[PATCH][WIP 1.0.5][Beta Release] WAST Stock Realism Rebalances v0.3.1.22Y

Wavechaser

Stock configs had never been real, or even close if at all. Some people grab RO as they want more challenges, while some others had to stuck with what stock game has.

You may have changed some stuff here or there already, while you still want something that covers a wider spectrum of parts.

There you go. WAST Studio is proud to present you the Stock Realism Rebalances, or SRR for short.

It puts the difficulty between stock game and RO, and specs making as much senses as possible. For example, big turbofans with high bypass ratio are not supposed to work at full thrust at 1.5 Mach, nor should any turbofan go up to 3 Mach at all.

The table of contents is dead. Goto command doesn't exist anymore. RIP Table of Contents.

KSP%20v1.0.5-SUPPORTED-brightgreen.svg?s PLATFORMS-Windows%20%7C%20OS%20X%20%7C%2 CKAN-INDEXED-green.svg?style=flat-square STATUS-PRE--RELEASE-orange.svg?style=fla
Unofficial%20x64%20Builds-SUPPORTED-yell License-CC%20BY--NC--SA%204.0-yellow.svg

DOWNLOADS-1%2C000%2B-brightgreen.svg?sty

5IG0I74.png

Some pictures for dynamic Isp for jets! 

No pics no clicks. Below: RAPIER burning precooledLOX, thrust curve for S1 KD-25k SRB, and the turbo part for the jets

FEATURES 
Rebalances

• Reduced jets' specific impulses
  • Reduced most jets' operating speed
  • Reduced altitude of operations of jets
  • Increased some jets' thrust
  • Jets now will change their Isp according to their speeds! (NEW IN 0.2.2!)
  • Splitted JX-4 Turbo Ramjet into two different engine modules (turbofan and ramjet)
  • Reduced ion thruster's specific impulse
  • Many engines now have the capabilities of combusting LH2
  • Engine Precoolers now produces PrecooledLOX from intakeAir
  • Air breathing mode of the RAPIER engine uses PrecoooledLOX as oxidizer instead of intakeAir
  • The Mk2 Scramjet in OPT now uses LH2 as fuel, also oxygen-rich combustion will be available (not released yet, more testings to be done)
  • S1 KD-25k Kickback SRB now has a thrust curve relative to fuel level and a gimbal has been added
  • More to come

Parts

• Added a small SRB mimicking the IUS
  • Components of an active liquid-cooling cycle (not yet)
  • An Mk2 sized engine precooler (needs more testings)

Tweaks & Extras

• Added an Anti-Engine-Cannot-Be-Activated-While-Stowed Patch (shieldedCanActivate = true for all)

WIP FEATURES

• More LF-OX engine rebalances
  • Battery rebalances
  • Supports for mods

UPCOMING FEATURES (AKA ComingSoon™) 

• PB-NUK RTG now uses 238Pu properly
  • Patches for ALL B9 Aerospace engines
    • Mostly jet reconfigs, HX engines aren't going to be rebuilt for this time
  • Overhauled resources
  • Science labs now uses ScienceMaterials as a comsumable resource

PLANNED FEATURES

• Supports for mod parts
  • Possible career tweaks

DOWNLOADS
dzaq2CK.png

Secondary: GitHub

DEPENDENCIES

NOT DEPENDENT BUT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

COMPATIBILITY
Works under KSP v1.0.5

DOES NOT WORK WITH:
Realism Overhaul (why would you want this if you have RO?)

PROBABLY DOESN'T WORK WELL WITH:
HotRockets!
RealPlumes (including RP Stock Configs)
Because I've messed around with the FX a little bit, the next update will (maybe) included a modified HotRockets patch (partially done)

INSTALLATION
1. Hit a download button somewhere
2. Unzip
3. Dump the content into GameData folder like you always do (Do NOT replace Cryogenic Engines if you already have it)
4. ???
5. PROFIT!!!

Please, DO delete your previous SRR folder ( \KSP Root\GameData\WAST\ ) before updating. It's highly recommended to delete it manually, even though your machine will probably tell you if you want to replace it or not.

