[1.9.1] SLS Part Pack Basic Version - Small update: specular parts & preview of the new Main Core

Sobol

• 2 weeks later...

@lnchenxiyan Craft Files are located in the VAB folder, in the folder of the mod.

Recently I was able to do some work on the parts. The entire MainCore is ready. I changed already as all texture dds format and corrected some models. I was able to lessen the size of the mod from 511mb to 185mb. However, this is only the beginning because a lot of parts waiting for new models. I finished all the shiny parts and they look pretty good.

GpBt5ja.png

2 hours ago, Sobol said:

@lnchenxiyan Craft Files are located in the VAB folder, in the folder of the mod.

Recently I was able to do some work on the parts. The entire MainCore is ready. I changed already as all texture dds format and corrected some models. I was able to lessen the size of the mod from 511mb to 185mb. However, this is only the beginning because a lot of parts waiting for new models. I finished all the shiny parts and they look pretty good.

You are doing a great job! Keep reducing and improving models and texture space management, this mod is still too heavy for my GameData :( I really want to use it 

@Adam Kerman Unfortunately not. You can only download the entire modification. Maybe in the next update I will add this capability. If more people will be interested in a separate download for the ten parts.

Edited by Sobol

@Adam Kerman In version 1.1, everything worked very well. Version 1.2 has not yet tested. Check whether KJR compatible with your version of the game. 

My version is KJR 3.1.7 The update is ready at 40%. I still perform 38 models so please be a little patience.

Edited by Sobol

Fast review of many parts I found here:

On the whole, it has a good feelin in visual models (maybe a bit heavier on poli-count, but even my old laptop could handle it).

It has some issue to be corrected:

• ICPS upper tank has a too long collider: it clips to the orange slanted adapter-interstage, preventing separation...
  • ... and the very same interstage should have a more refined collider that follow a conic shape, rather than a serie of rectangular pieces crossed, to help avoid the clipping issue too.
  • Capsule+heatshield suffer of some drag cube misunderstanding by KSP: the "exploding issue on reentry" is a very well known issue in KSP, when a pod seems to generate "no drag" and it keeps falling above terminal velocity, overheating without control. I would suggest to test some "simpler" collider, or ask to help from other modders that found the same behaviour in their pod (Beale had the same issue with the Tantares Vostok pod... CobaltWolf with the BDB Gemini pod)
  • One of the solar panels turn the "edge" of them to the star, rather their flat surface... the other seems to not deploy...
  • The LES tower, mounted above the LES shield, clips internally on the pod and parachute cover, destroying the above mentioned parachute cover+docking port at separation. The issue could be simply corrected removing the collider from the tower below the attaching node, leaving the structure ring below it just a "visual model" that KSP does not consider solid.

Those are major issue that prevent to actually apreciate the pack, aside from keep the stack in the VAB as a ornament (or just using the rocket without the capsule, and in minor way the ICPS without the adapter-interstage)

Edited by Araym

@Sobol

I made some tests in 1.2 and I found some issues with premade crafts (stock size). Even with a careful rigid attachment and autostruts, some crafts will spontaneously explode on the pad 2 times on 3. If you want or if you need, I can make some more serious tests and provide exactly the source of the issues, logs and screens.

Btw, congratulations for this pack, the models looks really stunnings!

• 2 weeks later...