Is using F12 (aerodynamic forces overlay) considered as cheating?

EditorRUS

It'd only be cheating if you were participating in a challenge that said specifically not to use the F12 overlay. Like others say, it's a single player game. Otherwise, it's purely an informative tool the game provides, far less of an aid to flying than say KER or Mechjeb, so as such it's not really even in the same category as the game-changing tweaks available in the Alt+F12 menu, so IMO there's much less grounds to consider it cheating than those things. In fact, you could say it's an important feature standing in for the lack of wind tunnel testing and computer simulation in KSP.

[quote name='Overland']Its not cheating... But it is harrassment and discrimination..

See the way I see it.. KSP is a steam game mostly...one of the best selling ones... So whoever thought it would be awesome to have ugly blue and red lines grow from your spaceship when you just want to take a steam linked screenshot...I think had thier head screwed on backwards that day..

Yes it can be changed but its an affliction effecting many less savy of the PC master race..Perhaps itlll appear when you press...up... On the xbox edition :)

Furthermore.. The ugly yellow text that then without any grace.. Applys itself to said screenshot turning beautiful vistas of trees..trains and mountains into a questionably titled captions.. In my case that trains wont fly willingly nor safely while blue and orange triangles dance around the wheelsets seemingly taunting my poor locomotive that galaxy railways she is not... Saddens me greatly

Is it cheating? Well if I wanted to ruin a beautiful screenshot with inapproprate text... I would simply create a meme :)

Indeed...perhaps it is one..
Im waiting for the day that the internet is filled with memes..each scribbled with blue yellow and red lines...covered with "aerodynamic forces" display text

But...for willingly diagnosing aircraft suitability.. Nope not cheating and why does it matter? ;)[/QUOTE]
[URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/130759-1-0-4-ScreenMessageHider-Hides-screen-messages-when-F2-is-pressed"]There's a mod for that.[/URL]
[quote name='r4pt0r']Speak for yourself.

100% stock, clean game for me. And it shall remain unsullied.[/QUOTE]
WHAT!? Everyone knows that only stock games are unclean! Clean games are RO IVA-only. ;)

[quote name='Choctofliatrio']Oh man... ruining screenshots.. happened to me far to many times. Eventually I just bound aero forces to F1 or something, free to screenshot in peace.[/QUOTE]

Ironically that's the built-in screenshot button. So instead of having screenshots with the overlay in steam, you'll just get screenshots with the overlay in the KSP folder :D

Personally: F1 for screenshots (so I can use [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107663-1-0-x-Magico13-s-Modlets-%28Field-Experience-Sensible-Screenshot-etc-%29"]Sensible Screenshot[/URL]), Steam's screenshot thing disabled, and I don't use F12 but wouldn't even consider it cheating in multiplayer.

Personally I don't use it, but if your rocket disintegrated in flight, engineers would be pouring over the video and telemetry data, calculating the aerodynamic forces on the craft to see what went wrong. That is, if they weren't Kerbals. Kerbal engineers probably wouldn't have even seen what happened because they were too busy eating a sandwich. ;)

Seriously, though, you aren't gaining an unfair advantage by running it. The challenge of building and flying the rocket is unaltered.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.