RECOMMENDED HARDWARE SETUP

Recommended:

• PC w/ Windows 7 x64 or higher
    • Intel Core i5 4210M (2C4T, BF 2.60GHz, Turbo Boost 3.20GHz - 3.10GHz)
    • Intel HD Graphics 4600 (20EU at 200MHz - 1350MHz, 1GB Shared), Preferrebly highter
    • 6GB DDR3-1333
    • 5400RPM SATA3 HDD

Or if you are a Mac user: (which, PCs are better. Fact, not opinion.)

• MacBook Pro Late 2013 w/ Retina Screen
    • Intel Core i5 4258U (2C4T, BF 2.40GHz, Turbo Boost 2.90GHz - 2.80GHz)
    • Intel Iris Graphics 5100 (40EU at 200MHz - 1200MHz, 1.7GB Shared)
    • 8GB DDR3-1600
    • Apple SSD

If you are able to run the stock game at a reasonable framerate, you should be fine with this

KNOWN ISSUES
If RealPlumes or HotRockets are installed, no FX are displayed for Whiplash and RAPIER (maybe Panther as well), but otherwise they function just fine

Please comment if you find any.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

• Q: Will this pack cause my computer to blow up?
  • A: No. (If this happens to you, first of all, sorry about that, secondly, you've got problems. Seriously.)

• Q: Do you support installations with the Community Windows x64 Workaround?
  • A: Yes. We. Do. As long as it's within our abilities, we will provide as much support as we do to the x86-32 stock builds.

• Q: How is this DIFFERENT from Realism Overhaul and its components?
  • A: This just gave you a basic (-ish) idea of how rockets work (mostly). I'm being very loose on mixture ratios, all LH2/LOX has 10:1, and all LF/OX has 9:11. The real world doesn't work like that, and that's the main different between SRR and Real Fuels. RO is also stricter on other parameters, like mass. Besides, SRR has mostly rocket-centered patches, while RO also supports more stuff, like thermals. In terms of AJE, it's more automatic (though frankly more buggy).

• Q: (some sort of bugs, instabilities and whatnot) happened! What the %$#@& is wrong with this!
  • A: Please refer back to the known issue section. This mod is still in heavy development phase, and as I've said above, use at your own risk. Nearly all pre-released stuff are buggy, and do expect that when using it. We're working hard to debug, though there are some beyond our ability or it takes longer to fix. Please, do backup your install before using this mod.

• Q: My jet is not working in (some conditions)
  • A: If your craft is built and flown correctly, then I'll say it probably shouldn't work that way. No turbofan or turbojet engines are supposed to work at 3 Mach. Don't talk to me about SR-71. That thing goes to afterburner-ramjet mode after Mach 3, and its fuel flow into the turbine starts to decrease around Mach 2.8.

• Q: My plane went too fast and exploded!
  • A: Too bad. If you have the Whiplash engine, well, that's how ramjets are. Live with it. It is a little bit overpowered considering its wide range of operation. I may or may not change that in the future.

• Q: Will you add (this and that)
  • A: Probably not. But feel free to comment if you find something you want and it's not in the WIP Features list. We may add it to that if it's good.

CONTRIBUTORS
Wavechaser (Project lead)

SPECIAL THANKS 
NathanKell (A loooooooooot of help and goodies)
AkanoLoki (Researches on info of some KSP parts' realworld counterparts)

This product has not been tested on animals, including humans.

CHANGELOG  

This will be in the spoiler until somehow I can ever make it take a reasonable amount space instead of being a ginormous block

v0.3.1.22Y
Dev Preview, Latest Version
	- Readjusted a lot of stock jets
	- Added full KW support and some B9 Engine support
	- Cuts all fuel tanks (except for jet tanks as I don't quite want to break your planes) mass to 50%
	- Added minThrust limit to most of all engines (pretty sure it's this release)
	- Cut back all stock reaction wheels (including those in command modules)
	- Made all command modules (manned or not) consume a good amount of E/c
	- Made solar panels somewhat more powerful, and batteries a lot more capaci-tious
	- The RTG now consumes 238Pu as fuel
	- Other minor fixes

