Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 15--Did you see that?

Mister Dilsby

2 hours ago, waterlubber said:

Our wonderful engineer's reaction to F5/F9 and save files reminds me of Guinan.

Oh, I know what one you mean.... the time-loop episode where the Enterprise-C comes back. You're right, it's a very good comparison indeed!!!  

18 hours ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

Wow I can't believe it's been almost a year since this odyssey began. 

18 hours ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

@Kuzzter, are you intending to make the next post coincide with the birthday of  "A Jool Odyssey?"

Wow--you guys remembered my anniversary? Awwww...that's so nice! But nope, I was not going to wait for the 23rd to post, though I did hope to be at Laythe by then. We'll see! For now, the beginning of the long-promised Interlude. :) 

nmtO12k.png

avgfFlc.png

6 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

I knew it would come down to this :)

Interesting that you should say that.

Somehow I don't think it will come down to this.  Although I'm sure Kenlie thinks his acumen at cheks will be vital in the final confrontation, Kuzzter has convinced me otherwise.

While a 'Balance of Terror' type of episode could be very gratifying, I foresee a somewhat different interaction.

Only the dead one knows - and he's not telling.  Yet.  :)

Happy Concerned Nervous Anxious Frightened landings!

I'm waiting for the Kraken egg to hatch, and maybe intervene by throwing the metaphorical Kheksboard across the room.

Also, it reminds me of a Star Trek TNG episode where, in the b-plot, Data plays a grandmaster at a weird strategy game, and 'wins' by playing for a stalemate to prevent a loss, until the opponent gets frustrated and gives up.

1 minute ago, FlyingPete said:

Also, it reminds me of a Star Trek TNG episode where, in the b-plot, Data plays a grandmaster at a weird strategy game, and 'wins' by playing for a stalemate to prevent a loss, until the opponent gets frustrated and gives up.

Well, I'll tell you a secret--I was all set to have Bill Kerman, Engineer Supreme save the day by trapping the entire S.A.V.E. in an F5/F9 loop and not letting them out until the Kerbulans agreed to leave Intrepid alone...

BILL: Gene Kermulan, I've come to bargain!
*slurp* *WHAM! WHAM! WHAM!* SPLORTCH!*

*BLAM* *BLAM* *BLAM*

*STABBY STABBY* *BLEED* *DIE*

*BZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!* *urk* *thud*

...but then someone went and beat me to it, so now I have to change the entire ending. 

Kenlie better know what he's doing, I think he may end up at the controls of the Intrepid at the critical moment.

I hope that crew will be able to see Kerbin once more. Also, why didn't they pack a Glock 17?!

2 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

What's that? A gun, you say? I don't know what those are either. Kerbals are peaceful and naive, and such instruments of deliberate pain are unthinkable.

Very true, I just suddenly forgot what I was saying! What's a Gluk? I'm definitely not a Kerbulan. Why would you say that? No...... Definitely...

Edited by DMSP

7 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Wow--you guys remembered my anniversary? Awwww...that's so nice! But nope, I was not going to wait for the 23rd to post, though I did hope to be at Laythe by then. We'll see! For now, the beginning of the long-promised Interlude. :) 

(snipped some good metaphorical language)

(snipped Kenlie musing about checks)

The board appears to be in a checkmate (chekmatey?) position, with the black queen (not sure what that corresponds to in Kerbfleet) cutting off the king (Kwing) to all sides except the up-right and the black pawn (pod) doing the check. White still has a pawn though. Anyone that knows about chess want to come and see what excellent metaphorical hint @Kuzzter has written into that particular position? Maybe in the way the position is reached? Maybe the pawn can't win the game but can make some little move that matters?

As far as I can tell it's:

• White king D1
  • Black pawn E2
  • Black queen C3
  • White pawn G4

Been a while since I played chess so I may be wrong. It appears @Kuzzter faithfully executed the chessboard (size and rotation correct) this time, and each piece must take huge effort, so the pawn probably means something for the plot. Unless it's just to show that Kenlie isn't losing completely - but that may mean something for the plot as well.

Get overanalyzing!

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

Seriously???  Do you NOT remember the last time @Kuzzter fired a gun in space???  :rolleyes:

I remember all too well. Spare us.

1) Reads comic page 1.

2) Briefly envisions myself fighting macey-dean style battles in space in KSP.

3) Reads comic page 2.

4) Briefly wonders If I could possibly win a game of chess with half of the pieces.

5) The Final Countdown starts playing in my head. *Totally* not because I'm listening to it in the background.

6) Gets incredibly hyped up for the big battle scene (if there is one).

7) Takes so long writing this comment that I have to restart The Final Countdown before autoplay - actually, autoplay will take it to another cover of The Final Countdown. So I'll let it play through this time.

8) I re-read both comic pages.

Can't wait for Laythe!

1 minute ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Been a while since I played chess so I may be wrong. It appears @Kuzzter faithfully executed the chessboard (size and rotation correct) this time, and each piece must take huge effort, so the pawn probably means something for the plot. Unless it's just to show that Kenlie isn't losing completely - but that may mean something for the plot as well.

