Well, my power went out...

HafCoJoe

Yes. Buy a solar panel. In the end, the cost is the same (electricity/year vs solar panel/price). They won't live for ever. In the winter/cloudy days, they are useless. A storage device (battery) may help.

[quote name='Kaboom!']Remember ole Hurricane Sandy? My Pennsylvania suburb was right it its path. It took a long time to lose the power too, so we watched movies to wait it out before it happened. We went to a friend's house who had a generator that was powerful enough to power the whole house, so we watched movies there. The power at our house came back on after that night, as we live right on a business strip with a fire department. The power here never stays out for more than a few hours. We get lucky. But we're moving soon, so we might have to endure outages for a week.

God dangit Mom.[/QUOTE]

I remember Sandy. Hell, they won't let us forget it here. They're [I]still[/I] rebuilding from it... a hot-button topic especially regarding dune reinforcement. My house was spared damage by the storm, although it did lose power for over a week - imagine the smell I encountered upon returning home, emanating from my meat freezer. I was out of town the duration of the storm, up in Maine. When I was ready to return my trip was delayed yet another week because of the blizzard which followed the hurricane. I was absent for 3 weeks all total.

Then, to add insult to injury, the following summer Seaside Heights (boardwalk) burned down.

[quote name='boxley']ooh, had the worst of it a while ago, I think it was 08? 09? where the united states was somehow totally snowed over and cold and icey rain covered the entirety of my county like an inch deep, power was out for like 2 weeks straight so we bought a generator to keep the fridge running[/QUOTE]
Why buy a generator if you can leave the food outside?

So, I believe it was October 19th. Around 7:15 PM IIRC. My parents and I were in the middle of watching the 2nd episode of Halloween Wars. Then the power went out. It came back on around 9 PM. A month later, still no word from Idaho Power on what caused the outage.... and it was a BIG outage, affecting "over 8,000 customers" according to what the reply was when we called IP.

• 2 weeks later...

In 2010-11 (I don't know) I was playing LEGO star wars the complete saga, and I was in the middle of fighting Darth Sidious/Vader, and I was just about to beat them when the power went out, I stared at the screen for a few seconds, then I got up and walked sadly to my room. (By the way, It took 3-4 days for the power to come back on. And guess what? It was in the middle of winter, during a snowstorm, in the Pacific NW!)

On 11/20/2015, 1:46:42, UnionPacific1983WP said:

So, I believe it was October 19th. Around 7:15 PM IIRC. My parents and I were in the middle of watching the 2nd episode of Halloween Wars. Then the power went out. It came back on around 9 PM. A month later, still no word from Idaho Power on what caused the outage.... and it was a BIG outage, affecting "over 8,000 customers" according to what the reply was when we called IP.

A couple of weeks ago, Kitsap WA had a major power outage that took power away from over 100k people, My family was part of it:/

Many years ago when I lived in Puerto Rico, the power would go out when a little drop of water fell from the clouds, meaning it would go out once or twice a week. We used electricity for not much more than the computer, the television, the AC (which were individual wall units in each room), and the stove. Not to mention the water, which could also go away without much notice. :huh: I'm not sure if the infrastructure has improved since then, but the situation over there still looks quite grim. Now where I live, it's the total opposite: the power only goes out once or twice a year, and we need electricity for practically everything except the gas stove!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.