Forum Migration Nov 27th!

KasperVld

[quote name='Cosmocrat']Your rule isn't constructive and people have fun in RB. Your reason is bologna.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

EDIT: I also agree with SPAddict.

EDIT AGAIN: I have a new avatar, title, location and other stuff! Edited by CAKE99

Thank you SpaceplaneAddict :) you summed me and my situation well. Thank you.

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='CAKE99']I agree.

EDIT: I also agree with SPAddict.

EDIT AGAIN: I have a new avatar, title, location and other stuff![/QUOTE]

I approve of these changes!

Will be sad to see old stuff disappear like that when the rb subforum will be gone - spent qute some time along with others on the OKB-1 thread (Even if old, it's still a nice thread to showcase what was (and is) possible to do with the stock game)

And threads like this can't be represented by the first post either... The okb-1's discussions are the nice thing to it :)

[quote name='ZooNamedGames']Biggest issue is that it's several years of hard work being removed. What will most of the BIGGEST members of the community (and check that, I know at least 5 extremely highly repped members who started in the RB section) move onto? The RB carried a lot of their dedication and hard work. Great way to repay their dedication to the community.
[/QUOTE]

very true. We may not get out a lot but that's because we keep our noses to the grindstone to make good stuff for our friends and fans.

[quote name='Svm420']Honestly reading more of this thread I see now how some take it way [B]TOO[/B] seriously, and where that would create problems. WOW :confused:[/QUOTE]

Well, if you spent 2-4 hours a day every day for three years working on a company like I have, you wouldn't think it was too serious.

By the way, an extension to what I said.

Your argument of "The whole section goes against the rules" is really one of the weakest I've seen. Go through the forums yourselves, if your so inclined. Point me out three MAJOR arguments that occurred in one thread alone. We all know the main reason for forbidden RPing. Fights and arguements. But really, while, it was roleplay at a basic level, it was a treasure trove of knowledge, and happiness. Some people have probably made accounts for the Rocket Builders subforum alone.

All of of that will be gone, whether the thread had any fights in it or no. Is this not cruel? Heartless perhaps? I myself quite marvelled at the complex "businesses" people had made, and was truely inspired.

This will be gone, unless you believe in our ability to have a good community, in any forum.

-SPAddict
Thanks for listening to my rant again, if you did.

[quote name='SpaceplaneAddict']By the way, an extension to what I said.

Your argument of "The whole section goes against the rules" is really one of the weakest I've seen. Go through the forums yourselves, if your so inclined. Point me out three MAJOR arguments that occurred in one thread alone. We all know the main reason for forbidden RPing. Fights and arguements. But really, while, it was roleplay at a basic level, it was a treasure trove of knowledge, and happiness. Some people have probably made accounts for the Rocket Builders subforum alone.

All of of that will be gone, whether the thread had any fights in it or no. Is this not cruel? Heartless perhaps? I myself quite marvelled at the complex "businesses" people had made, and was truely inspired.

This will be gone, unless you believe in our ability to have a good community, in any forum.

-SPAddict
Thanks for listening to my rant again, if you did.[/QUOTE]

I did listen to it *applause*

[quote name='SpaceplaneAddict']By the way, an extension to what I said.

[/QUOTE]

Well, for some people it's roleplay. But personally I took it very seriously, I wasn't pretending to be a CEO, I acted like a CEO, Which involved lots of hours put in and decisions to be made. And some places like Kerbal Minds Corp are places that I see unbelievable amounts of community interaction.

Basically, we might be okay with closing RB. After all, some of it does occasionally fall into RP. But deleting it entirely? You're erasing history.

I think i saved you all guys! :D i created a independent forum for you all to use for the roleplay stuff.

[URL="http://rocketbuilderz.weebly.com/"]http://rocketbuilderz.weebly.com/[/URL]

Now let the exodus of desperate KSP companies begin! ;)

[quote name='daniel l.']I think i saved you all guys! :D i created a independent forum for you all to use for the roleplay stuff.

[URL]http://rocketbuilderz.weebly.com/[/URL]

Now let the exodus of desperate KSP companies begin! ;)[/QUOTE]

That's not the point, we can easily rebuild in Spaceplane hangar, the problem is they want to straight up delete our old work. All our past threads, gone.

