Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 14--Under New Management

Mister Dilsby

5 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Oh, it shouldn't be so bad. Certainly what I'm used to for a long-range ship that values high deltaV. Thought experiment: for a ship in the 1000t range, how much (stock) engine would you need to get a more acceptable TWR? I suppose 4x Kerbodyne Rhinos could do it, that'd bring it up to about 0.8, but with less than half the ISP of the nuclear engines. Intrepid has some margin, but not that much--we'd be out of fuel now with nothing left for capture. Sure, a less ambitious ship would do fine with chemical engines and a higher TWR, but that was never what this mission was about, was it? :) 

And, teasing...

jaRiIHK.png

Woo hoo! :D Now I can make the pages. Note the intercept is actually a little ahead of schedule--NImzo estimated we'd reach Jool on Year 9 Day 110, and that periapsis is for 9-64. Of course, nothing's certain until the final correction burn.

Still haven't decided exactly what track to plot on system entry, but I should probably visit Bop or Pol first so we can refuel. Tylo assist would certainly be in order, and fun to execute. Laythe or Jool aerobraking: not so much :) 

That's a really good question. But it contains at least one unwarranted assumption, and I'm not talking about SpongeBob.

No, there's a character in SpongeBob that says "Evil" really funny.

On 4/4/2016 at 8:07 PM, Kuzzter said:

Hm. I've noticed that the users most known for their taglines are really more known for what they write above the tagline:

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

...at least, I tend to notice these kinds of things :) 

Well, I almost missed that, and it made my day in the end! Also, :blush: ... one does one's best.

Rune. In unrelated news, the comic is going great, interesting times ahead! :)

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

I think what @KAL 9000 was getting at was "how is it even possible that there exists this parallel world so similar to Kerbin, when no one from either planet knows of the other's existence?" Hopefully, if I ever do give an explanation, the readers will find it plausible. I'm sure it won't be as bad as the multiple alien parallel worlds encountered by the Enterprise, including at least one that duplicated all of Earth's history up to WWIII

The way I see it, the Kerbulians have been too busy with sectarian conflicts at home to look outwards, and the Kerbals haven't ever looked that way during the few chances they've had before.  Until now, of ocurse.  The Kerbulians discovered Kerbin first, and the only Kerbal who currently knows he's seen Kerbulus doubts his own sanity.  But that won't matter in short order because I doubt the rest of Intrepid's crew will be able to ignore Kerbulus much longer.  Whether they see it or not, there will be gravitational effects that their instruments will pick up, especially if they can hack the universe itself already :)

Edited by Geschosskopf

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

Now now, @Geschosskopf--you should know as well as anyone that all gravity effects end at a body's SOI. :) Everything else you said is spot on though.

Hoist by my own petard! (which is another French word, and quite vulgar at that, so I apologize in advance on both counts).  

21 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Oh, it shouldn't be so bad. Certainly what I'm used to for a long-range ship that values high deltaV. Thought experiment: for a ship in the 1000t range, how much (stock) engine would you need to get a more acceptable TWR? I suppose 4x Kerbodyne Rhinos could do it, that'd bring it up to about 0.8, but with less than half the ISP of the nuclear engines. Intrepid has some margin, but not that much--we'd be out of fuel now with nothing left for capture. Sure, a less ambitious ship would do fine with chemical engines and a higher TWR, but that was never what this mission was about, was it? :) 

If you are trying to maximize dv should you not have burned off the heavier LFO fuel first?(ie use up your oxidizer in your kerbodynes as part of the ejection burn then go with the more efficient nuclear engines after burning off the relatively heavier fuel)

16 minutes ago, Terwin said:

If you are trying to maximize dv should you not have burned off the heavier LFO fuel first?(ie use up your oxidizer in your kerbodynes as part of the ejection burn then go with the more efficient nuclear engines after burning off the relatively heavier fuel)

Absolutely correct--but if I ever run out of oxidant, I can't refuel! Qwammer and the Intrepid's ventral landing engines both require it. Also, while I allowed a 4-hour window in which to execute the ejection burn, I may have less time for capture. So I did indeed trade some dV for safety :)   

Uh-oh.  It looks like Kenlie's really on the edge.

His experience with writing fiction and hallucinating seeing through Kerbulan eyes has been about blurring the boundaries between fantasy and reality, but now they seem to be erased completely.

What's worse is his last statement.  That means nobody will be told until it's too late!  Oh, noooooo!

Happy Concerned Nervous Anxious Frightened Alarmed landings!

Edited by Starhawk

6 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

Plot twist: Parkaboy is actually Kenlie! Or is it the other way around?

I think we can rule that one out; @Parkaboy is a much better writer! And remember, yes this was a Kappa shoutout, but so was the whole crossover in which Looty Kernel Jeb Kerman of the Kerbfleet Air Service did indeed jump through an alien computer thingy and end up in another reality. He just doesn't remember it, nor does Kerbfleet Bill. ;)