Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 14--Under New Management

Mister Dilsby

Every time i see the "Intrepid" i start thinking about the bridge design: how comes that it reminds me of a certain guy with a unusual hoody... ermmmm errrm (have to google him), yes, he, the "Reaper" guy?
What is in the hoody, or the the "Stocking cap"? Serves it a certain function? Is it ... lethal?
Does it even ...? :confused: I am really bugged of this construction feature, please excuse :rolleyes:...

Just now, Mikki said:

Every time i see the "Intrepid" i start thinking about the bridge design: how comes that it reminds me of a certain guy with a unusual hoody... ermmmm errrm (have to google him), yes, he, the "Reaper" guy?

Yeah, I've been putting those "masts" on the ends of Mk3 ships ever since, well, forever!  Or at least before I started making comics. The following are all in v0.90, and predate the Kerbfleet S.A.V.E. and canon:

KSS Kerbin Maru orbiting Ike. She was part of a flotilla that included a spaceplane lander and a wheeled mobile surface lab for Duna. And I remember being really, really impressed with myself that I could dock the Ike lander back in the cargo bay. Ha! Back then I didn't even need an LSO!

cS7vkh4.png

And here's KSS Wasabi Maru towing my v0.90 "Eveorama" lander into position. Doesn't it look a bit like the M7? In this case, Wasabi Maru's  tail boom was actually useful in putting some distance between the lander and the LV-N engine cluster. Unfortunately it turned out to not be enough to fire all the engines with the lander in position. Experiences like this led to the practice of mounting a ring of LV-Ns further forward as is done in the Kranefly class asteroid hauler.

Jk7wmX9.png

Closer shot, this one of the Eveorama upper stage docked on the boom after a successful landing and liftoff:

wfYsFSs.png

So yeah, this early mission had a lot of similarities to what you saw in Order Zero: somehow I managed to pull it off in v0.90 without surface refueling, or getting half the mission crew court-martialed.

...and while I'm getting my Vall orbit settled and fueling Qwammer, here's a cross-post from this thread about human actors to cast in a Kerbal movie.

My picks for the stock characters:

Will Smith as Jebediah Kerman (or maybe Will Farrell. I coud go either way on this one)
Benedict Cumberbatch as Bob Kerman
Robert Downey Jr. as Bill Kerman 
Kate Mulgrew as Valentina Kerman
Cristoph Waltz as Wernher von Kerman
LeVar Burton as Linus Kerman
Ed Harris as Gene Kerman (I know, I know, too obvious--but come on, it'd be awesome!)
Michael Chiklis as Gus Kerman
Aziz Anzari as Mortimer Kerman

...and I couldn't resist adding one particular non-stock character:

Dame Maggie Smith as Admiral Shirley Kerman

So, wondering if any particular actors come to mind for other Kerbfleet personnel we know and love? And based on what you've read in the comics, would you cast any of the above differently? 

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

So, wondering if any particular actors come to mind for other Kerbfleet personnel we know and love? And based on what you've read in the comics, would you cast any of the above differently? 

Kenlie Kerman - Billy Eichner

On September 23, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Kuzzter said:

Yeah, I've been putting those "masts" on the ends of Mk3 ships ever since, well, forever!  Or at least before I started making comics. The following are all in v0.90, and predate the Kerbfleet S.A.V.E. and canon:

KSS Kerbin Maru orbiting Ike. She was part of a flotilla that included a spaceplane lander and a wheeled mobile surface lab for Duna. And I remember being really, really impressed with myself that I could dock the Ike lander back in the cargo bay. Ha! Back then I didn't even need an LSO!

cS7vkh4.png

And here's KSS Wasabi Maru towing my v0.90 "Eveorama" lander into position. Doesn't it look a bit like the M7? In this case, Wasabi Maru's  tail boom was actually useful in putting some distance between the lander and the LV-N engine cluster. Unfortunately it turned out to not be enough to fire all the engines with the lander in position. Experiences like this led to the practice of mounting a ring of LV-Ns further forward as is done in the Kranefly class asteroid hauler.

Jk7wmX9.png

Closer shot, this one of the Eveorama upper stage docked on the boom after a successful landing and liftoff:

wfYsFSs.png

So yeah, this early mission had a lot of similarities to what you saw in Order Zero: somehow I managed to pull it off in v0.90 without surface refueling, or getting half the mission crew court-martialed.

And 1.2 will have the Dragon fly! Except a lot bigger and it currently only exists on a piece of paper. :( Plus the tail is waaaaaaaaay longer... And it has cupola eyes and a mk2 cargo bay mouth... 

Still waiting for 1.2... Just playing Minecraft... Don't expect anything interesting from me until then...

I was reading Star Trek (yes, someone adapted some episodes into reader form) and I just realized that you stole the Kerbulans from the episode "Mirror, Mirror," where everything is reversed. Starfleet's morals, the morals of the crew, the savage behavior and ranking up thru assassination...I could go on and on.

I'm impressed that you could make us cheer against those cute little space minions, even if they are evil. I assume everything will work out alright in the end, though. It always does.

Edited by TopHeavy11

1 hour ago, TopHeavy11 said:

[...] and I just realized that you stole the Kerbulans from the episode "Mirror, Mirror," where everything is reversed. Starfleet's morals, the morals of the crew, the savage behavior and ranking up thru assassination...I could go on and on.

"Stole"?!! Borrowed, I say! Pastiched! Homaged! (wait, are those even verbs?) The very idea! Next you'll say I ripped off Airplane! and Robert Frost! And A Few Good Men! Speaking of which, call my lawyer!

And while all that's going on, here are a few more pages I stole made. :D 

w8XliQI.png

J7RQw25.png

6VEeevY.png

Edited by Kuzzter
mis-ordered pages

21 minutes ago, Mikki said:

... errrm cool update! Wi... will gals-talk happen? (Runs away, very fast.) 

Hm, perhaps science officer Bechdel Kerman could run a few tests?

In other news, Lisa is now the sole female kerb on a ship with eight boys, one of whom is Jeb. But I don't think we'll be adding a "Lisa principle" trope to the Canon page any time soon, at least so long as Joss is my co-pilot. :wink: