Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

3 hours ago, Deddly said:

Hillarious :)

Hmm, bullets don't seem to be damaging the Skimmeroo. That craft could come in handy :)

Yeah, I did make the round "SPANG" off of it didn't I? That actually wasn't my original intent--I wanted bullets to penetrate some parts but not others, and was going to show some bullet path lines terminating in holes. But I didn't like the artwork. With all the speech balloons and other effects needed to communicate mayhem I felt that showing the holes was one element too many. 

So, yeah: I guess it's canon now that rocket and spaceplane parts can deflect Kerbulan SMG fire, because artwork. #behindthescenes :) 

26 minutes ago, insert_name said:

Wonder how the kerbulans feel about standing under a reactor, I hope they don't breach it.

Oh you noticed that? :D Fair point--I actually didn't realize myself they were under the reactors until I looked at the published page. Good thing Val locked those out when they went to 'action stations' at the beginning of Chapter 18..,

7 hours ago, Deddly said:

Hillarious :)

Hmm, bullets don't seem to be damaging the Skimmeroo. That craft could come in handy :)

If the craft can survive impacts from micrometeoroids- which are traveling at thousands of km/h relative to the ship- it should have no problem with a few bullets.

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

So, yeah: I guess it's canon now that rocket and spaceplane parts can deflect Kerbulan SMG fire, because artwork. #behindthescenes :) 

I gotchu, man. :wink:

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

If the craft can survive impacts from micrometeoroids- which are traveling at thousands of km/h relative to the ship- it should have no problem with a few bullets.

Yeah micrometeorites, that's the ticket! good thing no one remembers that time Evil Kenlie shot a bunch of holes in the Evestation cupola with his sidearm...

3 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Yeah micrometeorites, that's the ticket! good thing no one remembers that time Evil Kenlie shot a bunch of holes in the Evestation cupola with his sidearm...

It wasn't closed!

1280px-Cupola-close-up-iss022e6691.jpg

Edited by Dman979
Reworded

1 minute ago, obney kerman said:

Well... bullets from sidearms are heavier than ones from machine guns! some of the time...

And even presuming that, say, Kerbulan pistols and SMGs use a common cartridge (let's say, for sake of example, they call it a Nine Mello-Miter Murderballum),  Kenlie was shooting point-blank and orthagonal to his target, while Kurt and Melgee's rounds are striking at oblique angles.

Below is from "Interlude Indigo", which I believe was the first time we all realized the Kerbulans existed in the same solar system and reality as the Kerbals.

Spoiler

iCKqnxI.png

Clearly side-arms are powerful enough to leave either scuffs or chunks of hot lead on a decal on the hull, but I do not see any escaping atmosphere, so clearly they did not fully penetrate if they penetrated at all.(unless the copula was evacuated, then it may or may not have penetrated)

31 minutes ago, Terwin said:

but I do not see any escaping atmosphere, so clearly they did not fully penetrate if they penetrated at all.

Hey you're right! I don't "see" any either! 

<Psshhhh>

...umm, what was that? Well if it WAS escaping air, fair point that it could have just been an outer skin penetration releasing some air, but not the air from the crew compartment which should indeed be pretty well armored against the sort of collisions usual to Kerbal space flight.

Regarding the Skimmeroo, looks like the bullets are striking a fuel/oxidant tank which one would expect to be quite well protected--Bill designed that boat to enter atmosphere, belly land on the ocean, and get back to space. As Bob and Tedus demonstrated, it even works reasonably well as a submarine :D 

21 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

but not the air from the crew compartment which should indeed be pretty well armored against the sort of collisions usual to Kerbal space flight.

So crew compartments are supposed to be secure against lithobreaking?

I may need to speak to my manufacturers as mine tend to explode, even when well below orbital speeds...

Then again, my only 'lost' kerbal did eventually come back, so perhaps he just had to wait for the 'jaws of life'...

Well, well--assuming that Kerbal aircraft skin is about as tough as an Earth frying pan, this video gives the answer every author wants to hear: "it depends"! :) 

As noted previously, Kerbulan SMGs and pistols are chambered in 9mm (mello-miter), but of course I haven't (and won't) provide a conversion to Earth mm. What's the muzzle velocity, you ask? If you've been reading this comic for ANY length of time you already know the answer to that question. :) 

I have a question... Has it ever been really stated what the bullets are made of? I mean yeah, Kerbulans are super aggressive... But that doesn't make them stupid.

I was just joking a few comments back about the bullets being rubber, but maybe Evil Bob figured out that a rubber bullet can poof someone at close range and not puncture a ship hull in the process 

16 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I have a question... Has it ever been really stated what the bullets are made of? I mean yeah, Kerbulans are super aggressive... But that doesn't make them stupid.

I was just joking a few comments back about the bullets being rubber, but maybe Evil Bob figured out that a rubber bullet can poof someone at close range and not puncture a ship hull in the process 

I have to admit, "stating what bullets are made of" in order to specifically preclude them being rubber doesn't quite make my list of necessary expositions :) 

However, clues to composition exist in the text including:

• Evil Kenlie shooting holes in the outer skin of Evestation at close range, observably releasing air (Interlude: Indigo)
  • Aircraft machinegun rounds apparently bringing down Wehrner's decoy capsule--although it could be argued that at least one of those rounds did deflect, and that the capsule was destined to crash regardless (Zweischenspiel)
  • Despair bridge crew warning Dilsby Kermulan that if he missed his shot(s) at Commander Val, he might cause a decompression of the compartment (can't remember--maybe in Collision Course?)

In any case, I'd consider it an author's responsibility to disclose as soon as possible if a given, commonly known object were not composed as a reasonable reader would expect. Really, imagine the outcry if I had Sarge take several shots to the chest, leave you stewing for three pages (i.e., several weeks) and THEN finally reveal that he's OK because "oh! the Kerbulan bullets were rubber all along!" :/  

Anyway, sorry to pick on your comment Jim, but as you know "reliability of the narrative" is one of my favorite subjects. That, and I don't have a new page I can post to get everyone talking about something else :wink: 

Oh, I hear you... and I wouldn't want you to have to come out and say it, no, that would be weird.

I'm just saying, for the sake of argument... Oh, and I don't have any internet until the end of the week, so I can't post anything either. Anyway, my point was just that if we don't really know what kind of bullets they are... soft lead, or something much harder... Or even something unique to Kerbin... who's to say what it could or could not penetrate... That was all.

4 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

That reactor leak has me worried.

Also, given Kenlie's remark, I think Walt may be off looking for a replacement fourth wall right about now...

That's what the fire extinguisher is for. When the plot gets so hot that the fourth wall starts to melt...

Oh - and thanks for this morning's earworm, @Kuzzter:) 

*sings very quietly* "Kuzz gave rock and load to ya. Gave rock and load to ya..."

Edited by KSK