Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 15--Did you see that?

Mister Dilsby

Just to let you all know I've now updated the OP with a link to the complete Imgur album for Chapter 17. I normally do this a few days after a chapter closes, without fanfare...but I think that reading this particular chapter all at once might be quite a different experience from seeing it come 2-3 pages at a time, with a few days' worth of comments in between, as originally posted on the thread. Hope you enjoy :)

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

That definitely does make it different... but but, what about the ocean of Laythe? What's it made of...?

Much less salt content, I'd imagine.

(Insert underhanded joke about the nature of the internet here.)

Edited by hidude398

Wow, that's quite the armada, and that gives me an idea as to how they deal with the Kerbulan raider, they aren't armed but they don't need to be.

Before I give my theory, I should note that the Kerbulans' policy is not to leave unless they have used all their missiles (and I doubt the other cruise missile will be particularly effective against spacecraft). Ok, we know they think the Kerbals to be as warlike as themselves so the sight of that huge formation (particularly if they saw them launch, again, I'd love to see the look on their faces when the Enterprise took to the skies) bearing down on them (if the Enterprise can pick them up which I think it can) will probably make them panic. Yes they are all unarmed but the Kerbulans don't know that, to them it will look like a huge response, they didn't cripple the Kerbals and now their cover's blown and their raider (now low on munitions) is facing a huge enemy fleet, in short: a bad thing in their eyes. Probably the construction of the enterprise will make this worse as that will be their first target to fire upon but if they hit the deck, they might not have an effect (panels like that are among the toughest components in the game, often used for armour, in universe it would have to be tough to avoid sinking the ship should a plane accidentally crash into the deck), only making it seem worse in their eyes.

What this apparent show of force will do may shake them significantly, along with the presence of Gregmore who I'm sure is going to have a big role finally (aside from a running gag) as he's wanted to since Eve.

Just my 2c at the moment.

Aku

12 hours ago, Deddly said:

Forgot to say that is was priceless how Gene interrupted that last guy.

What do you mean? Glide Four had stopped speaking for at least long enough for someone else to start before Gene spoke. :P

(also, Kuzzter-- I know what you did in that last panel. You scallywag.)

Edited by 0111narwhalz

28 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

also, Kuzzter-- I know what you did in that last panel. You scallywag.)

Lol yeah, that's a composite... but all four Gliidos are up there legit, it was just a lot easier doing it that way than to worry about them drifting out of the shot. 

Those Gliidos, by the way, are The 7LR variant which has an extra short LF section rather than the 4-kerb crew compartment found on the 7P. So, they've got a lot left in the tanks for whatever comes next. :wink: 

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Lol yeah, that's a composite... but all four Gliidos are up there legit, it was just a lot easier doing it that way than to worry about them drifting out of the shot. 

Those Gliidos, by the way, are The 7LR variant which has an extra short LF section rather than the 4-kerb crew compartment found on the 7P. So, they've got a lot left in the tanks for whatever comes next. :wink: 

here these people are creating variants of their SSTO's while doing a story while i'm sitting over here wondering how i got a aris 3A into a suborbital trajectory by leaving the computer for five minutes. I promise you that if i had a ssto, i would be fist pumping and celebrating, then adding a antenna and somehow breaking it.

3 minutes ago, Deddly said:

I just realised that Kerbfleet has its very own stealth craft :).

"I believe it uses the SEP Stealth Drive's cousin..."

"...Well?!"

"Sorry, sir. I forgot what I was saying!"

Edited by 0111narwhalz
SEP = Someone Else's Problem

On 1/14/2017 at 2:31 PM, hidude398 said:

True dedication to the fandom. Applause. 

On 1/15/2017 at 7:09 PM, Kuzzter said:

:D For which I am VERY grateful. Can't say enough how much I appreciate those little homages--and of course @Angel-125's plasma screens without which Intrepid wouldn't have a proper command bridge! Also not a lot of people know this, but he also gave me a mod that really helps with the space doors. So, I guess I'm a Wild Blue fan, too!

