Beginners Part Modding Tutorial

• 5 weeks later...
On 03.05.2016 at 8:50 PM, Tarthur said:

I have changed "section" to 24, "height" to 0.8, and when I backslash the numbers from "top x radius" so I can input 0.1, the PC becomes unresponsive. Every other section is in the default state. No screenshots, because the PC becomes unresponsive, and I have to switch power off from my laptop to get it running again.

I had gotten this bug, too.

At my side it's critical to switch "Smooth View" button off, before adding new cylinder (any shape, I guess). (Right side of main toolbar)
When the view is usual, edges and faces, no problem. Something with rendering engine.

Another problem was with the Wings3d start. It runs but not visible (Windows 64x.)
This is solved by running a bat file:

C:\Soft\Mfx\Wings3d\bin\werl.exe -run wings start_halt -extra "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Wings 3D 2.0.1\Wings 3D 2.0.1.lnk"

Of course, one should replace file path(s) with his/her own.

Edited by kerbiloid

• 4 weeks later...

Pardon while I necro this post.

Thanks Beale for grabbing this off the old blogs and re-posting it. Now that I know where it is I'll be forwarding everyone over here who hints at getting into modding.

And yes, I still blame you!

5 hours ago, Fengist said:

Pardon while I necro this post.

Thanks Beale for grabbing this off the old blogs and re-posting it. Now that I know where it is I'll be forwarding everyone over here who hints at getting into modding.

And yes, I still blame you!

No problem :) 

I still need to update to Unity 5 (However Unity 4 works perfectly well).

• 1 month later...

I know this will take lots of time for you to make, but can you do a Blender Modding Tutorial? Also, can you make it on how to make a command pod? If you can't get to the command pod, then you can just do something simple like a basic rocket engine :)

8 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

I know this will take lots of time for you to make, but can you do a Blender Modding Tutorial? Also, can you make it on how to make a command pod? If you can't get to the command pod, then you can just do something simple like a basic rocket engine :)

Blender is very easy to learn and has tons and tons of tips, tricks and tutorials on the internet. I suggest you search for a beginners tutorial on Blender on either YouTube (video tutorial) or on Google (text and img tutorial). Once you have a basic understanding of how Blender works, it is as easy as going on Google and typing "how to ....... in Blender" and you will get dozens of pages showing you exactly what you need to do.

KSP does not require any specific 3D modeling skills in order to make part mods for the game. All you need to know is how to make basic shapes from cubes, cylinders, planes, etc, you can make pretty much any part for KSP. I mean, most parts in KSP are cylindrical in shape anyways. Spend a couple hours watching Blender tutorial videos and do a bit of reading and I promise you, you'll have your own 3D models in no time.

On 26/08/2016 at 9:40 PM, Murican_Jeb said:

I don't use Blender.

6 hours ago, Beale said:

I don't use Blender.

Oh. Welp thanks for the tutorial, I'm gonna see what this Wings 3D thing is like. It looks easier than Blender.

16 minutes ago, Murican_Jeb said:

Oh. Welp thanks for the tutorial, I'm gonna see what this Wings 3D thing is like. It looks easier than Blender.

Personally, I have tried not too long ago to learn Blender and found it a little difficult (but, not so bad).

Wings3D I have used for a few years now and I find it very simple to use.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2016 at 9:36 AM, Murican_Jeb said:

Also, do you know how to make a command pod?

When I search it up I have a lack of info.

Are you talking about model or config? If config I'd look at a stock pod and see what it's like there.

Also, anybody know the height of the stock fuel tanks? I'd like to make a 1.875m rocket pack but I don't know what heights to use.

39 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

snip- Also, anybody know the height of the stock fuel tanks? I'd like to make a 1.875m rocket pack but I don't know what heights to use.

Going off of the stock sizes, a 1.875m version of the FLT-200 fuel tank (or whatever the silly stock name for it is) would be 3.04 meters tall. The FLT-200 tank in its 1.25m diameter size is 2.027m meters tall.

If you import the KSP models into Blender, you need to remember that those are made in the "Blender size 1, size 2, size 3" system, meaning they are modeled in Blender units and not in metric. So If you modeled a "size 1" tank, you would need to scale it by 1.25, 1.25, 1.25 in the config file to make it appear 1.25 meters in the game.

EDIT- If you use Blender, I would suggest setting your units to "Metric" and just use "scale = 1" in the .cfg file and use "rescaleFactor" to resize it if needed.

Edited by liquidhype

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2016 at 7:08 AM, liquidhype said:

Did you give it a thrustTransform in Unity? Also seeing your config file for the engine would help.

yeah, I did, also, I had to reset that computer so and that computer's Internet won't work so I can't get KSP, Unity, and Wings3D back right now... My config file also got deleted most likely and if it didn't I couldn't show it. 

it might have something to do with the fact that the thrustTransform won't rotate correctly, I rotated 90o and the blue arrow wasn't pointing down.

2 hours ago, Axilourous said:

it might have something to do with the fact that the thrustTransform won't rotate correctly, I rotated 90o and the blue arrow wasn't pointing down.

I fell victim to this at first. in your unity window, when you have the thrustTransform selected ensure that the Global/Local button above the 3D View window is set to local, then change the orientation of your thrustTransform.

ok thanks i have to go to a place and i still have to figure out how to fix my computers internet, then download ksp, so I will try this when ksp, Unity, and Wings3D install, I have to do everything again, on top of that I still have school, I'm gonna be extremely busy...

Edited by Axilourous

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

ROTFL :D

Relatively speaking of course. It is a heck of a lot easier to learn Blender than most other 3D-modeling software. It took me less than a month to go from knowing absolutely nothing about 3D-modeling, to learning how to make complex animations and realistic high-fidelity models. If someone as technologically challenged as me can do that, then Blender is in fact very easy to learn.

3 hours ago, liquidhype said:

Relatively speaking of course. It is a heck of a lot easier to learn Blender than most other 3D-modeling software. It took me less than a month to go from knowing absolutely nothing about 3D-modeling, to learning how to make complex animations and realistic high-fidelity models. If someone as technologically challenged as me can do that, then Blender is in fact very easy to learn.

*shrug* From nothing to moderate proficiency in SketchUp in one evening.

From SketchUp moderate proficiency to beginner in Blender in a week.

Edit: Blender gets easier once you get a hang of the basics. Stuff like managing views, creating and removing vertices, edges and faces, managing UVs, rotating, scaling, extruding.

But even then it makes some simple operations unreasonably hard. Say, you've modelled something 'freehand', just 'sculpted' it. You want to scale your object, preserving aspect ratio, so that it's exactly 2.5m tall. How would you go about it?

Edited by Sharpy

6 hours ago, Sharpy said:

*shrug* From nothing to moderate proficiency in SketchUp in one evening.

From SketchUp moderate proficiency to beginner in Blender in a week.

Edit: Blender gets easier once you get a hang of the basics. Stuff like managing views, creating and removing vertices, edges and faces, managing UVs, rotating, scaling, extruding.

But even then it makes some simple operations unreasonably hard. Say, you've modelled something 'freehand', just 'sculpted' it. You want to scale your object, preserving aspect ratio, so that it's exactly 2.5m tall. How would you go about it?

Set your units to "metric" open your properties panel by pressing "N" and scaling the entire model until it is exactly 2.5m along the Z-axis and then apply the scale by pressing "Ctrl+A". It is unreasonably easy and should be one of the first things you learn how to do when learning Blender.

7hVGj5Y.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.