Forum Migration Nov 27th!

KasperVld

[quote name='zekes']I see that too, RB should die, it's been dying anyway. But to have it just deleted isn't right. Archived for progeny is really all I want.

But I realize i sound selfish and emotional over what some people don't even consider to be relevant. I'm sorry. I forget that when I release craft they see me more than my company. I guess I am delusional.[/QUOTE]
No, you're not. You posted content with an expectation that as long as you didn't break a rule no one would intentionally delete it. Maybe you or other users had some posts deleted by mods for RP or other violations; that's fair. But now someone has decided to change the standard after the fact and delete EVERYTHING. As someone who spends a lot of time creating content for other users here, that gives me pause. Close Rocket Builders, come down hard on future roleplaying for the sake of harmony and give the poor mods a break, YES. But to delete posts that did NOT violate community guidelines or forum rules at the time they were posted--that's unfair. Yes, it's SQUAD's site and they have every right to do what they want, but it is [I]not [/I]the right thing to do.

[quote name='Astrofox']Suddenly, I'm reminded of what happened with Kerbal Spaceport...[/QUOTE]

You mean taking a really horrible system and replacing it with something that, for all of its faults, is vastly superior? Then, inexplicably, having people start reminiscing about how SpacePort wasn't so bad (it was [I]really[/I] bad) and how they want it back before, eventually, just forgetting about it. :P

[quote name='CalculusWarrior']Will the new forums have any sort of markup language support, if it's doing away with BBCode? Or will it utilize exclusively a WYSIWYG editor?[/QUOTE]

One of the nice things about the IPS editor (and I made an account on the IPS forums just to test it out) is that you can take material formatted using something else and just copy/paste it into the editor window. So you can write something in Markdown, like from a GitHub readme or wiki (or a [URL="http://markdownlivepreview.com/"]Markdown preview site[/URL]), copy the final content (not the raw markdown text) and paste it into the editor window. It's not always ideal, and a built in Markdown parser would be nice, but when you have complex content it can sometimes be much simpler to create it in something a bit more reliable than a forum text editor, then just copy it over. That's how I generate all of my Curse mod descriptions, just copy/paste the content from the Kerbal Stuff description.

There's nothing stopping you setting up a Rocket Builders forum elsewhere, you know, or running Kerbal RPs somewhere that's able and willing to host and moderate such things. The SpaceBattles forum has both a substantial KSP fan contingent and a dedicated roleplay subforum, for example.

[quote name='ObsessedWithKSP']I agree with this, but not that implementation. Rather than put the limit on everyone, make it so users can set the limit - like 5thHorseman says, have an option to disable pictures if you don't want/need them. There's no sense in limiting everyone to a max image size or what-have-you. Imagine something like the AVP or KSPRC post with a max image size of 512x512 or 100kb :rolleyes: Half the point of those mods is beautification and you can't show that off in a tiny pic.

Let people post big pictures, just because someone can't or doesn't want to load them doesn't mean no-one else should.[/QUOTE]

Very good. I can agree with this. It allows people with various hardware and connectivity to choose their settings.

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='5thHorseman']The problem with limiting image size in any way is that - currently - the forum isn't directly involved in the image. It's just a link, that isn't even on the site usually. If you were to enforce an image size the forum would have to either check the image, or intervene to process the image and cache it. If you don't cache the image then the poster could just replace the "legal" image later with a larger one.

Granted that's not likely to be a huge problem or anything, but it'd still add a lot of overhead for the server for something that most people wouldn't even understand the desire for (I know I'm an edge case for this one).[/QUOTE]

I also see this point and it makes sense.

[quote name='Commander Zoom']If past evidence/incidents were not enough, several recent posts of people freaking out because OMG a piece of their LIFE is going away!!! indicates that yes, some people [i]do[/i] and [i]have[/i] over-invest(ed) in these activities. One well-known rocket builder has said that he doesn't view this as "pretend" - he's been fully immersed in the [b]role[/b] that he was [b]playing[/b], for a few hours a week over several years.[/QUOTE]

Well we better get rid of the whole game of KSP then, because I bet you a lot that people would start freaking out [I]a lot[/I] if they found that Squad announced that updates were going to stop, or (though there might not be any people left around at the end of it :P) if everyone found KSP gone and replaced with a refund.

And, well, it's not really pretend. He was playing a few hours a week over several years. That's a lot of real hours, so he probably got quite good at it, and spent a lot of time at it. If you flipped Gary Kasparov's chess table, he'd get pretty annoyed at you, even if you kept insisting that it was just a game and that chess didn't really matter.

(Different example, since Gary gets paid for it: the guy we're talking about has probably invested more time in rocket builders than I have on the novel I'm doing for NaNoWriMo. If you tampered with [FONT=Book Antiqua]the Neat 9[/FONT], I could get away with anything if I could assemble a jury of NaNoers, even though I'm doing it totally for fun with no intent of ever publishing.) Edited by Holo

What are people that are [i]constantly[/i] roleplaying going to have to do? I mean, am I banned too, for maintaining a fictional persona that I use to interact with [i]any[/i] online society? I'm neither Sean nor Mirrsen in actuality, I'm not a mildly helpful and (very) occasionally useful person - I'm normally a useless and callous neckbearded Russian fatguy who wouldn't save a kitten unless it happened to somehow be directly in his path to the nearest source of food or internet access. Forcing myself into a character is how I manage to [i]function[/i], and somehow that is a bannable offense here?

