Recovery Zones Mod (Force recovery only in approved locations)

inigma

For hard core players. A mod to enable players to designate by cheat or part or mod or contract, an acceptable craft recovery zone. Unconfigured, this mod would force recovery of craft near KSC only and not permit recovery anywhere else.

This would require players to engineer and use crew and ship recovery systems to get them to a zone so thy can recover.

Player would have ability to designate alternate or additional recovery zones either by config menu or by dropping off a recovery beacon allowing recovery in a certain radius. Useful to designate recovery zones offworld too.

Extensible Ideas:

- Option would be to allow recovery anywhere not designated as a Recovery Zone, but for a fine. Perhaps this being the default action.
- Beacon part extending Recovery Zones could be one-time use or repeating.
- Beacon part would be offered by the NIMBY Corporation. Edited by inigma

[quote name='Nansuchao']In my opinion this will be great for RSS/RO players, but not at all for stock players. with just one KSC on all Kerbin, it's very difficult in the beginning of a career to reenter on the KSC.[/QUOTE]

Player would have ability to designate alternate or additional recovery zones either by config menu or by dropping off a recovery beacon allowing recovery in a certain radius. Useful to designate recovery zones offworld too. :)

[quote name='inigma']
- Beacon part would be offered by the NIMBY Corporation.[/QUOTE]

Quick question: What does this stand for? My mind comes up with "Not In My Back Yard" which I'm probably going to use for the project name :P

[quote name='magico13']Quick question: What does this stand for? My mind comes up with "Not In My Back Yard" which I'm probably going to use for the project name :P[/QUOTE]

correct. that is what NIMBY stands for. ;)

let me know when u post a github. id love to look at the code and learn something myself.

Got some good progress done today! The GitHub is up along with an alpha release: [url]https://github.com/magico13/NIMBY[/url]

Should support any number of beacons defined in the beacons.cfg file. To define a beacon you just need to give it a name, latitude, longitude, and max range. Currently only Kerbin is supported. Something that would be really cool to add later on down the line would be some way of visualizing the beacon locations and their sizes, but I don't know how to do that. I also don't know how to do parts, so we might need to convince someone to do that for us, or I can try to learn how to do it :)

If you have questions about the code feel free to ask away! I had to do some questionable tricks to figure out what Vessel was selected in the Tracking Station.

E: Also, I'd eventually like to add StageRecovery and KCT support into this, so I'll more than likely be making a basic API at some point. Edited by magico13

[quote name='magico13']Got some good progress done today! The GitHub is up along with an alpha release: [url]https://github.com/magico13/NIMBY[/url]

Should support any number of beacons defined in the beacons.cfg file. To define a beacon you just need to give it a name, latitude, longitude, and max range. Currently only Kerbin is supported. Something that would be really cool to add later on down the line would be some way of visualizing the beacon locations and their sizes, but I don't know how to do that. I also don't know how to do parts, so we might need to convince someone to do that for us, or I can try to learn how to do it :)

If you have questions about the code feel free to ask away! I had to do some questionable tricks to figure out what Vessel was selected in the Tracking Station.

E: Also, I'd eventually like to add StageRecovery and KCT support into this, so I'll more than likely be making a basic API at some point.[/QUOTE]

Awesome sauce!

I will test it asap! Thanks for commenting your work! Oh and feel free to startup the dev thread in Add-On Development, we can get more eyes on this too if we do.

[quote name='inigma']Awesome sauce!

I will test it asap! Thanks for commenting your work! Oh and feel free to startup the dev thread in Add-On Development, we can get more eyes on this too if we do.[/QUOTE]

I'll be out of town for the next few days due to the holiday and then there's the forum migration this weekend, so I might wait till Sunday or so before opening a new thread if that's alright. Let me know if you find anything weird! It's a pretty straightforward mod so it should be easy to diagnose any bugs. If any other mods do the same trick of replacing those buttons then we might run into some problems.

[quote name='magico13']I'll be out of town for the next few days due to the holiday and then there's the forum migration this weekend, so I might wait till Sunday or so before opening a new thread if that's alright. Let me know if you find anything weird! It's a pretty straightforward mod so it should be easy to diagnose any bugs. If any other mods do the same trick of replacing those buttons then we might run into some problems.[/QUOTE]

Cool beans. I'll be testing it this week asap. Just gotta do some bug reporting for nightingale, and release 0.2 of my aerospace contract pack. after that i will get to NIMBY. ill have all day Friday to explore it. have a great week!

[quote name='magico13']Something that would be really cool to add later on down the line would be some way of visualizing the beacon locations and their sizes, but I don't know how to do that.[/QUOTE]

If you just want to mark out the location, easiest thing is to use a waypoint - all you have to do is create it and do WaypointManager.AddWaypoint() to get it to render. Unfortunately, it's limited to career mode.

Rendering the zone would be trickier, I imagine you're getting into shaders for that, which is not my area of expertise either. :)

It's magical! :D

Poor ol' Bill. He flew up with Jeb and Bob on a Kerbal X, only to have the Kerbal X abort, and lose its parachute. Last second EVA before the capsule hit the ground, saved his life. Now he's paralyzed, but has no way to get home. Obviously he needs a medical evac back to KSP ASAP. KSC Coast Guard which has standby aircraft based all over the world, has been alerted and rescue craft are inbound to take him home.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/4Wvl0L9.png[/IMG]

Well done magico13!

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Posted this to reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/3u6woc/nimby_by_magico13_a_recovery_zone_mod_in_alpha/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.