What do you feel is missing from the STOCK game as far as parts goes ?

I know there's mods for most of these; I love spaceplanes so a few suggestions there, but honestly, I'm glad 1.2 is going to be about updating and revamping the rocket parts; they have needed some love for quite some time now!
- Landing gear of adjustable height and wheel configurations; I love the mod, and I hate the rigidity of the stock gears. they're always either too tall or too short.

- A less 70's space-shuttle-look Mk3 cockpit; or maybe (long term) a Mk4 spaceplane concept that goes the modern looking hypersonic lifting body ala Mk2. Because really... I love the Mk2 design, but the Mk3 looks a bit... old... in comparison.

- SAS/autopilot that actually performs marginally well with airplanes.

- The older rocket parts in such a design that they actually fit together and look a bit nicer

- 3,75 metre pod, holding 5 or 7 kerbals.

- rover cockpit

- Planetary base parts

- More station parts

- robotics parts so we can actually fold up rover wheels, deploy satelites and maybe, finally have that robotic arm. It doesn't need to be super sophisticated, but I'd really like to be able to fold up some things for launching.

- Parts that can be manipulated/attached by kerbals on EVA, so to give them actual meaning to be there. Think KIS.

- More science parts

Non part related:
- A better career progression.

I would build a lot more surface bases if there was a robotic arm or similar part that I could use to easily grab and move base parts to dock to each other. The current options are just too difficult to do without having to spend a lot of time on design.

Well, obviously I want cylindrical tanks for liquid propellant, for nuclear engines, so I don't have to make do with spaceplane parts and their impact on radial symmetry.
I simply think that's a kind of parts that are really missing from a stock game. They should have been there. Or - you should be able to trade Oxidizer capacity for propellant capacity in all kinds of thanks, by sliders. That would be the most elegant solution. ...And lets include Monopropellant.

I also think bigger and more modern crew pods are a missing type of content. This is again forcing me to use spaceplane parts, which feels slightly unsatisfying.

And are we seriously imprisoning the poor Kerbals in a tiny cramped pod for years on long missions? I always improvise habitat modules by putting together something from structural parts or, in an emergency, empty fuel tanks. These will have to represent comfort for my Kerbals. But designated habitat modules would be nice.

Otherwise, I only play science sandbox so my viewpoint is limited. I feel, in that mode gameplay progression should give you access to increasingly modern technology, as well as more technology. I hope you understand the distinction. There's nothing wrong with a crappy engine, crappy pod or crappy tank. They suit early gameplay very well, simulating primitive rocketry. So don't take things like that away. But also don't make us depend on those things forever.

And I want a bigger diameter class of rocket parts, but doubtless I can get those from mods, the day I start using mods.

• 1 month later...

Something between Size 1 and Size 2 (for rockets) could be interesting. 2-crewed capsule, very nasty SRBs... Not sure if a whole set of such "Size 1.5" parts would be necessary (tanks, engines). Maybe adapters for the capsule and a some decouplers would be enough.

On 11/16/2015 at 9:44 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

props in real life have a fairly low flight ceiling so their use would be limited by this first of all.

Also electric props generate large amounts of heat when running at full throttle so they could have a "burnt out" damage state similar to electric wheels. they have a fairly low max speed as well.
spamming the engines also stacks the power requirements.

I'm sure they could be balanced fairly easily.

None of that addresses the spamming issue. You really can't make a KSP part that works well for small payloads but not for larger ones (aside from part count considerations). Would be simpler, IMO, to just make it dual mode instead of electric (LF+IntakeAir for Kerbin/Laythe and LF+O for the other atmospheric bodies).

How about this: The engine detects if it's on a body with air, and if said body has O2, it uses IntakeAir+LF , but if the body doesn't have O2, it uses ElecticCharge. Or, we can just nix the EC engine altogether, and have it use LF+O, very slowly. With .625 meter ISRUs, and a small drill, we can have a plane that can self-refuel anywhere when landed. I like the second option better.

I'd like the existing parts to have more configurations. Something along the lines of Interstellar Fuel Switch or B9PartSwitch and Adjustable Landing Gear. Some people already mentioned the necessity for ground base parts, so for example, in the editor I'd like to swap out the textures for the science lab and the Hitchhiker so I can use them horizontally instead of only vertically.

Even though Squad haven't matched the gloriousness of the procedural parts mods, with adding procedural fairings they've made a good call. The next step would be procedural fuselages, cargo bays and to declutter the long list of wing parts by just adding procedural wings and control surfaces.

Triangular structural panels 1x1 2x1 2x2 1x4 2x4 kind of thing. I'd quite like a stackable seperatron. I'd like a tiny radial intake, very tiny wings and control surfaces. I'd quite like an inflatable heat shield that can be placed in-line if you see what I mean, more like a torus to supplement the umbrella like one we have now, I'm thinking of something similar in size as the 1.25/2.5 meter service bays we have that would be great, as the current one can only be placed in certain places. Thinking of that idea how about some radially attached inflatables for better bouyancy, like the RL Mercury and Gemini and have 3-4 different sizes, as well as some that can be made inline (again like the service bays).

Meh, just a thought...

Edited by ReconXPanzer

A docking port that only allows certain rotational alignments (e.g. only every 90 degrees) would be great for building space stations, and more generally for on-orbit construction.

