Forum Migration Nov 27th!

KasperVld

Welp. I never saw a problem with vBulletin. And never seemed to need more functionality. And data will be lost and no more blogs and no more rocket builders!

*queue taps*

[video=youtube;WChTqYlDjtI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChTqYlDjtI[/video]

If you're doing away with the RB subforum and the blog feature, could you be so good as to either keep them archived or to export them to the wonderful folks over at the [URL="archive.org"]Internet Archive[/URL]? Most of the KSP Forums are already accessible through them, but it'd be a shame to lose many of these posts forever. Edited by MarrusQ

AFAIK all those features like custom emoticons and realtime notifications are available on or as addons for VBulletin. And I don't see why you can't just archive the Rocket Builders forum. I'm sure you have good technical reasons to move to other software, but you could tell us them, instead of listing superficial features which exist on VBulletin.

[quote name='zekes']Well, if you spent 2-4 hours a day every day for three years working on a company like I have, you wouldn't think it was too serious.[/QUOTE]
Well, if I spent 2-4 hours a day every day working on a company that will fall to pieces because one thread is deleted, I'd think that I have failed.

Drawing parallels to real life, as you like:
I wouldn't lament that my company is destroyed because I have to shred old invoices or clean-up my mailbox. That's what's happening here, SQUAD is removing the records of history, but really, is it so important to keep a proof that a year ago someone asked you to build a Mun rocket?
If a building in which I have an office was being demolished it would be an annoyance, but I would just find another office to base my company in.
If I was forbidden from advertising my company in a specific media outlet, well that is one thing that could actually impact my business. But I don't think it's going to be so severe. If the roleplaying community moves on to a separate forum and only a showcase thread can be left in spacecraft exchange then it can contain links to the new office.
Of course I'll have to move all the important documents to the new office, all the designs, client contacts, employee data etc. You have 6 days to do that.
Really, what your company is, is people, relationships, contacts, assets, intellectual property. Those things can be easily saved.

Please, to all the people saying that this move destroys the community: If you have really built a true community then it can't be destroyed by deleting one subforum! Come on! Stop being a bunch of whiny kids and become real CEOs.

[quote name='DuoDex']
Can't say about the links, but preliminary testing indicates they will be broken :( Though I expect Kasper to have a few tricks up his sleeve.[/QUOTE]

But, you can build redirector using database table containing old-style to new-style URL pairs. And this redirector could return just send HTTP redirect with new-style URL. I think this redirector will have a simple code. The main problem is to generate this database table during conversion.

[quote name='DaJay42']That stuff's ugly as all hell, and their post editor is about as flexible as wheel chair on an ice rink.[/QUOTE]

I literally lol'd.

A tech support forum we use for a product at work uses IPS. It's....challenging. I'm not quite sure why the admins decided to go that route.

[quote name='Fwiffo']I hope what you mean is you don't consider it to be a likely risk. If you mean it's not an important feature, I politely but [SIZE=4][B]LOUDLY [/B][/SIZE]disagree.

There are hundreds of links out there on the web (and in my own game notes) pointing to specific threads and post #'s for details on handling various problems, things to follow up on, or as a source of more in-depth knowledge. Please keep these working and implement redirection for the legacy links (both url's and # anchors) if needed.[/QUOTE]

QFT

10 Characters

[B]@KasperVId:

[/B]There are two things that worry me most:

[LIST=1]
[*]Blogs contain a lot of useful information for all of us even if the author is no longer active in the community. So, relying on the authors to preserve those, seems to be a really bad idea.
So, could you please just [B]automatically[/B] [B]carry over the blogs as (read-only?) posts[/B] to the new forum (maybe in a Blogs subforum or so).
[*]There are a lot of external places that link to forum threads. Google results, Github, KerbalStuff were already mentioned, I'll add CKAN to the list. While links within the forum can (and hopefully will) be automatically converted, that's not possible for links from outside.
Would it be possible for the [B]URLs to old threads to just forward to the new location[/B] on the new forum?
[/LIST]

Moreover, an advance notice of one week (including only [B]one[/B] [B]weekend[/B]) seems extremely short. If people are working during the week and have other things to do on this weekend (or are on vacation) they have no chance to save their work.

Maybe you could just [B]preserve the old forum installation under a different URL and in read-only mode for a month or two[/B]? That would give people a fair time to migrate their content.

[quote name='KasperVld'][...] We'll assess if further action is required to fix broken links after the migration, but I don't generally consider that critical.[/QUOTE]

I hope this is a joke, calling link integrity non-critical for internet stuff in general and interactive internet stuff like forums in particular...

If the new forum retains the idea of an index number for threads, and the numbers stay the same, then a rewrite rule should handle it.

However if the numbers change or are done away with altogether, it's more difficult.

