shift+1-0, CTRL+1-0, Shift+CTRL 1-0, and possibly alt with all combos.

And the wings or parts should make it so you can add parts and many any size wing. Which goes back to another concept. Allowing parts to be welded into one physics modeled part. Then I can add parts as one wing reducing parts count for more complex/compound parts. For example a wing have some parts that are fuel filled and others plane and even multi layered. Then weld them and maybe customize how it deals with the physics so it works correctly. And maybe some tools to help it work right and show or if wanted auto set to work correctly based on exposed surfaces. You could have a simple designator to show this. I would do it in a new building specialized for making items to save and then import from the existing custom item saves. But it could be saved changing more fundamental aspects of the parts like removing/modifying physics from a face so you can make new parts from existing ones and make more realistic parts multifaceted parts.

The game coudl already turn off physics. Why not modify the individual facets of a part when joined together so there is no excess physics involved and have conjoined parts act as one where desired. You could even customize the welding to real world like strengths etc. Then it's more like real construction on a vehicle and not a simplified cheat. But I would think changing it so internals aren't hit by physics in an incorrect manner is key. then we can fully utilize the concept of putting parts together and saving them for import into builds.

Does this already exist on parts or would it need the parts overhauled again to add the appropriate qualities to modify?

Either way, being able to make a massive customized wing and saving it as a custom part in the existing save thing would be great if it could turn it into a single part with proper physics and bypass the parts limitations. It could also skyrocket parts potential and design through the roof with much greater control and customization. And give ideas for new base parts to use if needed. Maybe with that eventually better physics for in atmosphere flight to go with it also.

Use servo motors 

I agree with the second part

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, Arugela said:

Use sub assemblies I know it does not solve the physics thing but it is a start

Which is nowhere near sensitive enough to maintain near-1.0 TWR without constantly switching back and forth every few seconds.

It has about as much fun factor as circumnavigating Kerbin at subsonic speed in an excessively stable plane without SAS, trim and physics time warp.

On 7/2/2019 at 12:18 PM, Arugela said:

It should be possible to make https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-sweep_wings using Breaking Ground, but I remember reading that KSP’s aerodynamic model isn’t smart enough for them to make a non-aesthetic difference.

• 2 weeks later...

High priority:

- More landing wheel variants/adjustable landing gear height (Highest priority!)

- 2.5m trusses for larger stations

- Longer fuel tanks: It'd be really nice to have an FL-T1600, Jumbo-128 and S3-28800 instead of having to stack two of the largest tank lengths we already have

- Inflatable habitation modules

- More station modules i.e. labs doing different experiments, logistics modules, etc.

- More small aircraft wing panel sizes: they're almost there, but there's one or two missing shapes I'd like to see

Medium priority:

- More structural adapters: one short length like the Brand Adapter 02, and a long one like the normal Brand Adapter

- More 5m part skins: I don't want every large rocket to look like a Saturn V derivative

- Flatter inline RCS tanks

- More Mk3-compatible wings: referring to both panel wings and single piece wings, with corresponding control surfaces. The current selection is really lacking. I'd like a way to make larger airliner wings and SSTOs look nice.

- More 0.625m fuel tanks

- More fuel tank adapters: the current ones are a bit varied and random when it comes to lengths and diameters. A more comprehensive selection would really be nice

Low priority:

- 3.75m probe core & reaction wheel

- Longer Mk3 adapters: something to allow nicer noses and tails instead of the stubby ones that are only possible now

- 2.5m Rapiers, turbofans and turbojets

- Larger solar panels

- 2.5m SRBs

Edited by Bartybum

I agree with the landing gears.

It might seem like four variants of extendable landing gears are enough, but due to their varying sizes they're quite hard to combine. Also, the large landing gears should be steerable. Real life airplanes do steer when they're taxing, and they're not using Cessna landing gears for that.

I’d like more texture options for parts like tanks. Sometimes I just want a plain colour tank and not have to deal with black and white patterns repeating as I stack the same part a few times. They have improved this already by adding more options but the work is not done yet imo! Keep going! Just more texture variety for parts in general would be great so we can make nicer looking crafts :3

some more landing gears also mebe... or the option to make them look less crappy XD 

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.