Feeling the itch to return, any improvements in memory handling since 0.90?

SpacedInvader

So lately I've been feeling the itch to come back to KSP thanks to the announcement of 1.1 and the x64 support. That said, I know that isn't going to be a small update and it may take the team some time to get it up and running. I've been thinking about trying out 1.0.5 in the meantime, but lacking x64, I'm wondering if I'm just going to run into the same problem with memory I used to get with 0.90. I'll admit freely that I'm a mod addict and basically want the visuals, extra planets (maybe even RSS), and a whole slew of parts and utilities to make things interesting, but that always leads to my client running close to the edge of memory limits and forcing restarts at least every hour or two. Have there been any improvements to memory handling from 1.0 onward to help mitigate this problem?

Thanks

[quote name='FCISuperGuy']I run a similar amount of mods, and I haven't had any crashes since 1.0. Please come back... 1.0.5 is awesome![/QUOTE]

You are having better luck than me then. I run with roughly 35 mods (mostly plugins like KER, KAS and KIS.) I can't run many visual enhancements or I hit the memory limit within one or two flights and crash out, EVE is out of the question. With OpenGL I can use EVE and a few others also, but then I have a weird bug in the tracking station where nothing is in the right place and scrolling causes everything to move, but otherwise OpenGL runs smooth. If anyone knows a fix for that, I would be grateful.

So memory improvements? Not really unless running stock.

[quote name='metl']You are having better luck than me then. I run with roughly 35 mods (mostly plugins like KER, KAS and KIS.) I can't run many visual enhancements or I hit the memory limit within one or two flights and crash out, EVE is out of the question. With OpenGL I can use EVE and a few others also, but then I have a weird bug in the tracking station where nothing is in the right place and scrolling causes everything to move, but otherwise OpenGL runs smooth. If anyone knows a fix for that, I would be grateful.

So memory improvements? Not really unless running stock.[/QUOTE]

I run Active Texture Management. Really helps when running several memory-intensive mods. I don't use OpenGL and I don't plan to.

Hmm. I run 120 mods, including hi res Better Atmospheres, hi res Kerbin retexture. And tons of quality of life plugins (precision node, kac, rcs build aid, eex, editor filter extension, parts quick search, ker), and gameplay effects like. Tac life support, eva fuels, reaction wheels nerf, remote tec, kis, ctt, etc.
My first playthrough was with single parts mod - surface lights.
But now I've became part maniac.
Now my install has AIES, HGR, KW, OPT, SXT, Ven's stock revamp, Cacteye, Tarsier, mk4 spaceplanes, KAX, mk3 part expansion, mk3 parts expansion mini (with shuttle nose cone), USI derp pack, karibu, explorer pack, oblivion, procedural fairings everywhere, turbonisu, space station science, Dmagic sciense, universal stotage, interstellar, quiz tech, kax extension, B9 and something else i dont remember right now.
Also almost all of contacts packs available

Other than great loading time, and sometimes crash ( 20~30 % probability ) on start, the game runs rock solid for several hours. Around 19000 module manager patches :)

So, yes i can have all the toys to play with.
I have 16GB of RAM and use 64 bit "hack"
Win 8 x64 if it matters Edited by evileye.x

[quote name='evileye.x']Hmm. I run 120 mods, including hi res Better Atmospheres, hi res Kerbin retexture. And tons of quality of life plugins (precision node, kac, rcs build aid, eex, editor filter extension, parts quick search, ker), and gameplay effects like. Tac life support, eva fuels, reaction wheels nerf, remote tec, kis, ctt, etc.
My first playthrough was with single parts mod - surface lights.
But now I've became part maniac.
Now my install has AIES, HGR, KW, OPT, SXT, Ven's stock revamp, Cacteye, Tarsier, mk4 spaceplanes, KAX, mk3 part expansion, mk3 parts expansion mini (with shuttle nose cone), USI derp pack, karibu, explorer pack, oblivion, procedural fairings everywhere, turbonisu, space station science, Dmagic sciense, universal stotage, interstellar, quiz tech, kax extension, B9 and something else i dont remember right now.
Also almost all of contacts packs available

Other than great loading time, and sometimes crash ( 20~30 % probability ) on start, the game runs rock solid for several hours. Around 19000 module manager patches :)

So, yes i can have all the toys to play with.
I have 16GB of RAM and use 64 bit "hack"
Win 8 x64 if it matters[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that not only was said hack unstable, but most mod developers have disabled their mods for use there through MM...

[quote name='SpacedInvader']I've been thinking about trying out 1.0.5 in the meantime[/QUOTE]

You should, or you'll have no idea how to build and fly when 1.1 does come out.
[I]Everything[/I] has changed since 0.90, more or less, and while they'll be more changes for 1.1 it pays to practice.
[Things you won't be able to do using 0.90 techniques: build a plane, land anything from sub-orbital, get anything to orbit, re-enter an atmosphere, aerobrake, go interplanetary (and maybe even lunar). Essentially, anything atmospheric is completely different and vacuum engines have different stats]

[quote name='SpacedInvader']I was under the impression that not only was said hack unstable, but most mod developers have disabled their mods for use there through MM...[/QUOTE]

Not most mod developers, just few of them. KJR, FAR and some other.
However there's workaround [h=2]KSP x64 Total Unfixer[/h]Have not tried it yet.
Just remember not to ask mod authours for support under 64 bit and you're good to go.

The game is very playable and enjoyable. But yes, I'm waiting for 1.1 as alll of us :)

Well as many have said before me, it's leaking memory like a battered command pod leaks oxygen in orbit. The average uptime on OSX with a pretty minimal mod set (just FAR and the likes, no visual stuff) is maybe two hours.

But don't let that discourage you, the auto-save feature makes this a minor annoyance and nothing more. And I do hope it will become more stable in 1.1.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm typically running about 20 mods, including a couple of expensive ones like EVE, and KSP has only crashed a handful of times since I switched to OpenGL about six months ago. I don't know why some of us are lucky and others unlucky in that.

I love 8k textures but when i use them and some mods over them game just becomes a crash monster. Im just waiting for 1.1 so i can utilize my 32gb of ram and all the power out of my cpu to run the game with awesome graphics and tons of mods. Just a bit more brother our wait will be rewarded.

I've just gone to OpenGL and the memory savings are dramatic. Loaded a stock game with defaults (no command line switch) and >1500MB. The same game loaded with OpenGL was just over 1000MB. Using OpenGL however caused me to initially lose anti-aliasing which looked horrible but I was able to override that by setting the nVidia driver with specific KSP settings. Frame rate seems unchanged and image quality is great still.

1.0.5 still crashes like a drunk kerbal, just depend what mods you have going and how often you switch views. Can't wait for the release of 1.1, where hopefully they fixed the 64-bit memory issue and physics engine. Kraken en crashes are the main issues with KSP. Awesome to play none-the-less.

I run around 100 Mods, including Visual Mods, Plugins and Parts... KSP crashes 3-4 times during a 5 hour session... this is annoying, but hasn't made the game less fun for me :) still my most favorite game till now

Crashing is also a kind of scientific exploration for me... I have found 5 different kind of crashes yet... the "Crash-with-error-window", the "Crash-without-error-window, the "Eternal spinner", the "how-did-i-triggered-that?" and the "what-the-f-happend?"

On 22.11.2015, 00:42:53, Francois424 said:

It feels worse than before.

I used to be able to go in the 450 parts range before slowing down (ie: 1 sec takes 2.5 sec of real time).
Since then I have an upgraded computer and it starts slowing around 250 parts.

Really cant wait for 1.1

Exact same situation here

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.