Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 14--Under New Management

Mister Dilsby

...um, yeah. So before the thread devolves into a discussion of "what's on the telly right now where I live", let me just say that the mission is continuing, with some spectacularly white-knuckle moments on my end. Everyone who follows Dilsby's twitter feed already knows what I'm talking about :D 

30 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

...um, yeah. So before the thread devolves into a discussion of "what's on the telly right now where I live", let me just say that the mission is continuing, with some spectacularly white-knuckle moments on my end. Everyone who follows Dilsby's twitter feed already knows what I'm talking about :D 

lolol :wink:

30 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

So before the thread devolves into a discussion of "what's on the telly right now where I live"

What's a 'telly'?

31 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

with some spectacularly white-knuckle moments on my end

Well this sounds fun

31 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Everyone who follows Dilsby's twitter feed already knows what I'm talking about :D 

Wait... A Kerbal has a Twitter feed?!?!?

4 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Yeah, mostly he uses it to troll Jonathan Frakes (and others who I will not name on this Forum), but sometimes he talks about his actual job:

Hahahahaha! I need to get a twitter and follow this guy :D

5 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Yeah, mostly he uses it to troll Jonathan Frakes (and others who I will not name on this Forum), but sometimes he talks about his actual job:

Wait, you haven't answered my 'Telly' question... :(

Holey moho! Two full pages of comments in two days since the last update? I'm glad I started a new thread for the moon pronunciation discussion! As always, I appreciate very much every post that is relevant to the topic of Kerbfleet's mission to Jool. 

That said, here are more pages! And yeah, around Laythe it's kind of hard to NOT make every page a splash page :) 

wklTbiP.png

6cHa8Sx.png

zqWFtZ4.png

eH0pjnH.png

Right, so we did that. Actually we did that a lot of times. After completing the capture burn KE indicated 1400 m/s left in the tanks. I dragged a node to estimate how much it would take to reduce the apoapsis from about 3000 klicks down to something more reasonable for landing and recovery operations...and yeah, that was a few hundred I did not want to spend if I didn't have to. 

So, basically for the last two Earth days Intrepid has been braking in the background while I do other stuff. I lost count, but it took over a dozen passes to get to my target apoapsis of 800 klicks. I didn't want to go too low, as I would have to pay fuel to climb back out of the well no matter what. Hopefully I've calculated the correct sweet spot and we'll have enough in the tanks to accomplish all we set out to do on Laythe, then eject and capture at Pol.

Skimmeroo launches next :) 

Edited by Kuzzter

Unfolding? UH OH! How did you catch me folding an origami crane in class?! :P 

I feel like I need to do a drawing of a Kerbal hanging onto the outside of the ship saying "My face is not hot. My face is not hot. My face is..." 

34 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

'This is fine!'

Yeah, if I had a fiery mustache like that, I would say the exact same thing.

Lol. Kuzzter likes the comic pages sniped out of quotes though... 

Edited by max_creative

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

So, basically for the last two Earth days Intrepid has been braking in the background while I do other stuff. I lost count, but it took over a dozen passes to get to my target apoapsis of 800 klicks

Well, I hear  it's cold up in your part of the world these days.  Hopefully your computer helped heat the house :wink:

51 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Then why did Kenlie say, "It's fine."? They are on fire, only Jeb would think it was fine :wink:.

You might think that, but I take my cues from the in-game reactions of the Kerbals. Everyone on the ship was fine--even Clauselle, who is normally the first one to start freaking out.

I think that the algorithm that determines Kerbal reactions primarily considers the situation the craft is in. Then it applies the "brave/stupid/badS" values of the crew to determine their reactions. One of the more important situation bits is "Crashing/Not Crashing". In this case the ship was "suborbital" due to the fact its periapsis was inside atmosphere, but it was on track to pass out of the atmosphere--hence, not "about to crash". If its periapsis were below ground or if it was spinning like crazy, I think all but the most badS would have indeed been freaking out. As it was, SAS was sufficient to hold prograde, and despite the visuals no parts had even gotten hot enough to show temperature gauges, much less explode.

So, as far as makes sense in the world of KSP, everything was fine. :) 

48 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Yeah, if I had a fiery mustache like that, I would say the exact same thing.

Yes, but--

14 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Lol. Kuzzter likes the comic pages sniped out of quotes though... 

Indeed I do, @DarkOwl57:) It would clutter the pages beyond belief if people quoted the panels, and it really does mess things up for anyone trying to read by scrolling through. I do appreciate that you snipped all but the page you were referring to. If anyone does really need to quote a page to make their point, then OK, but then please put it in a spoiler tag :) 

Well, I hear  it's cold up in your part of the world these days.  Hopefully your computer helped heat the house :wink:

It did get a little hot, yeah--but really, it was fine. *slurp* *melt*

Edited by Kuzzter

1 minute ago, Kuzzter said:

Indeed I do, @DarkOwl57:) It would clutter the pages beyond belief if people quoted the panels, and it really does mess things up for anyone trying to read by scrolling through. I do appreciate that you snipped all but the page you were referring to. If anyone does really need to quote a page to make their point, then OK, but please put it in a spoiler tag around it :) 

Sorry; I'm sorta new to the 'Commenting on comic panels' thing

9 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Fiery faces aside, I don't think this should be happening. They were in a sealed cargo bay, and got reentry effects?

It's just visuals. It was always like this, it's just that nobody really checks the inside of their cargo bays when the outside is on fire and looking generally awesome. But it shouldn't be happening, occluded parts on the outside also have the effects turned off, so it seems like a fairly easy fix should be possible.

4 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

^I do appreciate a reader who knows his meme. :D 

ETA: Whoops, though Jeb is not on the bridge--that's Kenlie. I should have made it more obvious. 

That's okay, things are going to be okay :D

Edited by Deutherius

3 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Fiery faces aside, I don't think this should be happening. They were in a sealed cargo bay, and got reentry effects?

Yeah--doors are closed, and both inline nodes are connected to a solid part. I considered ignoring the effect as being unrealistic but it was just too darn funny not to show :) Hey, maybe it's something else entirely--like, the heat making the plasma screen on the forward bulkhead leak...um, mini sunspots...yeah that's it...

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

Yeah--doors are closed, and both inline nodes are connected to a solid part. I considered ignoring the effect as being unrealistic but it was just too darn funny not to show :) Hey, maybe it's something else entirely--like, the heat making the plasma screen on the forward bulkhead leak...um, mini sunspots...yeah that's it...

Hmmm, so I'm curious, did the crew seem to overheat at all, or is this purely a visual effect? And I'm glad you kept it, it's too good to waste... :wink:

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Definitely a very hot episode! I love the visual effects... how hard was it aero-braking something that big?

I'd expect it would be something along the lines of getting a rhino into a bathtub levels of hard