Whatever the technical details, breaking every deep link to the forum is A Bad Thing. You've got links on Curse for a start, which means the "official" mod site will have broken links to the "official" forums.

I think an email should be sent to [I]every [/I]member of this forum about this. Everyone deserves to know about this.

A big announcement won't be enough, no, some people are on leave (vacation, family or whatnot) and won't be able to get the message in just 7 days. Inactive members are also invited to start contributing again after the forum upgrade.

Are the technicians properly trained on how to do this correctly and as swiftly as possible? I sure hope so. Edited by longbyte1

Seems a downstep for me.... noticed some that actively used blogs &Co (even though I was too lazy to)
only new function I will use is "Tag people in your posts" rest will be either turned off due email spam or worse from we have yet.

[quote name='Fwiffo']Maybe while you're at it you could add an option to extend the default timeout. It gets annoying having to log back in so frequently. Have tried "Remember Me". Don't seem to have this issue on other vBulletin based forums out there. Ignore this post if I'm the only one with the problem :-).[/QUOTE]
I don't know what you are talking about. I might have be log in for about 5 times since I am gained membership including the last great loss ... I mean the last forum transfer. The rest of times I was already logged in when I was visiting. ... and I might explain that my browser seem to have trouble with remembering cookies since I have to identify the new machine on steam (and on humblebundle and on other sites, too) each time I start up my browser.

edit: @OP would be nice to have the current forum ... at least as a raw backup (just a dump of html files) ... no one can do anything with it but the information stays.

Edit: and what about the roleplay thing? Not liking that ppl are engaged in your game? Then shut down sales and development, too. Edited by Bizz Keryear

[quote name='charfa']Well, if I spent 2-4 hours a day every day working on a company that will fall to pieces because one thread is deleted, I'd think that I have failed.

Drawing parallels to real life, as you like:
I wouldn't lament that my company is destroyed because I have to shred old invoices or clean-up my mailbox. That's what's happening here, SQUAD is removing the records of history, but really, is it so important to keep a proof that a year ago someone asked you to build a Mun rocket?
If a building in which I have an office was being demolished it would be an annoyance, but I would just find another office to base my company in.
If I was forbidden from advertising my company in a specific media outlet, well that is one thing that could actually impact my business. But I don't think it's going to be so severe. If the roleplaying community moves on to a separate forum and only a showcase thread can be left in spacecraft exchange then it can contain links to the new office.
Of course I'll have to move all the important documents to the new office, all the designs, client contacts, employee data etc. You have 6 days to do that.
Really, what your company is, is people, relationships, contacts, assets, intellectual property. Those things can be easily saved.

Please, to all the people saying that this move destroys the community: If you have really built a true community then it can't be destroyed by deleting one subforum! Come on! Stop being a bunch of whiny kids and become real CEOs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because I wouldn't give a crap if 3 years of KSP work of mine had been deleted.

It might not matter to you, but for some others, it certainly will.

This forum become a good knowlage base as time passed. There is plenty still valid tutorials, even from early KSP development. Some of post creators were much less active due to variousreal life issues.

Don't know if I understand OP properly, are you saying that those non active members who don't back up their data will lost it forever ?
If that is a case, much better solution will be to move existing forum on new sub domain, or even better, leave everything as is, just lock down forum so you can't write new post.

Rather create new forum on new domain and migrate users there. I doubt that everyone will be able to backup their content from old form and even if they do, much less people will have willpower to repost everything on new forum. November 27th will come too soon.

Plenty of usefull information, not only related to game, but also quite a lot real life problems/solutions info will be lost.

This seems absolutely nuts. I never understood the whole RP aspect of Rocket Builders, I thought it was silly-and yes, I know, this is coming from a guy who writes kerbal fanfic in Powerpoint. I could totally see locking those threads forever and coming down hard on any new instance of roleplaying. But people created content in that forum for themselves and for others, and they did so with the expectation that it would be treated like any other content. A lot of people in Rocket Builders even managed to post that content without violating any Community Guidelines or Forum Rules at all.

So, now we're going to remove ALL of it--all those ships, all the images, all the effort people put in to making a richer KSP experience for themselves and their fellow users--but we're going to make darn sure we keep "Offend the User Above You!", "Things That Made You Facepalm!", and who knows how many other ill-concieved and locked threads--not to mention [I]all [/I]1267 pages (and counting!) of important "Number Wars" history!

I don't get it. I'm already getting questions from readers wondering if MY content is going to be safe. I'm told it will be, but who knows? Maybe next time around someone decides that user-created fiction is a bad thing, and everything I've worked on and all the interactions I've had with my readers just disappears.

@yemo: try following the embeded imgur drama.

btw does anyone know where exactly imgur said they were gonna depreciate their old album embeds? you know the ones that still work just fine on other sites like kerbal stuff over 6 month after ksp forums switched without warning or feedback? this "future proof" argument is beginning to spring some leaks... :/