v0.2.2.20X
Not released
	- a bunch of debugging
	- still fighting with some patches not loaded/not working issue
	- rebalanced all electrical components
	- rebalanced all reaction wheels/SAS/ASAS parts
	- rebalanced all command pods and probe cores
	- added KW support
		- all liquid fuelled engines are configured against their realworld conterparts if any
		- lowered heatProduction for all
		- all SRBs recieved a ETC thrust curve
	- added B9 support (partial)
	- small rebalances that I can't remember

v0.2.2.19Y
Dev Preview
	- added velCurveIsp to all jets, now their Isp changes according to speed
	- added a HotRockets config for S1 KD25k Kickback SRB
	- adjusted Whiplash's velCurve for Turbojet mode
	- attempted to simulate cryogenic fuels' loss due to evaporation, disabled by default
	- (not in release) attempted to make a liquid-cooled cycle
	- added an Anti-Engine-Cannot-Be-Activated-While-Stowed patch
	- overhauled code

v0.2.1.15X
Not released
	- added HotRockets FX for S1 KD25k Kickback SRB
	- tweaked HotRockets FX for stock engines
	- added a module to simulate loss of LH2 due to evaporation
	- PB-NUK RTG now actually uses 238Pu

v0.2.0.13Y
Dev Preview
	- finished patching ALL stock engines (yay)
	- tweaked KR-1x2 to RS-68A engines (mostly Isp and mass)
	- reorganizations of directories

v0.2.0.12Y
Dev Preview
	- tweaked KR-1x2, KR-2L+, and KS-25x4 engines. They now all burn LH2/OX as well
	- realigned KS-25x4 with KS-25 Vector engine, so they share the same characteristics
	- tweaked O-10 Puff
	- (finally) rebalanced Whiplash's ramjet engine velCurve
	- added Readme.txt
	- added License.txt

v0.1.2.11X
Not released
	- added gimbal and Engine Thrust Control modules to S1 KD-25k Kickback SRB
	- tweaked S3 KS-25 Vector engine, it now burns LH2/OX
	- tweaked RE-I5 Skipper engine, it now burns LH2/LOX as well
	- tweaks on Poodle, Thud, Mainsail, LV T-45 Swivel, LV T-30 Reliant

v0.1.2.10X
Not released
	- fixed RAPIER's vastly-overpowered-ness
	- general overhaul according to NathanKell's suggestions
	- Wheesley's thrust decreased from 150kN to 100kN max
	- increased Wheesley's heat production to 150% stock
	- cutbacks on Goliath's thrust and increased its mass
	- small tweaks on Whiplash, major overhaul WIP
	- tweaked LV-N's Isp to 380s - 825s (ASL-vac)

v0.1.0.08Y
Dev Preview
	- Initial release as a dev preview

Our versioning scheme:

Spoiler

Our versioning scheme: major.minor.patch.build-suffix.
Suffixes:
B: Beta
RC: Release Candidate
X: Experimental build, usually not released
Y: Evaluational build, usually released as a Developmental Preview
Suffixes will take the last digit of the three-digit build number, regardless how many characters the suffix has.

License: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 International
88x31.png
Module Manager is released and redistributed under CC BY-SA 4.0 license. Original author is ialdabaoth, currently maintained by Sarbian.
Interstellar Fuel Switch is released and redistributed under CC BY-NC 4.0 license. Original author is FreeThinker.
Cryogenic Engines is released and redistributed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license. Original author is Nertea.
Engine Thrust Control v2 does not have a license. Original author is HoneyFox.

Other legal stuff: This mod is provided "as is", and we are not responsible in any way for any damages caused by using of this mod. If you don't feel like it, you can totally not download this mod and pretend you've never been here. By downloading and using this mod, you have agreed to that you are fully responsible for any damages caused by it. This mod could potentially break your system if KSP glitches out really really wildly, although it is not supposed to happen and it has never happened according to our knowledge. You can and you are encouraged to backup your current KSP installation in case of any damages to the saves and current mods you have ever occurs. I mean, backing up your KSP is a good idea anyway as Kraken can come any time. Warranties of any kind are not provided.