Some radial fuel tanks (small ones, at least) would come in very useful for things like landers.

4 hours ago, ferrer said:

A docking port that only allows certain rotational alignments (e.g. only every 90 degrees) would be great for building space stations, and more generally for on-orbit construction.

Interestingly this particular function is already supported by the docking module, it just hasn't been enabled. A tweakable to turn this on/off would be nice (once everyone gets back from holiday).

In terms of stuff that's missing parts wise... 3.75m (Capsule / probe / battery / RW / Hab / Lab / Docking Port Grande ), LF and EC powered props (for water and air), Ground anchor part (like the CLAW, but for planetary bases)

Since it sounds like the Poodle is getting a serious revamp for 1.2, I think the original model should be recycled as a 2.5m monoprop engine (which would incidentally make the opening scene and various promo material make sense)

Some larger Ion/NTR alikes would also be nice, possibly something like a VASIMR or MPDT ( in 1.25m format) for uprated/advanced ion options, and a maybe closed cycle gas-core or even fission-fragment (in 2.5m format)

Edited by NoMrBond

I would like folding grid fins like you see on the Falcon 9 first stage. I make ships that have to fly nose-first going up that I would like to fly tail-first coming down, and small folding grid fins would be great for this. It's possible to some of this with AIRBRAKES, but something smaller would be appreciated...hence the request for small grid fins.

10 minutes ago, spacebrick3 said:

I'd like some smaller lights- there was a great mod, Surface Lights, that I used all the time but can't find now- for small illumination, and also some more structural parts to help with building things.

Do you perhaps mean this one? 

an oxidicer only thank, in all variants
an jet-fuel only tank, in all variants (not only mk)

one Size small -> size Tini*4 adapter...
Like the rokomax -> size small adapter...

Edited by Sereneti

Adjustable height wheels would be really nice. Rover-side-mounted wheel rigs that could be raised and lowered. It would revolutionize planetary base building. Whether you mount the wheels directly on the base's modules, or make a little tow truck, the ability to adjust the relative height of the various docking ports would be wonderful.

Rover construction in general needs a little love, I think. A dedicated rover cockpit would be really nice. As would a deployable rover platform. If I recall correctly, Spirit and Opportunity were put down on Mars using a contraption that looked like a tetrahedral bouncy casle. Something like that for Kerbal rovers would be a nice supplement to the good ol' suicide burn.

Maybe not so much "larger" solar panels but moderately more efficient ones that would be a tech level above the Gigantor's

At least one larger nuclear engine would be much appreciated

More information added to the UI to aid the player in finding transfer windows and where to place the ejection node. I know Mechjeb does this but this feature should come stock once you have a level 3 tracking station, or upon purchasing a "computer module" in level 9 tech that helps you plot maneuver nodes for interplanetary intercepts, much like the porkchop plots in Mechjeb

Bug fixes, can't wait for graphics update

-Flat-base base parts to actually have the impression you are building a base. Kerbal Planetary Base Systems looks impressive.

-Whatever part that allows you to do the EVA activities you can do with KIS/KAS.

• 4 weeks later...
On November 15, 2015 at 11:21 PM, Francois424 said:

Not speaking of mods that adds stuff (such as KAS, life support, and so on) but rather without modifying the stock game, what parts you feel are missing ?
Try and keep the list short, I'm going to try and do the same thing.

Let's see :
- Bigger fixed solar panels (say 2x2 or 3x3... that would correctly attach on wings) and the huge ones from FutureSolar.
- Electric Propellers (I'd say 3 sizes: 0.625, 1.25 and 2.5 to fit existing fuel tanks)
- Bigger Nukes (at least a 250 Kn 2.5m)
- Bigger Ions (again, a 1.25/2.5m of maybe 25/100 Kn)
- Bigger RTG ( say an inline 1.25m RTG instead of 4-8+ RTGs on crafts or carrying fuel tank(s) + generator )
- a Nuclear Reactor. That works on Plutonium (only obtainable from KSC so at launch) with very long operating time on a full Plutonium load (Reactor holds maybe 4k PL units and could supply a lot of electricity for very long).
- A 2 man V-shaped 1.25m capsule.
- Maybe a big spherical tank for LF only (Something about 3.5m wide across both vertical/horizontal, with 6 attachment points (N-S-E-W-Up-Down)... More practical (space-wise) than stacking bricks of 10k LF from plane parts.
\--> Don't know how to do maths and calculate how much LF they would hold, but I would use them lots.

So 2+3+1+2+1+1+1+1 = 12 new parts.
Not bad and it kinda takes care of everything I am missing in stock game and constantly need to mod for when a new clean version comes up.

What are your essentials ?

[Edit]
On google I found a site that could calculate how many liters a 3.75m sphere could hold... It's 27'611. Considering the 3.75m cylindrical tank (10m height?) only holds 14'400 I feel this is too much for KSP.
Oh well.

I'd be OK with dropping a ton of science (like 10k) for some of these.

2.5m Nerv, that always produces EC (its nuclear, after all -- so free RTG inside)

1.25m RTG (OP, above)

2.5m Liquid Fuel tanks

3.75m Ore Tank

0.625m "Long" Rocket Fuel Tank

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.