Um... I really appreciate this, but nope, the pieces are entirely random and there is no real position. In fact, there aren't even two Kwings on the board! I didn't even rotate the board for the third panel. ( you can tell by the colors of the corner squares) I almost didn't even move the pieces in that shot, but decided that was too lazy, even for me :) 

So, you caught me out, @greenTurtle1134! I'm so embarrassed. Finally, someone takes the time to examine all the little details, and there's nothing there! I'm just a humbug.

But I'll make it up to you. Not only will there be an update tomorrow, but in that update I will finish this interlude... and that update will include a complete game for you to study!

Just now, Ultimate Steve said:

4) Briefly wonders If I could possibly win a game of chess with half of the pieces.

Well, you can find out--install the app "Really Bad Chess" on the device of your choice. You'll get a randomly generated board, you'll be VERY confused, and you'll have a blast!

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

Seriously???  Do you NOT remember the last time @Kuzzter fired a gun in space???  :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

I remember all too well. Spare us

There is nothing wrong with a gun being fired in vacuum. But without proper grip on any surface that time it recoiled quite badly

On 11/21/2016 at 5:14 PM, Kuzzter said:

So, you caught me out, @greenTurtle1134! I'm so embarrassed. Finally, someone takes the time to examine all the little details, and there's nothing there! I'm just a humbug.

But I'll make it up to you. Not only will there be an update tomorrow, but in that update I will finish this interlude... and that update will include a complete game for you to study!

Aw shucks! As I said it's been some time since I played cheks checks crosses chess.

Also, I'm somewhat proud at attracting the attention of the dead author.

(then)

On 11/21/2016 at 1:21 PM, Kuzzter said:

Well, I'll tell you a secret--I was all set to have Bill Kerman, Engineer Supreme save the day by trapping the entire S.A.V.E. in an F5/F9 loop and not letting them out until the Kerbulans agreed to leave Intrepid alone...

After seeing this, I want to put out more speculation, just to bother @Kuzzter more.

SO!

Remember the Kraken egg from a while ago? Small, purple, quantum, found near a spacetime distortion?

Required reading: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Galaxy's_Child_(episode)

Star Trek episode, The Next Generation #89, aired March 11 1991

Summary: The Enterprise is attacked by a ship-sized free-floating in space horseshoe crab shaped alien (a textbook SpaceWhale and LivingShip). It returns fire, and kills the entity. They find that it was about to give birth (is holding a smaller, similar creature) and resolve to free the young alien. They successfully free it from the corpse of its mother, but it attaches to the Enterprise's stardrive section and begins drawing power from the reactors like it would suck milk from its mother. Picard decides to bring it home, and tows the thing to a nearby asteroid belt whose chemical composition matches the entity's. Once they are there, they have difficulty releasing the young entity, but this is solved by LaForge and his crush (!).

You see the parallels, yes? Dead mother entity of unknown energy manipulating capacities - check. Species lives in vacuum and microgravity - check. Baby recovered from corpse of mother - check. Baby brought on mothership on a cross-system hop - check. Then consider what this comic is referencing, all the time, from the start, even in the name!

So... yeah. The egg probably plays a big role; maybe it initially tries to consume the Intrepid but they redirect it to the Despair. Either way, it almost certainly dies. If it attacks the Kerbulans, it's a HeroicSacrifice and dies after firing an energy pulse at the enemy. Otherwise, it gets hit in the first volley while still half grown to be used as a SacrificialLamb. Either way, its chances are slim.

Well, that's enough overspeculation for one post I think?

Edited by greenTurtle1134
A few more crossed out things.

Sticking with the simulation angle, maybe Kenlie will configure the "Bill Space Program" simulator to feed the Kerbulans false telemetry...

Kurt Kermulan: Leader! Sixteen enemy baguettes approaching!

Not-Kurt Kermulan: And all armed with cheese! We must home-going!

I also call First-Law on their also-mad counterparts in rehab back on Kerbin...

On 11/21/2016 at 7:21 PM, Geschosskopf said:

But everything Kuzzter does is for a reason, so the game has to have some bearing on the outcome, directly or indirectly.

Oh no, they're catching on!

On 11/21/2016 at 9:00 PM, waterlubber said:

Something something no-win situation Kerbayashi something somethin...

NIMZO: "No, Bill! Don't go in there! The radiation--you'll flood the whole compartment!"
BILL: "Bob! You can't die! You just can't--um, what are you doing with your hand?"
BOB: "I'm trying to make that stupid 'live long and prosper' sign but it's just not working--seriously, there's half a dozen separate animation controls for our lips but NONE for our fingers? Arrghh!"

18 hours ago, Deddly said:

As I recall, Valentina Kerman sacrificed herself to win the Kerbahashi Maru simulation (though the crew botched it up by pressing the self-destruct button)

Correct! Ah, I love it when someone remembers. Just for completeness--of the other known Command school candidates to take the exam, Cadet Dilsby went down with the ship, transmitting science back to Kerbin with his final breath. Cadet Bill pressed ALT-F12, edited the simulator's persistence file, kicked down the simulator's simulated fourth wall and was subsequently kicked out of the Command program entirely. :D 

And now, as promised, the rest of the Interlude.

8LVoTj1.png

SRe4wSu.png

4bnqdyD.png

Spoiler

DUN, DUN, DUNNNNN!!!!!

Edited by Kuzzter
un-spoiler'd last panel