What do you feel is missing from the STOCK game as far as parts goes ?

Just remembered: a part that allows probes and rovers to collect a surface sample while landed. Recommend putting it under the "Advanced Exploration" node in the tech tree (tier 6) so that in order to obtain it, the player already has to upgrade the R&D facility to the point where kerbonauts can collect surface samples themselves.

• inline parachute
  • magnetometer on a deployable boom
  • Geiger counter
  • RPWS
  • UV/VIS/NIR camera
  • seismometer
  • radar
  • capsule with 1.875 m bottom and 1.25 m top so one could make a proper Soyuz-like vehicle (the present one, with 0.625 m top, was a mistake to include)
  • noncheaty RTG unit that decays over decades
  • stronger nuclear thermal engine
  • smaller launch escape system
  • instead of three cluttering spherical capsules of the DLC, one fully equipped spherical capsule and one crappy small sphere, like Spud from HGR
Edited by lajoswinkler

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Forgive me if it has already been mentioned but I'd like to see:

a few of prop engines, starting with some anemic .625 m one to ultra powerful 2.5 meter, in between a couple of 1 m engines.

Large fuel carrying wings that are not swept. 

Cylindrical or semi-cylindrical 2.5 meter aircraft fuselage and fuel tank parts,

And a 2.5 m aircraft glass cockpit (yes I want to build a B-29 Superfortress and do a Bell X-1 supersonic flight). 

(I know most of this is covered in the Airplane Mod)

A Klockwork Kerbal, an early pre-Mk1 Capsule 'probe core' that allows you to launch staged rokkets using the Flea and Hammer engines, before you risk your pilots. Each Klockwork Kerbal would be able to manage three staging events, and the Player would set the time for each event before the vehicle leaves the VAB. Given the limited amount of control options available at such a low tech level the KK is not expected to actually fly the rokket in any meaningful direction except, hopefully, up.

A pure eye-candy addition would be a Memorial Garden at KSC, where a little (Kerbal Heght) Black Obelisk for each fallen (permanently dead) Kerbal appears. Back in Version 1.0 when all (AFAIK) Kerbal deaths were permanent I used to get his comrades to plant a flag at the Astronaut center or Admin building with the fallen Kerbal's name, date and mission on it. But if you still have to upgrade the facility you have to remove the flags.

Another eye-candy feature that I would not mind seeing are landing lights for the runway and 'search light'' style beam lighting for the launch pad, to make your night time launches and landing more visually dramatic. I expect there probably is already a mod for this.

Anyway, happy launches all,

Regards

Orc

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Ron Devu said:

For the poor guys whose docking ports have become useless because they are permanently locked in the "docked" state: How about a reset button on the docking ports? Maybe call it "arm".

It is truly maddening to fly a mission to some place like Eloo, or Joomla and find out your lander won't un-dock. 

I'very taken to using the Claw as a workaround.

Hey how about a connector where Kerbals can go in between two things  inside of the part I.e a hitchhiker and a lab.

And a way to move the Vab and Ssh camera move up down left right on Xbox EE

Ok I get that it’s a camera thing and not a part thing but still.

Edited by Mikenike

• 2 months later...

I think it’d be nice to have a small inline ASAS module, kind of like back in the old days. It’s become relevant again due to the changes to the way SAS works in 0.90, and I think having another option than the pointy Avionics Module to add SAS capability without probe control would be a nice addition. 

Oh and as long as I’m at it, let’s go with inline chutes! My god would those be nice, and more importantly, would avoid the problem of sticking a big radial one on a Mk1 pod. That looks so ugly.

Edited by RyanRising

On 4/2/2019 at 5:29 PM, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

this doesn't have anything to do with parts but i feel like other than space travel and flight and building various vehicles there's not much else to do, some type of combat would be nice, just something for the kerbals to actually do idk

Plenty of other games have combat.  One of the beauties of this game is that there is no combat

4 minutes ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

ok but imagine this:

KSP with combat

No thank you.  KSP wasn't designed with combat in mind.  It is never going to perform at the levels of a dedicated combat engine would.

And, I personally don't want to see combat in KSP.  I don't want it enough to be willing to give up a mod which a number of people were pressing me to put in combat-related patches.  Strangely enough, no one who wanted those patches took me up on the offer to take over the mod.  It is nameless here because the specific mod isn't relevant to this discussion.

Optional life support, larger delta wings,  dedicated space station modules, dedicated ground station modules, a redesigned Mk1 plane part, a .625 afterburner, more wing parts. To please the combat crowd, optional combat. To please the multiplayer crowd, optional multiplayer.

Edited by Mikenike

I'm sure I could remember plenty of ideas I've had over the past few years but one thing that I was just thinking about today:

Science parts.

I was watching one of the AbSciCon livestreams discussing the design of the upcoming (maybe) Europa Lander mission, and of course I was reading about the recently confirmed Dragonfly mission. And one of the big things that KSP doesn't teach, is science on space probes. There's only a handful of science parts, many of them so small they're like an afterthought. The materials bay is the largest science part in the game, yet it bears no resemblance to the experiments on real space probes.

In KSP there's never really the experience of building a space probe, carefully selecting the right scientific instruments for the job, and designing the mission around the science. In particular one type of experiment that we're missing is photography. It would be so cool to be able to photograph planets and get science based upon the quality of the image. There's a lot more to spacecraft camera design than slapping an off the counter camera onto the spacecraft and calling it a day.

1 minute ago, GregroxMun said:

I'm sure I could remember plenty of ideas I've had over the past few years but one thing that I was just thinking about today:

Science parts.

I was watching one of the AbSciCon livestreams discussing the design of the upcoming (maybe) Europa Lander mission, and of course I was reading about the recently confirmed Dragonfly mission. And one of the big things that KSP doesn't teach, is science on space probes. There's only a handful of science parts, many of them so small they're like an afterthought. The materials bay is the largest science part in the game, yet it bears no resemblance to the experiments on real space probes.

In KSP there's never really the experience of building a space probe, carefully selecting the right scientific instruments for the job, and designing the mission around the science. In particular one type of experiment that we're missing is photography. It would be so cool to be able to photograph planets and get science based upon the quality of the image. There's a lot more to spacecraft camera design than slapping an off the counter camera onto the spacecraft and calling it a day.

Excellent post. 

If you have seen how the Philae (hope that is how is spelled) and how it landed on a comet, then you would have known it's landing legs had drills that would stick to the surface. That would be nice for say a gilly mission or an asteroid landing!

23 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No thank you.  KSP wasn't designed with combat in mind.  It is never going to perform at the levels of a dedicated combat engine would.

And, I personally don't want to see combat in KSP.  I don't want it enough to be willing to give up a mod which a number of people were pressing me to put in combat-related patches.  Strangely enough, no one who wanted those patches took me up on the offer to take over the mod.  It is nameless here because the specific mod isn't relevant to this discussion.

I have made a ship fall out of orbit explode at 25000ft and and turn literally into a giant mushroom cloud that was as big as the area betwen KSP and the island with the landing strip. You are mistaken sir!

20 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Excellent post. 

To poop on! 8p

Aren't all weapons just a highly utilitarian application used towards a person or machine. Kerbals won't mind and the machines need testing.

Edited by Arugela

2 hours ago, Arugela said:

I have made a ship fall out of orbit explode at 25000ft and and turn literally into a giant mushroom cloud that was as big as the area betwen KSP and the island with the landing strip. You are mistaken sir!

To poop on! 8p

Aren't all weapons just a highly utilitarian application used towards a person or machine. Kerbals won't mind and the machines need testing.

Each to his/her own

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.