Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 14--Under New Management

Mister Dilsby

4 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Because he can, and considering he's 86 years old, how many more years does he have to do this stuff?
I say if he's healthy enough (which he was at the time), go for it!

Yeah... I'm 54 and my back is a mess, but if someone said I could go to the South Pole for free, how could I, or anyone for that matter, say no? Or at least give it a try???   

3 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

What is it about 'badS' you don't understand, exactly? :D 

Exactly!  :cool:

Now back to something else not really on topic... lol... do you know if that Camera Focus Changer mod you mentioned is compatible with 1.2? I am really curious about trying it.

44 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Yeah... I'm 54 and my back is a mess, but if someone said I could go to the South Pole for free, how could I, or anyone for that matter, say no? Or at least give it a try???

Like this. ahem. HECK NO! I HAVE NO WISH TO FREEZE TO DEATH IN A FROZEN BARREN WASTELAND!

But sir, they have penguins...

*Thinks a minute*

Where's my coat?

Edited by monstah
Removed political content

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

Now back to something else not really on topic... lol... do you know if that Camera Focus Changer mod you mentioned is compatible with 1.2? I am really curious about trying it.

Isn't it obselete in 1.2? From the title, it looks like that functionality is present in stock.

46 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Besides, Penguin is good eating. :)

Excuse me? What did you just say? Do you mean to tell me that you EAT those adorable balls of fluff? HOW COULD YOU?!?!?

Edited by monstah
Removed political content from quote

Okay guys I can't tell anyone what to do here but personally now that you all know about and are thinking of Buzz, I am going back to posting about Kerbals :wink: 

14 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Thanks for the topic check :) I can't answer though since we're still in 1.1.3. Would appreciate a report on that myself.

23 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Do you know if that Camera Focus Changer mod you mentioned is compatible with 1.2? I am really curious about trying it.

7 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I can't answer though since we're still in 1.1.3. Would appreciate a report on that myself.

There is a 1.2.x version of the mod, but I've not tried it. The core functionality of Camera Focuser (setting focus to another part) is now stock. I've found that to work just as well for my purposes as the mod, though I have to admit having it as a keybinding instead of a left-click alt menu option was nice. 

That said, I've found using a 3D mouse to get the exact angle I want to be a bit easier. 

5 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Thanks for the topic check :) I can't answer though since we're still in 1.1.3. Would appreciate a report on that myself.

FYI, Camera Focus Changer has been updated to 1.2.x for at least a month already.  Works fine, too.  So don't let that keep you from updating the game.

Good luck taking off from Laythe's oceans.  I have sometimes found it to require pumping all fuel aft just to get the nose up, then quickly back forward for proper trim before the thing does a backflip.

Edited by Geschosskopf

22 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Since then, listening to comments from @Geschosskopf and others I began to understand that the air and water on Laythe is a bit different from Kerbin's--but by that time the plane was docked in the hangar bay and there was no going back. So I didn't bother to simulate a landing and takeoff then, either. What you're seeing in the panels above is the first time I've ever put any craft into Laythe's atmosphere, in any S.A.V.E. or any KSP version, ever.

So I guess we (and Bob) are all going to find out what happens together :D 

While getting to orbit is easier on Laythe than it is on Kerbin, landing (and taking off) is harder.

The lower gravity does not fully compensate for the lower pressure, hence you need more wings on Laythe.   Otherwise you will be going very fast when you land or/and at a very high angle of attack.

The later is fine if you have a pair of wheels just behind CoM, but if the wheels are to far form CoM it will lead to the plane slamming the nose gear into the ground and flipping.

I have done the mistake of not testing properly and have sometimes been able to pull off high speed landings with an high angle off attack by pitching down just before touchdown.

Edit:  Water landings are alot easier, but takeoff is harder.   You could land in the water close to the coast and then roll up on land to take off.

Edited by Nefrums

16 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

FYI, Camera Focus Changer has been updated to 1.2.x for at least a month already.  Works fine, too.  So don't let that keep you from updating the game.

Good luck taking off from Laythe's oceans.  I have sometimes found it to require pumping all fuel aft just to get the nose up, then quickly back forward for proper trim before the thing does a backflip.

If I'm not mistaken, Camera Focus Changer is even a stock feature in 1.2.x. (I think it requires advanced tweakables to be turned on.)

Ok regarding Laythe's air and oceans, thanks all for the advice! You should know that we have now reached the point in gameplay Tedus and Bob are beyond the point where advice would help them. Speculation is, of course, always welcome :) 

Am building some more craft now for the Thrilling Conclusion to our tale--I think you'll be, well, thrilled. :wink: 

2 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

If I'm not mistaken, Camera Focus Changer is even a stock feature in 1.2.x. (I think it requires advanced tweakables to be turned on.)

Yeah, the "Aim Camera" tweakable does seem to have rather the same functionality.

As far as I got it the lower gravity of Laythe changes the atmosphere compared to Kerbin. While, at sea level, there's lower pressure on Laythe, the pressure decays at a lower rate due to the lower gravity, so in higher layers there's a higher pressure compared to Kerbin. That is, Laythe's atmosphere is more homogeneous. However, I do have no idea whether this has any measurable effects on space craft as I didn't attempt to land there yet...

On 2016-12-03 at 8:17 AM, Kuzzter said:

Ok regarding Laythe's air and oceans, thanks all for the advice! You should know that we have now reached the point in gameplay Tedus and Bob are beyond the point where advice would help them. Speculation is, of course, always welcome :) 

Am building some more craft now for the Thrilling Conclusion to our tale--I think you'll be, well, thrilled. :wink: 

Oooooooooooolala!!!!!

Edited by Wildcat111

On 12/3/2016 at 10:17 AM, Kuzzter said:

Conclusion? its ending?;.;

Last time people started realising that the series was coming to a conclusion, there was a huge discussion about where @Kuzzter should go next. I'm just pre-empting such a discussion by saying: Please let's not do that big discussion again, for Kuzzter's sake. Is that OK?