Francois424

What do you feel is missing from the STOCK game as far as parts goes ?

Posted (edited)
On 12/20/2018 at 3:48 PM, Shaun said:

2.5m passenger cabin

2.5m cargo bay

Are you kidding? These parts have been introduced in versions 0.18 and 1.0.

Edited by Human Person

With Making History, I'd like to see a few more aviation parts in the same size category as the rest, so:

A 1,875m cockpit (preferably with Airbus-style snubby nose for subsonic aircraft), 1,875m turbofan or prop engine, and a new intermediate-size set of wings.

And a scaled-up version of the Kickback would be a good idea since the 5 meter tank size finally matches the STS external tank with the Kickback filling the role of the shuttle's SRBs.

Guys, I've seen the two-kerbal command pod suggestion a LOT now, and surely it's occured to you that there is both a Gemini-style 2-kerbal pod in the 1.875 meter size and a Russian Vostok style pod in the 1.25 size, so no need to worry, actually, quite a few of these suggestions have been added in Making History. I totally agree that we need stock hinges on the base game. Infernal robotics is OK, but my game crashed when I tried to install it, so maybe not. I'd also like to see a Canadarm-style part and possibly an inflatable habitat, like the BEAM on the ISS, and a spinning habitat ring too. If we added stock bearings, stock-props could be made much more easily, and maybe we wouldn't need an electric propeller. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Human Person said:

I think they mean 2.5m plane fuselages rather than MK3. LF tanks at this size would be nice too. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

3 hours ago, Human Person said:

Passenger cabin, yes.  Cargo bay, no.  There aren't any cylindrical cargo bays at all, just the spaceplane form-factor ones (Mk2 and Mk3).

There are the service bays, but those are for a very different purpose-- they're a handy place to stash permanently-attached components that you want to not be exposed on the outside of the craft, but they're so short that they're not really suitable for hauling cargo a la the space shuttle.

Just now, Pthigrivi said:

LF tanks at this size would be nice too.

The lack of any rocket-friendly (i.e. cylindrical) LF-only fuel tanks at all (other than the one lonely 2-ton 1.25m tank) is a glaring omission in the game, and that hole has been there since KSP 1.0.  I really wish they'd fix that, it's incredibly aggravating.

Personally, what I'd like to see them add is not a whole new family of tanks (which would bloat the part tab quite a bit), but rather provide resource switching as a stock feature (perhaps leveraging the variant system).  Imagine if every fuel tank in the game could easily be switched in the vehicle editor to be either LFO or LF.  Simple, easy, no new modeling required, doesn't bloat the parts tab.  And by making it a stock feature, it would open the doors to make resource-switching in general a super accessible thing for modders, which would be wonderful.

I'd really, really like to see them do that.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Snark said:

Agreed. And I've found straight-up oxidizer tanks useful too.

Edited by Pthigrivi

49 minutes ago, Spacenerd Kerman said:

Guys, I've seen the two-kerbal command pod suggestion a LOT now, and surely it's occured to you that there is both a Gemini-style 2-kerbal pod in the 1.875 meter size and a Russian Vostok style pod in the 1.25 size, so no need to worry, actually, quite a few of these suggestions have been added in Making History. 

That's because all but the last half-dozen posts on the previous page were made before Making History released. :wink:

• Like 2

On 1/4/2019 at 7:42 AM, Snark said:

Personally, what I'd like to see them add is not a whole new family of tanks (which would bloat the part tab quite a bit), but rather provide resource switching as a stock feature (perhaps leveraging the variant system).  Imagine if every fuel tank in the game could easily be switched in the vehicle editor to be either LFO or LF.  Simple, easy, no new modeling required, doesn't bloat the parts tab.  And by making it a stock feature, it would open the doors to make resource-switching in general a super accessible thing for modders, which would be wonderful.

...Okay, I couldn't stand it any longer so I wrote a little mod to do exactly this. :)

(Sorry, not meant to be a plug for the mod-- just thought it was germane to the discussion here, as it offers a way to see one possibility of what this might look like if it were a stock feature, in case anyone's interested.  Would be absolutely delighted if they provided this kind of functionality in stock, thus rendering the mod obsolete.)  ;)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Snark said:

(Sorry, not meant to be a plug for the mod-- just thought it was germane to the discussion here, as it offers a way to see one possibility of what this might look like if it were a stock feature, in case anyone's interested.  Would be absolutely delighted if they provided this kind of functionality in stock, thus rendering the mod obsolete.)  ;)

Wow @Snark you get double bonus points! 1 for a great mod and a 2nd for using "germane" in a sentence!  :D 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Wow @Snark you get double bonus points! 1 for a great mod and a 2nd for using "germane" in a sentence!  :D 

The man knows his Jacksons!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, klesh said:

The man knows his Jacksons!

Ouch...like...OUCH   hehehe   :D 

• Like 1