[quote name='zekes']That's not the point, we can easily rebuild in Spaceplane hangar, the problem is they want to straight up delete our old work. All our past threads, gone.[/QUOTE]
why dont you ask the moderators to let you guys download your threads down to the last post in some sort of text format.

It's keeping the replies that are the problem.

A thread like this one was built upon the replies - simply copying the OP is nowhere near enough :)

(And the company RP argument can't be held against this one...)
[url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/34125-Rocket-Builders-OKB-1-Russian-Rocket-Design-Firm-and-Repository[/url]

A couple thoughts and a few questions:

I have never used the Rocket Builders forum. Any time I've been in there was by mistake. I have no feelings either way about it and no usable knowledge of it. I don't even understand its appeal. So, I will not comment on whether or not it should stay or go.

It seems there will only be a WYSIWYG editor? There was a hint buried about 10 pages back that maybe there would be markup, just not bbcode or html, but it was never elaborated on so I'm assuming it was just a comment, not a confirmation.

Will it be easier or harder to change a username after the switch? I've been teetering on the idea of changing mine, but if it's impossible come Friday I will probably just make the leap.

And finally to all: It is a hard lesson to learn that these forums are not yours. You don't pay for them. You don't host them. You don't moderate them. You use them. Just like your favorite restaurant can change its menu and take away your favorite dish and you have no recourse but to voice your disapproval, a forum can change its structure, removing parts that the owners and employees feel strongly enough need removing and you have no recourse but to voice your disapproval. Many have done this here, but when it all comes down to it that's all you can do.

Why flat design ? It's a generalized internet plague nowadays, and pretty much every website that updated itself to flat design did it at the expense of functionality. (Call it material design, it's the same thing). Google, WordPress, the whole Android OS, (that one hurt me), windows, it all degraded user experience IMO.
Just looks like pros < cons to me.

I've browsed a bit some of their forums and noticed it's not possible to see in the thread list "last reply by xxx" but rather only "last reply x minutes ago", or " 10replies". Wich i hope you guys will change because it's crazy useful to know who replied last.
It's cool that it will adapt to mobile though :) Edited by Hcube

[quote name='KasperVld']Rocket Builders is a place that actually breaks our community rules constantly, in particular the 'thou shallt not roleplay' rule. You're still welcome to offer the craft you make, or even take requests in the Spacecraft Exchange forum though, the only thing that will change is the 'company' part of it, with the employee/director/ceo roles and inter-company drama that comes with it.[/QUOTE]
I understand it, but why not just tell everyone in it to obey rules? The thing I love about RB is that you can have multiple people working on different things under the same name at the same time, sure, alot of people roleplay with it (including me, sorry!) but that can be stopped by just telling the people to stop roleplaying, it will be very awkward to make a substitute for all of this in the SE, so maybe you and the rest of the forum people could reconsider it?

[quote name='sgt_flyer']It's keeping the replies that are the problem.

A thread like this one was built upon the replies - simply copying the OP is nowhere near enough :)

(And the company RP argument can't be held against this one...)
[URL]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/34125-Rocket-Builders-OKB-1-Russian-Rocket-Design-Firm-and-Repository[/URL][/QUOTE]

Exactly, stuff like this thread would be so missed.

[quote name='*Aqua*']I also have a few questions:

1. Do we have to re-validate our accounts? Is there going to be a password reset?
2. Are different visual styles available? (I'd like to have a darker theme.)
3. Will C# syntax highlighting be supported? Also syntax highlighting for part configs and similar would be great. Especially the mod forums are cluttered with scripts and codes which are currently a pain to read.[/QUOTE]
1. No, accounts will transfer to the new forums, as will passwords and such (not that we can read them, they're stored in an encrypted fashion)
2. No, it's just the one theme for now.
3. I believe so and if not then we can look into adding it - that's actually a very useful suggestion :)

[quote name='mjl1966']Um, you know, the forums aren't broken. Do we really need to fix them? Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]
To you they may not appear broken, but in the background many things are in dire need of fixing or updating. Since vBulletin seems to be focussed on vBulletin 5 only (which is understandable) and that version of vBulletin didn't work for us and is [URL="http://news.softpedia.com/news/vbulletin-zero-day-used-to-hack-official-vbulletin-website-and-foxit-software-495620.shtml"]notorious for being insecure[/URL] we decided to update to IPS 4.

