Custom actions while flying

I understand what fisfis is saying: add the ability to edit custom action groups in flight. I second this, because also a way to view what the action groups are while flying could be very useful: did I assign engine shut down to 2, and abort auto destruct and explode seuqence to 3? or was it engine shut downt to 3 and explode to 2? It can make a big difference and this has happened before.

[quote name='jf0']... did I assign engine shut down to 2, and abort auto destruct and explode seuqence to 3? or was it engine shut downt to 3 and explode to 2? It can make a big difference and this has happened before.[/QUOTE]

:D Exactly. And when you dock / undock something with same custom buttons mapped... Edited by fisfis

Already suggested a million times, yet never implemented.
You can hope for it to appear in 1.1, but Squad definitely knows the community wants these so I don't think suggesting it one more time will change anything.

Would indeed be great though...

[quote name='T-Bouw']fisfis, I think you should elaborate on your suggestion if you want a higher succes of it becomming something.
I, for one, can't make anything of it.

Details details fellow forum-goer![/QUOTE]

You see :) And I thought I was clear in my suggestion. Ok. So let me describe it more closely:

Sometimes it would be handy to be possible to modify custom actions defined in VAB. Especially in cases when two different ships are docked together and custom actions overlaps (i.e. I want to retract panels on first but I don't want to toggle engine on a second). You usually forgot mappings in a week.

Also, sometimes you notice in deep space that mapping should be done in different way. So you revert back to VAB, change what you need and do other 20 minute long flight just to check that everything works as you wish (in Hard career mode this is even not possible).

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Gaarst']Already suggested a million times, yet never implemented.[/QUOTE]

So what you want to say is that Squad does not take care about comunity at all and they blindly follows their road map? Edited by fisfis

[quote name='fisfis']So what you want to say is that Squad does not take care about comunity at all and they blindly follows their road map?[/QUOTE]

No, they do listen to the community sometimes (see all the post-1.0 aerodynamics and thermal corrections).
I don't really know on what criteria Squad will or will not implement something suggested by the community (1.0.x "fixes" vs. stock dV readouts); and I don't pretend to know what is better or not for the game development, so I let them decide what is to be in the game or not: it's their game, they do what they want. Edited by Gaarst

[quote name='Gaarst']it's their games, they do what they want.[/QUOTE]

Agree. Till the point we are supporting them :)

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='T-Bouw']... people can already modify the staging-order, so why not this in the same vein right?[/QUOTE]

Exactly :) And from my perspective, in real ship it would be much easier to reprogram actions than staging :)

[quote name='fisfis']
Sometimes it would be handy to be possible to modify custom actions defined in VAB. Especially in cases when two different ships are docked together and custom actions overlaps (i.e. I want to retract panels on first but I don't want to toggle engine on a second). You usually forgot mappings in a week.
[/QUOTE]

That is very annoying, it also removes some of the flexibilty of stations in what craft you can dock with it.
It would be really handy to have an app (like the resource app) to show action groups.

And welcome to the forums:).

While it is a mod, I will point out my work on Action Groups Extended.

It does both things asked for in this thread in allowing in-flight editing of action groups and also naming of action groups so you can remember what the different groups do.

It also increases the number of action groups available so you don't run into the issue of groups overlapping as often.

Fully compatible with stock, it will import actions already assigned and any actions assigned through it to groups 1 through 10 will stay assigned if you uninstalled it.

[url=http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74195-1-0-5-%28Nov14-15%29-Action-Groups-Extended-250-Action-Groups-in-flight-editing-Now-kOS-RemoteTech?p=1052269#post1052269]Action Groups Extended[/url]

D.

Thanks for recommendation Diazo.

But, to be honest, instead of adding new parts and changing of the game mechanics developers should focus on making the game as much user friendly as possible. As they claimed they will not develop any autopilots and whatever else, they should focus on tuning of existing stuff to make possible to be playing the game very easily (even when the difficulty is set to hard).

To be honest, I hate mods from many perspectives. It can be discontinued, new versions of the game are not usually compatible with current mod version, in some cases it takes ages to release compatible version of mod, they are crashing games so many times, there is no usually support from anybody (authors of the game can't support it and mod author usually does not have time). It is someting like when you have a mouse with 20 butons and after that you have to use just three button mouse.

Ofcoure it is great what comunity is doing for various games, but sill, developers are the ones who are leading the direction and I think modifications I have recently described are not that difficult to be implemented and also will make the game more playable without any mods.

They should also add extra banks of action groups to go with it.

I thought it would be cool to map a separate one to alt/Rightshift. Then they can have ships coliding auto set to the Alt/RightShift category to not mesh them. Or let you set them so they do not mesh as you combine vehicles. This could help with docking and or multi-vehicle setups. We need more action groups regardless. And the more action groups the better.

If the problem with new action groups is shortcuts. They could also go the RPG route and add action bars on an action bars and visually represent them and you would simply have to push many instead of having a keyboard shortcut. This would give a potentially unlimited ammount. It would also help both situations. Unless it adds that much problem to the lag like in most rpgs. They never seem write the code for the interface well and it's always a problem. Especially since this is a physics game..

Maybe they could let you make and save macros which would be saved action groups that could be put in them. Give it an icon and the instructions. Those could be the adjustable ones even. They would need a new way to put them in the different location and give icons and names. They would also need to let you turn them on and off to save lag from screen usage more than likely.

If they added a way to adjust macros out of the VAB/SPH that would be half way or more to idea of modifying in flight/space. Even if you need to stop to change them practically. Edited by Arugela

[quote name='Arugela']...[/QUOTE]

Agree, but this sound like a lot of work and redesign of many things.

I rather would stay on the ground and ask just for possibility to modify actions during the flight.

Everything is developed already and we are just missing in-game GUI which is usually the simplest part of the development phase. So I will be glad if there is additional in-game gui allowing modification of custom actions.

Additional to this, more keys / buttons can be added, but it would probably require more code modifications than the previous case.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.