I have no relation to Rocket Builders, by the way. If you don't like them, fine by me. If you're callous enough to wipe out a chunk of your own history that does not suit your current preference like a third-rate tyrannical oligarchy of some kind, I suppose you're free to do that, it's not like anyone here has any power to stop you (that really tends to be the case, doesn't it?)

Err on the side of caution or no, the no-roleplay is too oppressive. If I can't post here as Sean Mirrsen, I guess I can't post here at all. >_>

[quote name='DMagic']One of the nice things about the IPS editor (and I made an account on the IPS forums just to test it out) is that you can take material formatted using something else and just copy/paste it into the editor window. So you can write something in Markdown, like from a GitHub readme or wiki (or a [URL="http://markdownlivepreview.com/"]Markdown preview site[/URL]), copy the final content (not the raw markdown text) and paste it into the editor window.[/QUOTE]

Or I could write something in bbcode on any of the other forums I visit, preview it, and then copy/paste that here ;)

(In spite of the ;) face that should actually work. And I could actually see doing it)

Clearly the thread needs more [SIZE=4]large text[/SIZE] and [COLOR="#FF0000"][B]red[/B][/COLOR]

I used IPS for a forum I own in the past, before they changed their pricing model, and it is a really well build and managed forum. And I remember a great admin UI and I did not find anything as good in the opensource world far.

[quote name='KasperVld']
[LIST]
[*]The critical addition of some Kerbal themed emoticons, and support for emojis
[/LIST]
[/QUOTE]
I hope this "support" you mention includes turning them off completely.

There's little about these forums that I find as annoying as how they break the flow of reading, mess with line spacing, and just look plain ugly.
I know I can switch them off for my posts , but that setting ("If selected, [noparse]:)[/noparse] will not be replaced with :)") is not remembered and I have to check that box every time I post, also it doesn't affect how other people's posts are displayed. On top of that, I have yet to see an "auto-emotify" function that doesn't regularly mangle text that isn't actually an emoticon, like source/config code etc.

I'm not too opposed to text smileys, but those stupid icons annoy the crap out of me. Burn them with fire.

As for the rest of the software migration, I've never been a big fan of vBulletin, [B][SIZE=1]EDIT:[/SIZE][/B][s]so I guess I'm fine with that[/s] but the new design looks like a horrible waste of screen estate. Maybe nice if you're browsing on an xPhone, but for those few who still use full-size screens this seems like a step in the wrong direction. Edited by Corax
seen the new design - yuck

Don't know whether this is already posted (or linked) here, but some views for people who just saw the warning :

[URL="https://www.invisionpower.com/services/migrate?platform=vb4"]Official list from IPS itself of what and what-not in the moves between vBulletin 4 and IPS B 4[/URL]

[URL="http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/"]Example of another older forum using IPB[/URL] (that forum is... like... really... old... and already gone through change, AFAIK.)

May the mods can handle everything ! Quite silly to [URL="https://www.invisionpower.com/services/migrate?platform=vb4"]look at some kind of changes[/URL] that states "Forum Moderators not preserved" :rolleyes:

[quote name='Corax']I hope this "support" you mention includes turning them off completely.

There's little about these forums that I find as annoying as how they break the flow of reading, mess with line spacing, and just look plain ugly.
I know I can switch them off for my posts , but that setting ("If selected, [noparse]:)[/noparse] will not be replaced with :)") is not remembered and I have to check that box every time I post, also it doesn't affect how other people's posts are displayed. On top of that, I have yet to see an "auto-emotify" function that doesn't regularly mangle text that isn't actually an emoticon, like source/config code etc.

I'm not too opposed to text smileys, but those stupid icons annoy the crap out of me. Burn them with fire.[/QUOTE]

I hope the Kerbal-themed emoticons includes stuff like the Funds, Reputation and Science icons from the game. I've had a few times trying to do more organized posts (eg. the first post on a thread for a mod) where it would've been nice to have easy access to those. If it's just the smileys, Kasper needs to take that off the "reasons to migrate list", since we kind of have that now. :P

Why do I get this huge feeling that activity in this forum is gonna drop drastically. I hope the devs realise that the majority of activity on this forum is in the Companies section.

Nonetheless well done Squad for screwing your fan base off for the fourth time.

[quote name='The_BlackArrow']I hope the devs realise that the majority of activity on this forum is in the Companies section.[/QUOTE]

That's... That's not true.

General discussion alone has twice as much viewers as the whole of the Spacecraft Exchange, and has more threads, and posts on those threads too.

General Discussion isn't the most visited sub-forum either; Gameplay Questions and Tutorials has even more activity than General Discussion.

Besides, there's nothing preventing Rocket Builders from migrating to the Spacecraft Exchange; just without the whole "company roleplaying" bit of it. People can still make cool crafts and share them, just not without the company roleplaying "...I contracted this and forwarded it to my CEO who said..." bit of it.

I think the forums will be just fine; the only thing that may turn the majority who hasn't interacted with Rocket Builders heavily away will probably be the new layout/UI, and only time can tell on that bit.

So, the Spacecraft Exchange will stay, it's just that companies will be removed.

So, could I start a personal company in the new forum? You know, just me as the head of everything (CEO, engineer, tester, etc.).