Every new version of KSP.... driving me mad

fisfis

Firstly, my apologies for not reading every post in this thread fully, so if I'm repeating others' comments then credit to you for thinking of it first.

So. ..

Whilst I do understand the frustrations of every new update breaking something, however small, what's the alternative?

Squad, IMO,  are absolutely right to tweak and re-balance parameters and physics calculation and add or change parts etc. to fix what they consider to be faults or to make things work better as a game.

Inevitably this can, and does,  mean that stuff already launched will behave differently to what it did originally and may fail as a result, so yes I get why that's frustrating, but without the changes the game could not improve.  A necessary evil.

That disappointment is an inevitable consequence of playing a game that is not yet finished, while pretending that it is finished (that is to say, expecting that there will be no more big changes to the game).

I hope Squad continue to evolve KSP. I start a new career every update as by definition, updates make changes. I like those changes, but sadly i reverted to FAR after trying out the new atmosphere, reverted to Proc. Fairings after trying out the stock ones, and am still using many other mods for things that should be stock.

Those who don't want to deal with change can always stop installing the updates...

On 2015-11-16 at 0:11 AM, Hobbes Novakoff said:

There is no "standard software releasing schema." Most of the bugs you mention aren't actually SQUAD's fault. It's a natural consequence of having a physics-based game like this. Not to mention, it's frankly useless for them to do any major bugfixes as they are currently updating to a whole new game engine. However, on the improvements you speak of, I see your point on the viewing-fuel-in-map thing. But I don't know what you're talking about when you say "I can't control the ship in map view." Click the arrow on the bottom of the screen, that will bring up the navball, you can control.

This is a very common way:

• Major version numbers change whenever there is something significant, a large or potentially backward-incompatible change to a software package.
  • Minor version numbers change when a new, minor feature is introduced, or when a set of smaller features is rolled out.
  • Patch numbers change when a new build of the software is released to customers. This is normally for small bugfixes or the like.

The way I view this: I noticed early on that in KSP's ongoing development, game/ship breaking changes from one version to the next are almost guaranteed. It is disappointing, more so since they labeled a version 1.0, but I have accepted it as part of KSP (disclaimer: I reserve the right to still be vocal about bugs or breaking changes, despite my acceptance).

The moment I accepted that, I made a copy of my Steam KSP folder and moved it elsewhere, doing so for every new version, regardless of major, minor, or hidden patch release. That way I can keep playing any of my ongoing careers in the same version and mods list required for that career - a habit I inherited from other games that made this necessary (ultra-modded Skyrim, I'm looking at you).

I tried a couple of times to leverage an old save file to a new version, but have run into all kinds of problems with randomly exploding or disappearing ships/bases, so I decided to give up on that. Apparently it's not to be, for now. So if after some time a new version appears 'career-stable' to me, I just start a new career. Usually this is around the time that my most wanted mods start catching up too.

I still have my old careers to go back to when I feel like continuing something I put a lot of time in building before. But it tends to not take very long for me to move on with the newest version. At the moment, I only have a 1.0.2 and a 1.0.4 folder that I haven't zipped up for archiving, and even those I have not fired up in a couple of weeks now.

Is this ideal? No. Do I wish I could seamlessly continue my previous career throughout versions? Of course. Do I hate not having that awesome sat network or space station of extraplanetary base in the newest KSP? Absolutely. But hey, it's a game, it's entertainment and a pass time, so I try not to sweat it. At least KSP has a method for me to pretend like nothing changed and I can keep playing in that version/save file for as long as I wish... without it stopping me from also trying out the newer versions.

All that said: SQUAD, I would not mind at all if you figured out a way of converting save files from one version to the next. I mean, if there is anyone who knows what changed, it's you. It's a bit of extra effort, but think of how much more awesome we'd all think you are for allowing us to reliably keep (most of) our ongoing careers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.