Co-XX Capital Ship Series

Well as blogs are getting nuked I guess its time to repost these ships on here. Note that many of these ships are from as early as 0.18 and so may not work as well in the current version as KSP. I plan to go through and update them to the latest version over the next few weeks.

The Co-XX series is a line of mothership designs dating back to the days of 0.18, built specifically to ferry crew and cargo around the Kerbin system. Though the series started off as warships, more recent designs have a much more general focus. The inspiration for these ships came from Donlokiman's XC-305.

Co-145
The Co-145 has sat on the shelf since the release of making history, and I eventually ended up losing the craft file. I managed to rebuild it from a single screenshot, and so far it seems to work pretty well. I went back to basics with its design, so it is a bit smaller and lighter than previous models, with less cargo ports and dV.

It still makes a brilliant freighter for cargo runs to the Mun or closer planets however, and looks damn good the entire time!

Download: http://bit.ly/2NlcPH7

iFHigMA.png

Co-130
The Co-130 was an attempt at working in a slightly different style in order to change things up a bit. Unlike previous models, I decided to use vectors rather than LV-Ns due to the nerfs on those engines, and the result is much better performance within the requirements. The rear of the ship has a cargo bay, capable of storing a smaller shuttle, while various other docking ports are scattered around for external cargo.

Its extremely high TWR means that it can land on most celestial bodies (including Kerbin). However, there is no guarantee it can return to orbit again.

Download: http://bit.ly/2IS0qq3

VRoNXFh.png

Co-122
A new ship for a new version of KSP, the Co-122 was very similar to its predecessors, while also acting as a test-bed for wings on a mother-ship to improve aerobraking qualities.

The ship has numerous docking point of various sizes allowing multiple configurations for whatever the mission requires, though their positioning is not as open as previos models to payload shapes may be more limited.

With only 230 parts it is easy on the CPU and avoids lagging the frame rate of almost all PCs.

Download: http://bit.ly/2EX3LQO

13ZTMot.png

(Braking into Duna orbit with a lander and additional living space pods.)

Co-113
The Co-113 was my first attempt at a completely clean slate design in a while. I was surprised with how well it worked from the get go and only required a single test flight before i was satisfied with its performance. Since then the Co-113 has formed the basis of my interplanetary fleet and allowed bases on both Duna and Laythe, with exploration trips even further afield.

The ship has numerous docking point of various sizes allowing multiple configurations for whatever the mission requires, whether it is pushing 200 tons of payload into Munar orbit, or taking a small crew to explore the joolian system with extra drop tanks to push its range. 

At only 250 parts it will run well on most computers while the balanced CoM and high TWR make it an easy ship for even a beginner to use.

Download: http://bit.ly/2a6glB9

BUsbaww.png

Co-102
The Co-102 is essentially an improved and modernised Co-23, which was itself heavily based on the XC-305. Due to using only liquid fuel I've been able to remove a couple of the LV-Ns and some of the weapon mounts have also been removed to improve the shape. The result is a warship that is only 180 parts!
As is tradition the TWR is very good at 0.5 though the LV-N nerfs have reduced the dV to under 5Km/s.
I've added docking points for both probes and 1.25m payloads allowing the Co-102 to act as a hauling ship or freighter is military isn't your thing. In the craft file these spots are occupied by a couple of fighters though these can easily be removed and things such as drop-tanks or rovers added.
Download: http://bit.ly/2nZdQ7M

tTyU4L0.png

Co-24A
The Co-24 is an up armoured Co-23 designed specially for the Naval battle club. I decided to use spaced armour which had suddenly become popular and it allows it to survive pretty heavy damage. There are still weak spots however which have been known and exploited however.
The front end of the Co-24, while still looking almost the same, now houses a SRB firing tube. This provides much needed firepower which has been lacking in previous models. 0.625 guided rockets are mounted on the side for longer range engagements.
Though the acceleration and dV are not as great as some earlier models, they are still much higher than most equivalent ships as is known for this series. I addition to that the part count is lower than most similarly sized and armoured ships.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ub67fdmrby...tte.craft?dl=0

lbM29CA.png

Co-23A
As the military environment in the Kerbin system has cooled off a bit, I decided to focus more on aesthetics than armour for the Co-23. I closely studied the XC-305 for inspiration while still keeping aspects of my own building style involved as well. The ship is propelled by 8 Nervas and a pair of aerospikes giving it the impressive acceleration that is known across the Co-XX series and along with several reaction wheels offers impressive manoeuvrability compared to similar sized ships. Weaponry consists of 12 Hornet-III missiles for defence which work in concert with the advanced scanning and comms arrays to offer impressive beyond visual range capabilities. Docking ports mounted on the side of the ship allow the ferrying of items such as fuel, small fighters, Kethane drill or science packages across the system.
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1l0npem2p8e96v9/Co-23A.craft

wCiDPAI.png

Co-22
The Co-22 is an upsized version of the earlier Co-21. Its was designed for the battle club and so features several small improvements over its predecessor. Landing gear are also featured in case you are insane enough to try putting the thing down on Minmus. The main gun is magazine fed, providing more shots at the expense of stopping power. Its massive size means that it can barely be called a corvette any more.
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1ih5ecnlh...22A.craft?dl=0

8ok4DDm.png

Co-21
The Co-21 was the first ship to be labelled as part of a new designation system, with the model number matching KSPs version number. This new ship was a revolution in combat capability compared to its predecessors featuring a high impact spine, MK-3 armour, forward mounted weaponry and a boost system. Metal armouring was once again used despite not looking so nice as by this point combat ships were being manufactured by many companies and individuals and their capabilities were improving rapidly.
The C variant was an experimental VTOL corvette to deliver supplies directly to the surface of small planetary bodies and could provide local fire support for ground forces. However the base design of the Co-XX series has proved very poor for VTOL conversions due to the weight distribution and development was cancelled early on.
The Co-21D is the current front line ship of KIDA and the most recently developed of the series. The armour was further upgrades and the cargo bay removed to make room for more weaponry. The Co-21D is still very viable in current combat situations but newer ships such as the Drek have started to supplant it for front line roles.
The Co-21E only briefly existed before my PC had to be wiped and all Data was lost on the vessel. It was equipped with a Kinetic cannon which provided impressive hitting power and the ammunition could be stored in a compact magazine. The last picture is of the Gn-21B which was the first of my ships equipped with such a weapon.
The Co-21G is an aesthetic upgrade mainly although the mainsails have been replaced by LFBs with massively improve the TWR while in boost mode. Landing gear have also been added though I don't advise you try it...
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4fq9sbonax2udt/Co-21G.craft

wbQ9jzt.jpg

YlJgOcm.png

Co-10E
After the disappointing performance and cancellation of the Co-9, I went back and decided to use the Co-8 as the basis for a new Corvette. The engine block and the bridge were completely redesigned while improved armour was added to the vital areas of the ship to increase survivability. An abort system was also added to get the crew to safety in the event of the ships destruction. However by this point forward facing weaponry and plate armour was becoming much more common and once again the Co-XX series was no longer the favoured ship series. Zokesia also started large scale manufacturing of warships and quickly took the lead in their development.
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6izlc3io6w3bmlj/Co-10E.craft

jusDZAW.png

Co-8B/C
As more people got into warship building, many designs arrived which were very nice looking and the Co-XX series was rapidly becoming outstripped by newer competition. The answer to this was the Co-8, providing much smoother looking wing armour and a cargo bay for freight hauling, the Co-8 could move quickly around the system and deliver payloads in style. The downside to being nicer looking was the white panels provided almost no protection from enemy weaponry and so the Co-8 was more popular with private businessmen than true military forces. The C variant provided slightly more armour and a stronger bridge. The Co-8 was one of the first ships to build off a central spine to greatly improve shock absorbance.
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pi2e461fht...%20Co-8B.craft
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ankl5ppzpyyxhte/Co-10D.craft

UG8A2jY.jpg

Co-6A
The Co-6A was significantly larger than earlier models and featured heaver armour and a larger engine block. It was the first ship capable of a Laythe trip (In my hands anyway) so extended KIDI's reach out to the Jool system. The armouring system was still MK-2 and so only provided protection from light weaponry. It was also one of the uglier ships I've produced and was generally poorly received by buyers in comparison to the competition which was arriving. :P

xwI3kll.png

Co-4A
The Co-4A was essentially a rebuild of the previous successful ship and the armouring and shape was changed to look a lot nicer. As military ship building was still not common it also had very basic features that would not survive the coming arms race. The craft file was lost at some point so I can't remember may details. :(

I18DTVv.png

Co-1A
The Co-1A was my first serious attempt at building a fighting ship and one of the first ships posted on KIDI before the Great Derp. Though advanced for its time its lacks any modern military features and has no forward facing weapon parts so each missile has to be manually guided.
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7uvts6nwhlen3dc/Co-1A.craft

ESURJIc.png

Edited by Frozen_Heart

[quote name='Tada']Sometimes it seems, that days of these great capital ships are gone... :)

I liked to use Co-XX as practice targets for my XC-305 and other ships I used for Project BABYLON :)[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed playing through Babylon and Derelict. :) Pity the ships involved don't really work anymore.

[quote name='Spartwo']I still think we should remake it.[/QUOTE]

Me too... And I have a plan! ;)

I just need few days to put my thougts together ;) Now with resources, road is open to do it once again and properly :)

Plus I´m putting together specs. for the ultimate interplanetary ship ever built.

[quote name='Tada']Me too... And I have a plan! ;)

I just need few days to put my thougts together ;) Now with resources, road is open to do it once again and properly :)

Plus I´m putting together specs. for the ultimate interplanetary ship ever built.[/QUOTE]

I could offer to redo the XC-305 with giving it liquid fuel rather than LFO. That should increase the dV again to near what it was.

[quote name='zekes']Is this back?[/QUOTE]

I'd stored it in blogs for a long time. As the are getting removed I'm just moving it here. I can't really see any new ones coming as I'm out of ideas. Motherships can't do much more than push stuff places.

I might switch this post round when I have the time. Move the most recent craft to the top. Atm people are seeing an ancient craft made by a complete beginner when they click on the thread. Edited by Frozen_Heart

XC-305 was actually phasimg out in the end of project Babylon to XC-701B.

