Forum Migration Nov 27th!

KasperVld

Since I'm technically running an 1 person company (KATEC), can I have it moved over to the new spacecraft exchange? It's my repository for craft and ideas, and I'd like to preserve it. Thank you.

:)

And the new forum will be rather interesting. :D

[quote name='KasperVld']
[LIST]
[*]After some discussion in this thread we'll (most likely temporarily) keep a read-only version of the Rocket Builders forum available for people who wish to retrieve their content but were unable to at first. This archive will be available to a link which we will post on the new forums.
[*]We love to see people work together to build craft and such, and as long as the roleplay element is remove from the Rocket Builder company threads there's nothing stopping you from posting these collaborative threads in the new Spacecraft Exchange forum.
[/LIST]
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this much, at least. However, I [I]still[/I] don't understand the benefit of the "most likely temporary" status of the RB archive. I believe keeping the archive permanently would entail considerably less hassle for all involved, mods and admins included, as well as being considerably more respectful to the users who have put hundreds of hours of work into the contents of that forum.

So I have an idea, it might not be the best idea to implement. I understand and support the moderators decision to get rid of the rocket builders forum, what I don't agree with is how their doing it, kinda sudden for my liking.
So what if the moderators just set up another forum.
I mean, the rocket builders forum isn't that big, and you could set up some people as moderators so you guys don even have to deal with it.
That way people can still have a company setting, I think that is a lot of fun for the people who like to do it. And people can still get the amazing builds that come out of the companies.
I'm sure that coping the 20ish pages of the rocket builders to another SEPERATE forum. Like not a different page, a complete separate forum.

[quote name='Phoenix Areospace']So I have an idea, it might not be the best idea to implement. I understand and support the moderators decision to get rid of the rocket builders forum, what I don't agree with is how their doing it, kinda sudden for my liking.
So what if the moderators just set up another forum.
I mean, the rocket builders forum isn't that big, and you could set up some people as moderators so you guys don even have to deal with it.
That way people can still have a company setting, I think that is a lot of fun for the people who like to do it. And people can still get the amazing builds that come out of the companies.
I'm sure that coping the 20ish pages of the rocket builders to another SEPERATE forum. Like not a different page, a complete separate forum.[/QUOTE]

Well we the RBers can create our own forum np... It's keeping a community for it. RB solo won't work.

[quote name='KasperVld']First post updated :)[/QUOTE]

I agree with Hotaru that adding an archive is a good alternative. I also agree that it shouldn't be temporary. There are a lot things there which can help other users (newbies) design better craft. I understand that the roleplaying caused a lot of arguments in the past which probably are considered stains on the KSP image. Those stains won't be undone, just by deleting the threads. Besides, there are a lot of amusing and even funny posts there. I.m.h.o. KSP, SQUAD and the community is better served by having that archive accessible somewhere.

By the way, aren't we ALL roleplaying in a way when playing KSP? Edited by Vanamonde

my opinion for the rocket builders thread going away well the part of me wants to hold on to it part of me want to throw it in the bin. but I had an idea that came out of that old thread would it be possible to make a companies thread on the new forums as a primary thread instead of a sub thread. that way people new people could see what was going on be more active, respond quicker, and may have less of a chance to role play. another way to put this is an example of the spaceship thread as a main roadway in a city AKA (PRIMARY-THREAD), and the rocket builders an old alley way AKA (SUBTHREAD). a lot of people who would want to break some to most of the laws would go into an alleyway than do it on a public street.

that was an analogy I was thinking about when I saw the rocket builders forum in its current state anyway...

hope the migration goes well and thank you for taking your time reading this,

Lego8_bit

[quote name='TheCardinal']By the way, aren't we ALL roleplaying in a way when playing KSP?[/QUOTE]

While playing? Yes. I even do it in my videos a bit. But on the fourm I'm me, talking to you. I'm not a CEO of a company or the director of a space program. I'm a guy sitting at a laptop typing into a form on a webpage.

They're not discouraging roleplay. They're saying they won't deal with it on the forum. And not because it's bad or RPers are bad or anything like that, but because it causes problems.

[quote name='Mad Rocket Scientist']However, I feel that having "employees" and "companies" does NOT mean role-playing, or, at the least, not enough role-playing that it creates arguments. [/QUOTE]

This, to me at least, seems like a really important point. Yes, technically it's role play, but technically pepper spray is made of the same stuff as Tabasco sauce (completely useless analogy I know, but the best I could think of.) I may be very wrong, but I think anyone would be very hard pressed to find an example of rocket builders style role play - which rarely even extends outside of the first post of the thread - causing a fight.