POWERED%20BY-Windows%208.1-blue.svg?styl

Edited by Wavechaser
Edited for v0.3.1.22Y release

[quote name='NathanKell']Uh...you seem to have made the jets _less_ realistic? :][/QUOTE]

How...

The Panther was rebuilt against F-119, and the Goliath engine is mostly aligned with GEnx. Though I got to admit that Whiplash's ramjet mode is vastly overpowered. I might need to play around that one a bit more.

Yeah, was looking at the Whiplash in particular since the other (well, non-RAPIER) jets are already real in 1.0x, they just have only .65-.75x the mass-per-thrust of their real counterpart, and 2x the Isp (although in real life Isp varies by velocity as well, so...). But I noticed you were giving some crazy-high increases in thrust at altitude, which don't comport at all with my research.

For the record: the Juno is a J85 (upsized to produce 20kN not 13-14kN), the Panther is an F404 (although upsized to F100 size thrust), the Wheesley is a JT8D-219 (slightly upthrusted, again), the Goliath is a CF6 (ditto).
The Whiplash is inspired by a J58 although a lot of guesswork is involved, and the RAPIER moreso.
Feel free to crosscheck in AJE or something. :)

[quote name='NathanKell']Yeah, was looking at the Whiplash in particular since the other (well, non-RAPIER) jets are already real in 1.0x, they just have only .65-.75x the mass-per-thrust of their real counterpart, and 2x the Isp (although in real life Isp varies by velocity as well, so...). But I noticed you were giving some crazy-high increases in thrust at altitude, which don't comport at all with my research.

For the record: the Juno is a J85 (upsized to produce 20kN not 13-14kN), the Panther is an F404 (although upsized to F100 size thrust), the Wheesley is a JT8D-219 (slightly upthrusted, again), the Goliath is a CF6 (ditto).
The Whiplash is inspired by a J58 although a lot of guesswork is involved, and the RAPIER moreso.
Feel free to crosscheck in AJE or something. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info :)

v0.2.0.12Y update:
- rebalanced Whiplash's vastly overpowered ramjet mode
- finished patching all liquid fuelled engines and S1 KR-25k Kickback SRB
- some engines now burn LH2/LOX
- rebalanced RAPIER Engine and its precooler Edited by Wavechaser

[QUOTE]
[B]Q:[/B] Do you support installations with the [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117224"]Community Windows x64 Workaround[/URL]?
A: Yes. We. Do. As long as it's within our ability, we will provide as much support as we do to the x86-32 stock builds.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes. I'm liking this already.

You're making some real good progress on this! Good job man!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Enceos said:

@Wavechaser Is SRBThrustControl module stock nowadays? I didn't find any plugins in the archive, OP says ThrottleController is included...

As far as I know of, I didn't find anything similar to Engine Thrust Controller in the stock game though. 

I'll look around and see if anything pops out.

1 minute ago, Wavechaser said:

As far as I know of, I didn't find anything similar to Engine Thrust Controller in the stock game though. 

I'll look around and see if anything pops out.

I haven't tested, but does this mean that SRB thrust curves are not working currently without EngineThrustController installed?

1 minute ago, Enceos said:

I haven't tested, but does this mean that SRB thrust curves are not working currently without EngineThrustController installed?

Yes, without ETC, all SRBs will act like as if they don't have a curve.

I was looking everywhere on the forums and on interntet for the original EngineThrustController mod, cause its Github repo only has uncompiled cs project files and Kerbalstuff is long dead.

Finally found it in the Odyssey Project repo by Bob Fitch, if anyone's looking for the mod here's the link:

Engine Thrust Controller:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb51rhkgdz814nl/Engine%20Thrust%20Controll%20V2.zip

Edited by Enceos

20 hours ago, Enceos said:

I was looking everywhere on the forums and on interntet for the original EngineThrustController mod, cause its Github repo only has uncompiled cs project files and Kerbalstuff is long dead.

Finally found it in the Odyssey Project repo by Bob Fitch, if anyone's looking for the mod here's the link:

Engine Thrust Controller:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb51rhkgdz814nl/Engine%20Thrust%20Controll%20V2.zip

The plugin has already been included in this pack.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.