Can we talk about the new MK I cockpit

Dr Farnsworth

Should we have the old MK I and the new one too choose from?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have the old MK I and the new one too choose from?

• Yes
    • No

[quote name='Chaos_Klaus']That is all complete crap. Sorry.

Firstly: [url]http://www.space.com/24902-european-space-plane-eads-images.html[/url]
New MK1 is totally viable for space. [/QUOTE]

Because that doesn't totally look like a learjet with rockets strapped to it.

[quote name='Chaos_Klaus']Secondly: Did you actually *see* the old MK3 parts? How were those better then the new ones? Modular? I mean there was a tank and a cockpit ... wow.[/QUOTE]

I've been playing at this since 2012, so yeah, I saw them quite a bit. Tamed them even, you could say:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/T4ue66t.png[/img]

I'm not saying Mk3 parts are any less modular, and I'm certainly not saying they aren't a serious art upgrade (after all then original Mk3 parts came from a mod in the first place), I'm saying [I]some[/I] parts seem a tad restricted lately, less LEGO-like than they could be. But hey, build a rocket with a Mk1 cockpit on top and tell me how good it looks.

Rune. Heck, I even asked for them both in the game, like Max said in a squadcast they would do.

[quote name='Melfice']Or wait for the obligatory "THE OLD PARTS WERE BETTER YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER CHANGED A THING YOU'RE LITERALLY WORSE THAN HITLER" mod somebody is going to release.[/QUOTE]
This has already happened with the old 1.25 meter stuff in the old updates before, like, 0.20, so I think [B]SOMEONE [/B]would be crazy enough to make a mod like that.

Here is the old cockpit as a mod, including the old IVA.

[URL="http://en.file-upload.net/download-11072912/OldMk1Cockpit.rar.html"]OldMk1Cockpit.rar[/URL]

Just put it in your game data folder like any other mod. Edited by Chaos_Klaus

• 1 month later...

The primary issue with the new cockpit is that it looks like a luxury airliner, not a spaceplane. not to say that i don't love the cockpit, we just need to have a cockpit that matches the asthetic of a spaceplane-- very utilitarian. the new cockpits IVA screams this, but the exterior model says: Rich people fly this to prove they are better than you. we need both for different roles.

What I really want (think I said this somewhere back in this thread) is to have a new Mk 1 cockpit with a reworked model but still the same style as the old one. The new one just doesn't look right, as others have said. It's got a beautiful model, inside and out, but it looks like a Lear jet. It doesn't look like an early-game rocket plane cockpit.

I'd say, keep the new one. Chop the nose off to give it a 0.625-meter node at the front, give it a high crash tolerance and low mass, and stick it at the end of the tech tree, somewhere around the Mk 3 cockpit. It'd look good there. Then, build a new new Mk 1 cockpit. Make it look like this:

D-558-II-NASA-E-1442.jpg

And put that at the start of the tech tree to replace the old Mk 1.

I also voted 'yes'.

Thoughts of 'old vs new' apart, people defending the new model are ignoring the fact that both cockpits are FUNCTIONALLY different. At least two people mentioned that they had to redesign their vessels because the hatch is in a different place than the old model. So, the new cockpit is not just a new texturing of the old one.

We don't have so many cockpits in the game stock that I can see just throwing one out for no reason.

Even if you placed it higher up in the part tree and buffed it's stats some to differentiate the two, I'd be ok with that...hell if it was worse than the new Mk.1 I'd still use it.

Also, I realize that accounting for taste is difficult but seriously, the new Mk.1 looks like it was ripped straight out of Microsoft flight simulator, on anything but the most boring true to life plane recreations it sticks out like a sore thumb. If I had to choose between them I'd keep the old style, at least it looked right if used on either a plane or a rocket (or even a rover), and it was just way more Kerbal, it had it's own identity...I mean this isn't a realistic simulator, it's cartoony and stylized, or at least it used to be. Not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill but the new Mk.1 design kinda concerns me, if this is the direction of all future Kerbal part updates I'm not sure it's really in the spirit of what is essentially a "lego" styled space game about little green men.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

4 hours ago, katateochi said:

The new one is nice, but I think the old one was nicer for spaceplanes and also worked for some rovers, the new one is clearly not a rover cab.  

This.  I've designed a whole series of larger-type rovers that go beyond the usual small command seat-type, and the old Mk1 is perfect for them.  It's a big reason I've stuck with 1.04 as I have no real use for the new Mk 1.

Spoiler

9MydTDM.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.