XF-100, the small one was also one of my favorites, pretty capable craft, it only lacked wast amounts of Dv, I remember that XC-305 had around 10.000m/s2? Which seems ridiculous :-D

Well, my vision of battle ship/mother ship of future is "versatility and modularity". All these crafts as great as they were/are had mostly just small docking ports to accomodate various missiles and torpedoes (but once I carried 2 small Sparrow shuttles form Zombiphylax docked to side ports of xc-305 or 701B). One great contruction point of xc series and its descendants was that the spine of the ship was made from girders strutted together, which made it quite stiff. I imageine future ultimate battleship/mothership as sort skeleton at its basic form. Just engines in the back, fuel going forward around spine made of girders, power generation (RTGs are too expensive in career mode, solar panels inefective in far way systems, so propably 1 rtg as backup, some 2 large panels and large power cell), massive torque (to compensate for carrying assymetric cargo loads), radiators. Keep it simple, keep it tidy, keeping parts count down, making it easy to refil fuel tanks - yeah finding and clicking fuel tanks under armor was always annoying with some ships.

So basicaly you would have this bare skeleton of a ship which would be quite light and easy to get into orbit and then modules to set it for particular mission profiles... Refinery module and mining lander, missile pods, science lab module, proprieatary SSTOs shuttles, dropship landers, hab modules for surface... I quite like Zekes "base in box". Some features are quite close to philosphy i would like to incorporate.

Armor, althou it looks auite impressive and quite nice, it has rarely any practical use so I just wouldn't put it there. Radical? Maybe...

So what you guys say about my vision? :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Being a huge nerd, I just calculated the kinetic impact energies of the weapons for the Co-102 (Flea SRB missiles and the I-beam/Sepratron missiles).

Assuming straight, continuous-burn flight with all fuel expended before impact:

Flea SRB missiles: 827.8 MJ, equivalent to 197.85 kg of TNT in a shaped-charge contact explosion

M-Beam 200 Pocket plus 4x Sepratrons: 131.5 MJ, equivalent to 31.43 kg of TNT in a shaped-charge contact explosion.

And now you know!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to say something, I liked the CO-102A better than the CO-102B, and the only problem i found was the gaping hole by the fighter docking area, so I just covered that up and modified the fighter to lokk cooler and carry guns (as in missiles). I think you could make the updated craft like the CO-102A, but with some modifications: using the new mk.1 crew things and replacing that ancient Hitchhicker crew bank with fuel, as well as more armor around it, but also, the idea of SRB missiles in replacement of the puny ones is ok, but having guided puny ones under and above th giant SRB would be better (but SRB missile have been problematic since 1.0.5, so you decide)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 5:04 AM, Ogcorp CEO said:

I'd like to say something, I liked the CO-102A better than the CO-102B, and the only problem i found was the gaping hole by the fighter docking area, so I just covered that up and modified the fighter to lokk cooler and carry guns (as in missiles). I think you could make the updated craft like the CO-102A, but with some modifications: using the new mk.1 crew things and replacing that ancient Hitchhicker crew bank with fuel, as well as more armor around it, but also, the idea of SRB missiles in replacement of the puny ones is ok, but having guided puny ones under and above th giant SRB would be better (but SRB missile have been problematic since 1.0.5, so you decide)

I'm actually using the Co-102E atm I think. I just haven't had the time to upload any new craft for a long time. I've made a few modifications to make it function much better as a mothership rather than as a pure combat ship. Redone the back end as well to make it look much sleeker than before and due to having to move the antennae down to make room for a front docking port it has a distinctive 'chin'.

Pic pending as imgur is broken right now. :( Won't let me log in.

407Z1RQ.png

Edited by Frozen_Heart

On 1/9/2016 at 5:48 PM, Frozen_Heart said:

I'm actually using the Co-102E atm I think. I just haven't had the time to upload any new craft for a long time. I've made a few modifications to make it function much better as a mothership rather than as a pure combat ship. Redone the back end as well to make it look much sleeker than before and due to having to move the antennae down to make room for a front docking port it has a distinctive 'chin'.

Pic pending as imgur is broken right now. :( Won't let me log in.

407Z1RQ.png

Ummmm......... DL, that is awesome..... MUST HAVE {Temmieing intensifies} (I have Watched TOOO MANY undertale vids LOL

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 1:40 AM, Ogcorp CEO said:

Ummmm......... DL, that is awesome..... MUST HAVE {Temmieing intensifies} (I have Watched TOOO MANY undertale vids LOL

DL will arrive eventually. Haven't been on KSP in ages and so I have 4 or 5 craft that only need tiny things before they can be released. Like action groups or fuel lines.

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 4:08 AM, kmMango said:

Jenkins, what sort of voodoo does it take to make your motherships look this good?!:D

Thanks :) I'd say mainly looking at other ppl stuff for inspiration and ideas about what can be done. Also this craft has been knocking around in some form or another on my PC since 0.19 so plenty of time for adjusting it to look how I want.

(Also porkjets new parts really help a ship look good!)

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.