[quote name='Columbia']This is going to be a bad time for me.. I now am slowly regretting naming my account after the good ol' Space Shuttle orbiter.[/QUOTE]
People will have to consciously mention you, if it went just by word choice that would indeed be terrible. I also read someone was worried it would be abused to constantly mention developers: everyone can set the notification options as they please, so for example Dr Turkey or HarvesteR could disable these notifications because their job is not to go around the forum answering posts, but mine includes that so I'll keep them on. Just an example though.

[quote name='zekes']And if RB goes, so much of my Rep, Post count, etc. Is gone. Just gone. You will literally tear a hole out of me.[/QUOTE]
Reputation and posts counts will transfer regardless of the existence of the forum after the transfer. Given all the reactions here, I'll look to see if we can't temporarily keep the Rocket Builders forum available as an (invisible) archive with a link posting in the Spacecraft Exchange to soften the change a bit - but this is dependent on such functionality being available.

[quote name='Enceos']Please Gfycat support![/QUOTE]
That's definitely something we can look into.

[quote name='stibbons']Is there a suggested method for doing this? I was planning on dumping an entire thread in the "printable version" view, and possibly grab source for one or two of the more complicated posts. But that doesn't scale well. :)[/QUOTE]
Simply copy/pasting the posts including the formats (links, bold text etc..) and storing it either in a new thread not in Rocket Builders or even just in Word or another text editor would probably be the best way to go about it.

[quote name='5thHorseman']A couple thoughts and a few questions:

I have never used the Rocket Builders forum. Any time I've been in there was by mistake. I have no feelings either way about it and no usable knowledge of it. I don't even understand its appeal. So, I will not comment on whether or not it should stay or go.

It seems there will only be a WYSIWYG editor? There was a hint buried about 10 pages back that maybe there would be markup, just not bbcode or html, but it was never elaborated on so I'm assuming it was just a comment, not a confirmation.

Will it be easier or harder to change a username after the switch? I've been teetering on the idea of changing mine, but if it's impossible come Friday I will probably just make the leap.
[/QUOTE]
A username change will work in much the same way as it does now: you request it from the administrators in [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/122939-The-Name-Change-Thread-%28WARNING%21-ONE-TIME-ONLY%21%29"]this thread[/URL]. Although IPS does have the option to allow users to change their display name I feel it's best for continuity if people stay recognizable by their name. The markup support in the editor I'm not sure of, I'll have to dig deeper for information on that. Edited by Vanamonde

[quote name='KasperVld']
Reputation and posts counts will transfer regardless of the existence of the forum after the transfer. Given all the reactions here, I'll look to see if we can't temporarily keep the Rocket Builders forum available as an (invisible) archive with a link posting in the Spacecraft Exchange to soften the change a bit - but this is dependent on such functionality being available.
[/QUOTE]

Even just an archive would be allright. Or if we could pull a select few threads off and put them in Spacecraft exchange, like the craft compilation, SSI, KMC, Zokesia, and a few of the really old ones.

I'll be blunt - I don't like the new look but then again I never did like this modern 'white space and flat tiles' aesthetic. Call me a crusty old gamer if you like. Hopefully the new forum software will have a decent search function, which would be one very good reason for migrating in my opinion, despite the other problems already noted on this thread.

Regarding Rocket Builders. I never used it so can't really comment either way, but would it really be so hard to add it as an archived forum? It does seem very harsh to just delete it.

And on a final, personal, note, I do not like the decision to merge Live from Mission Control into Fanworks and respectfully request that this decision be reversed. Having a discrete sub forum for video gives the other fan works room to be recognised - I fear that merging the forums will mean that those other works simply become lost under a pile of video threads.

[quote name='KasperVld']Simply copy/pasting the posts including the formats (links, bold text etc..) and storing it either in a new thread not in Rocket Builders or even just in Word or another text editor would probably be the best way to go about it.[/QUOTE]

I don't have an RB thread. :) And was asking if there was a simpler way to do that for a large number of a posts, just in case. Was hoping for, say, a BB code export, but can make do with just saving the pages. Thanks.