I don't really know the full story well enough to fully understand it, but this seems like a knee-jerk reaction against a problem that doesn't really exist.

[quote name='JPLRepo']So the old blogs will disappear altogether? I rather like going over some of the old dev blogs and toher modders blogs. Is there any way to save them except if I take a local copy?
[/QUOTE][quote name='KasperVld']Yes, they'll disappear. I guess the only way to keep them available to yourself is indeed to make a copy.[/QUOTE]I can see a "blogs" category on the IPS site; at the very least, it seems to me that Squad employee blog entries should be preserved - by some method. HarvesteR has written 21! These are good articles by which one can review the evolution of KSP over time, I've often dipped into them to help answer "Why is [this thing] about KSP done in [this way]?" type of questions.

[QUOTE=KasperVld;2306775
I've taken [URL="http://i.imgur.com/W73ty98.jpg"]this screenshot[/URL], which is only a [I]rough indication[/I] of what the new forums will look like. And ignore the missing avatars :)[/QUOTE]
I only just saw this thread... but I'm on the new forums?

[quote name='Red Iron Crown']AFAIK the wiki is already fixed, is there some functionality that is not working?[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]

It’s been awhile since I last tried the functions that were giving me problems, but the Wiki is still displaying the message:

[/FONT][/COLOR][B][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#000000]“This wiki is currently experiencing [/COLOR][URL="http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbal_Space_Program_Wiki:Migration_problems"][COLOR=#0000ff]migration problems[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#000000]. This is known and will be fixed at some point.”[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][FONT=Verdana][B]
[COLOR=#000000]
[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#000000]If it is fixed[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000], then the message should be taken down.[/COLOR][B][COLOR=#000000]
[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#000000]
The functions that were giving me problems were (1) couldn’t upload images, and (2) math text wouldn’t work.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='KasperVld']First post updated :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you guys so much for this. I'm really glad you guys are open to a change with enough support. That is a good compromise, and I'm sure it will be accepted by most.

Once again, thanks guys. You're the best! :D Edited by Vanamonde

[quote name='HerrGeneral']Will my subscribed threads be preserved? I have a ton of them bookmarked for my favorite mods and stuff, and if I'm gonna lose them I'd like to save the links beforehand so I don't have to find them again.[/QUOTE]
Subscriptions appear to migrate correctly.

[quote name='OhioBob'][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]

It’s been awhile since I last tried the functions that were giving me problems, but the Wiki is still displaying the message:

[/FONT][/COLOR][B][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#000000]“This wiki is currently experiencing [/COLOR][URL="http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbal_Space_Program_Wiki:Migration_problems"][COLOR=#0000ff]migration problems[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#000000]. This is known and will be fixed at some point.”[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][FONT=Verdana][B]
[COLOR=#000000]
[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#000000]If it is fixed[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000], then the message should be taken down.[/COLOR][B][COLOR=#000000]
[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#000000]
The functions that were giving me problems were (1) couldn’t upload images, and (2) math text wouldn’t work.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Images upload, I don't think math text ever worked, you had to generate an image and embed that. I'll ping one of the Wiki people next time I'm on IRC about the header text.

[quote name='Yemo']Everyone is free to resize their browser window to a width that suits them, no one is forced to have it full screen. Seriously give it a try with this very page. The text adjusts automatically. No one is forcing users at the moment to use the full width of their screen, but the new forum forces everyone not to use the full width of their screen...[/QUOTE]
That function is there because people use different resolutions. Microsoft conducted a study on how people operate on the desktop. The result was that almost all maximize the foreground window.

Not utilizing all of the width is a common thing to improve readbility. Just accept it.

I've caught up with the whole thread, finally, and the post I most wanted to spotlight and respond to was this one from zekes, back on page 22:

[quote name='zekes']Well, for some people it's roleplay. But personally I took it very seriously, I wasn't pretending to be a CEO, I acted like a CEO, Which involved lots of hours put in and decisions to be made. And some places like Kerbal Minds Corp are places that I see unbelievable amounts of community interaction.

Basically, we might be okay with closing RB. After all, some of it does occasionally fall into RP. But deleting it entirely? You're erasing history.[/QUOTE]

I sympathize, but consider this: to some people, the fact that you are so invested in this (ultimately) entirely fictional thing, that you take it so seriously, that you [i]don't[/i] consider it pretending but are treating it like it is real... [i]that[/i] is unhealthy, and potentially dangerous, and what they want to avoid.

KSP is a wonderful game, with a (mostly) great community - but it is not and should not be your life. It was never meant to be. If it is, then I say in all seriousness, [i]seek help[/i].