I'm becoming one as well!!!. @Angel-125 is a great guy, and while I don't really need any custom parts made, he's gone well out of his way putting up with my endless questions helping me understand how all his mods work, for which I am really grateful!

OK, back on topic.... 

On top of everything else, I absolutely love the Kerbfleet battle call:

"For Science!!!"  

:cool:

The Intrepid crew have Jeb on their side - the Kerbulan's arguments are automatically invalid.

Seriously - this is the kerbal who can fly anything that flies - and a few things that can't. If anyone can pull out a brilliant/inspired/so utterly crazy that the Kerbulan's wouldn't even consider it (delete as appropriate) solution to this, then it's Jeb. 

Although this is the same Jeb who would dive into an unknown and unknowable alien artifact to save his buddy. Which makes me fearful that Sad Things could happen here. :( 

Edited by KSK

1 hour ago, KSK said:

The Intrepid crew have Jeb on their side - the Kerbulan's arguments are automatically invalid.

Yeah, good thing the Kerbulans don't have a Jeb... oh wait they do! 

Can Jeb Kermulan fly as well as Our Hero? You bet your sweet green bippy he can! Now, would he dive into an alien artifact to save his buddy? Um...do Kerbulans even know that word? Hm. Hmmmm!!!!

ETA: Oh, and @Dman979, it occurred to me just now that those crew portraits in the last page give some fairly good looks at the various uniforms:

Eng. Jr Looty Command Comder Air Service LtK Science Looty KSMC Sarjint
Air Svc Kaptin Eng. Lt. Comder Sci. Lt. Comder Sci Jr. Looty Eng. Enzin

Command Captin and Admiral in panel at far right. Not pictured: Fleet pilot Jr. Looty (captured, agonized) 

Edited by Kuzzter

13 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Yeah, good thing the Kerbulans don't have a Jeb... oh wait they do! 

Can Jeb Kermulan fly as well as our hero? You bet your sweet green bippy he can! Now, would he dive into an alien artifact to save his buddy? Um...do Kerbulans even know that word? Hm. Hmmmm!!!!

Artifact: An old useless piece of junk. 

"All our fighters are artifacts!" 

See also: Trash 

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

ETA: Oh, and @Dman979, it occurred to me just now that those crew portraits in the last page give some fairly good looks at the various uniforms:

Very true. On the other hand, the ranks look like buttons. Is it possible to have Kerbfleet undergo a small uniform revision at the end of the Odyssey (if it survives!) and make them horizontal?

20 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Artifact: An old useless piece of junk. 

"All our fighters are artifacts!" 

See also: Trash 

I'm gonna guess that he meant "buddy."

See also: Rival, competition, subordinate

59 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Very true. On the other hand, the ranks look like buttons. Is it possible to have Kerbfleet undergo a small uniform revision at the end of the Odyssey (if it survives!) and make them horizontal?

I actually tried that first, per TNG, and it didn't work. Trouble is that if I place them up high, in most poses the whole row of pips would be occluded by that danged helmet collar. I would have had to place the whole row where the 2nd pip is right now, which looked even worse in low-angle shots.

So, I turned them vertical, so that you could at least see something in every shot, and if I ever needed you to see all the pips at once including the top one I would just lower the camera. And if you could only see the second pip you could still tell Melbe and Lisa apart, which on Intrepid is really the worst opportunity for visual confusion. (...though before you complain that only I remember that Lisa is a full looty and Melbe is a junior, remember that (1) I try to build out all these details to the point of satisfying anyone interested enough to look for them, whether or not such a person is out there...and I do think that there are such people out there, and (2) visual cues aren't the only way to communicate, y'all :))

Anyway, it was at this point that I remembered how much I liked the uniforms in Wrath of Khan, so I added those white lines to represent the jacket closure, and in fact the pips did become buttons. Yes, there's also velcro in there, otherwise the poor enzins would be running around with their jackets open all the time :) 

On 2017-01-17 at 6:38 PM, StupidAndy said:

I knew that picture looked weird!

the relative velocity was too much!

I like your sig very much! GO PACKERS/PARTRIOTS GO!!!!!!!

Edited by Wildcat111